News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect Obi202 from wall ethernet cable instead of router

Started by DDavis, November 09, 2015, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDavis

Right now I have my office computer connected direct to the internet with an ethernet cable (routers in computer room).  Can I connect the Obi202 direct to my office cable and then to my computer instead of connecting direct to router?  Or do I have to go the wifi adapter route
Thank you!

SteveInWA

I think I understand your question.  The one-word answer is "yes".

Let's explore further.  You aren't connected "directly to the internet", technically-speaking.  Your office has some form of internet service entering the building, and it goes into some networking equipment, depending on the sophistication of your network.  At minimum, that internet connection goes to a router and one or more Ethernet switches.  Then, all the network-connected gizmos in the office connect to Ethernet switch ports (RJ-45 jacks), or to a WiFi access point on the same router/switch.

Your computer is currently connected to the Ethernet switch.  You could leave it that way, and also plug the OBi's WAN or LAN port directly into the same Ethernet switch (using another port/jack of course), or you can plug the OBi's WAN port into the Ethernet switch, and then plug your PC into the LAN port on the OBi.  The latter option will take advantage of the OBi's built-in router and Quality of Service (QoS) function, to prioritize the OBi's voice packets vs. the computer's packets.  If you only have one Ethernet jack nearby, this solution will work.

However, the built-in router in the OBi 202 isn't designed for high throughput, and its Ethernet interfaces are limited to 100Mbps vs. 1Gbps.  If you are doing network-intensive work on your computer, you may notice the difference.

I wouldn't recommend using WiFi to connect the OBi.  Load on the WiFi access point from other users in the office may cause poor VoIP performance on the OBi.

So:  which option do you want to select?  There are some settings involved, depending on your choice.

drgeoff

There are two other options:

1. Use the OBi202 in bridge mode instead of its default router mode. That turns it into a 3 port ethernet switch.  The WAN port for the wall connection,  Th LAN port for your computer and one internal port for the OBi itself.

You can set bridge mode by dialling ***0. Then 31. The current value will be read back.  0 means router mode and 1 means bridge. Press 1 to enter a new value,  eg 1 for bridge and then #.

2.  Procure an ethernet switch and use that to "expand" the existing wall connection. A 5 port switch can often be had for $10 to $20 depending on whether you need a Gigabit/s one.  This could be a good option if you plan to connect more wired ethernet devices.

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on November 10, 2015, 05:04:35 AM
1. Use the OBi202 in bridge mode instead of its default router mode. That turns it into a 3 port ethernet switch.

A 10/100 switch.  Which (as SteveInWA mentioned) may have an impact on the PC network performance.

Note that adding your own switch (either the OBi or a "cheap" commodity one) may not be in compliance with some corporate network/security policies or practices (and there may be both administrative and technical methods to enforce those).

And note that some corporate network/security practices/policies may either restrict, or limit, the ability for VoIP solutions to work successfully.

So, in all cases, the first step is to talk with the enterprise network/security support staff to request advice.

drgeoff

As I don't have a 202, I cannot perform the following test myself.  Perhaps someone who does have one might volunteer.

When operated in bridge mode does the throughput between the LAN and WAN sockets increase compared to what is attainable in router mode?  And if yes to what rate?

DDavis

It seems that the way our office is set up,  it might be better to just buy a usb headset. 

I do have a question regarding a possible wifi setup.  Our office is 800 sf with 4 users.  I just bought a Linksys AC1200+ as our older wireless G router was disconnecting all the time.  Do you think based on the type of wireless router and size of the office that setting it up with wifi would be a viable option?

Thanks for all your help!

SteveInWA

Quote from: RFC3261 on November 10, 2015, 07:26:18 AM
1. Use the OBi202 in bridge mode instead of its default router mode. That turns it into a 3 port ethernet switch.

A 10/100 switch.  Which (as SteveInWA mentioned) may have an impact on the PC network performance.

Note that adding your own switch (either the OBi or a "cheap" commodity one) may not be in compliance with some corporate network/security policies or practices (and there may be both administrative and technical methods to enforce those).

And note that some corporate network/security practices/policies may either restrict, or limit, the ability for VoIP solutions to work successfully.

So, in all cases, the first step is to talk with the enterprise network/security support staff to request advice.

Thanks.  That is exactly why I didn't recommend those options (yet).

SteveInWA

Quote from: DDavis on November 10, 2015, 09:03:47 AM
It seems that the way our office is set up,  it might be better to just buy a usb headset. 

I do have a question regarding a possible wifi setup.  Our office is 800 sf with 4 users.  I just bought a Linksys AC1200+ as our older wireless G router was disconnecting all the time.  Do you think based on the type of wireless router and size of the office that setting it up with wifi would be a viable option?

Thanks for all your help!

There is no way to give you a definitive answer, despite your helpful description of office size and users.  It would depend on what the other WiFi users are doing at any given moment.  Real-world testing would give you the answer after a couple days of experience.  The OBiWiFi dongle is cheap enough that you might as well give it a try.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 10, 2015, 10:15:31 AM
Quote from: RFC3261 on November 10, 2015, 07:26:18 AM

Thanks.  That is exactly why I didn't recommend those options (yet).
I agree with the points made by RFC3261 but don't they also apply to SteveInWA's suggestion to use the OBi202 in router mode?