News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiFAQs

Started by Agent88, November 07, 2015, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent88

How about updating the OBiFAQs? Under the 202, the instructions to find the WAN access protocol says: "Alternatively, you may use the OBi Expert Configuration page via the OBiTALK web portal to enable WAN access.
- Sign in to www.OBiTALK.com (link)
- Select the OBi202 from the OBi Dashboard
- Go to: System Management - Device Admin
- In the Web Server area, you may enable AccessFromWAN by checking the available box."

THERE IS NO "SYSTEM MANAGEMENT" OPTION, MUCH LESS "DEVICE ADMIN".

More than likely it has been replaced by some other procedure.  To keep out of date instructions in the FAQ adds more frustration to a new or occasional user.

drgeoff

I suspect that you are not entering the Expert Configuration area on the portal for your 202.  The FAQ does mention "Expert Configuration" in the opening sentence of the bit you quoted, but it isn't detailed in the bullet list.

I don't have a 202, so the screenshot is from my 110 which doesn't have the LAN/WAN demarcation and hence doesn't have the WAN access setting in the Device Admin section.

SteveInWA

The FAQ instructions are correct.  Getting to "Expert mode" wasn't explained step-by-step, however, it was listed, as drgeoff noted.

This is the OBi 202 screenshot:

Agent88

Negatory, guys.  I don't get the option on my OBiTalk page.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Agent88 on November 08, 2015, 02:08:04 PM
Negatory, guys.  I don't get the option on my OBiTalk page.

You're missing the point we're trying to make:  you won't see that option on the page you posted.  It's the basic, overview of your account, which only shows a one-line listing for your device.

You need to click on that device name, then click the various buttons to get into Expert mode.

Agent88

drgeoff

Either of these two places!

On the Dashboard you need to click on "Edit profile" and then scroll to the bottom and ensure the "Enable Obi Expert ...." is ticked.

Agent88

AH!

Thanks!.... then I need to select Expert mode again... obviously written by someone in the Department of Redundancy Department.  ;D

You know, it wouldn't hurt to make that clear in the FAQ steps. 

SteveInWA

Yes, that is so aggravating, and I am very familiar with the redundant workings of the redundant department of redundancy.  I guess it is a way to emphasize to bozo users that they are about to get into territory that may screw up their device.

If it bothers you, you can enable a one-click, red "E" button (see screenshot below).

• Click "Edit profile" on the main OBiTALK portal page.
  • Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and select "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard" and submit your change.

LTN1

Quote from: Agent88 on November 08, 2015, 02:58:40 PM
AH!

Thanks!.... then I need to select Expert mode again... obviously written by someone in the Department of Redundancy Department.  ;D

You know, it wouldn't hurt to make that clear in the FAQ steps.  

Finally you get it. Now, just because you are able to make the configuration in Expert mode, doesn't mean that your faxing issue will be necessarily resolved. Like I and others have stated, there can be a host of matters affecting the fax issue. VoIP is not as completely reliable as POTS.

I like tech redundancy...and thus, in addition to GV, I have CallCentric fax, K7 fax and my trusty old POTS line as the first choice for faxing. Everything is free except the POTS line--but I'm willing to pay for that since I need it for business. If someone pays me $300 per hour for my services, they should expect my phone and fax lines to be reliable 99.9% of the time, absent a natural or man-made disaster. If it was solely for my personal use, I'd ditch the POTS line and have most of my telephone communications free or near free.

Agent88

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 08, 2015, 03:05:54 PM
Yes, that is so aggravating, and I am very familiar with the redundant workings of the redundant department of redundancy.  I guess it is a way to emphasize to bozo users that they are about to get into territory that may screw up their device.

If it bothers you, you can enable a one-click, red "E" button (see screenshot below).

• Click "Edit profile" on the main OBiTALK portal page.
  • Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and select "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard" and submit your change.
Excellent!  Many thanks... I would have never found this on my own.  I feel like I am on an Easter Egg hunt.  What other hidden jewels are there in and around the OBiTalk portal?