News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiTalk with Cisco IP Phone

Started by Logan, February 02, 2017, 04:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but not new to ObiTalk. I've been using ObiTalk with GV at my house successfully for over 2 years now without any issues and absolutely love it.

I'm posting today because I'd like to switch my work phone over to the ObiTalk + GV system. I currently have a Cisco IP Phone 7960 with a Jabra Headset and a Jabra Headset lifter. While I am very attached to the phone, I'm willing to part ways with it if I can convert to the ObiTalk + GV setup. That being said, I'd rather bring the Cisco IP Phone 7960 with me, but I realize this may not be an option. If it is an option, is there anywhere I can find instructions because it's my understanding that the ObiTalk products only work with analog phones?

If bringing the Cisco IP Phone 7960 over isn't an option, is there an option that allows me to bring my Jabra Headset and Headset lifter over to the Obi1062 IP Phone or any other phone? I'm really attached to my Jabra headset and lifter and wouldn't make the switch if there wasn't a configuration that allowed me to bring that over with me when I make the switch.

Any and all help on this subject is much appreciated. Thank you for taking your time to help.

SteveInWA

Hi Logan, and welcome to the forum!

Just a correction on terminology:  Obihai is the company name, "OBi ___" are the product names, and "OBiTALK" is used in three places:  a)the name of their online device configuration portal, b) the name of this forum, and c) the communications protocol that can be used to make free phone calls between OBi devices.

You have at least two options.  

• You can keep the old Cisco IP phone, assuming it currently has SIP firmware, and not SCCP (Cisco CallManager) firmware.  If it's a SCCP phone, you'd need to go through some non-trivial steps to convert it, given that it's a discontinued/end-of-life product with no support.  If it's a SIP phone, then it can't connect directly to Google Voice/Chat, but you could connect it to a Google Voice account via Bill Simon's "Simonics GVGW" gateway.

• If your workplace is using SIP and/or you have no need to use Cisco CallManager, then you could buy a Obihai OBi 1032 or 1062 IP phone.  Both phones have native support for Google Voice/Chat and SIP.  Both phones have a RJ-9 headset jack and Electronic Switch Hook (EHS) via (rather expensive) dongle cables, or you can continue to use your electro-mechanical handset lifter.  To be clear, the OBi 10x2 products are IP phones, which connect to either Ethernet or WiFi.  They don't need an Analog Telephone Adapter (e.g. OBi 200/202).

azrobert

You can register an SIP device to an OBi2xx. The link below is an example for a softphone, but it should work the same for your CISCO phone. If your phone can call without registration, it will also work on an OBi1xx. An OBi1xx doesn't have the X_Proxy parm and you can't route inbound calls to "local_client". You need to route inbound calls to the IP address and port number of your phone.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11592.msg76226#msg76226

Logan

Definitely appreciate the responses. Thank you both for the information.

It all seems so simple, but once I started diving into the most basic thing, like trying to determine what type of firmware my phone has, a simple task becomes difficult to perform. I don't know any tech guys that I could hire to do this for me, but I'd be happy to pay somebody to assist me with this process over the phone. Do either of you offer those services? I'd be happy to pay you through Paypal.

SteveInWA

I don't see any advantage to registering the Cisco phone to a OBi ATA, that would offset the added complexity to set it up.

From what you already posted, it sounds like all you need is a IP desk phone that can connect to Google Voice, right?  That can be accomplished easily, with the appropriate credit card  ::)

If you're uncomfortable with the tech, then the easiest and most straightforward solution would be to buy an OBi IP phone.  I can help you get it working with your headset.  I've got a 1032 with a Jabra headset working fine.

Logan

Ok, great to hear. I just purchased an OBi phone. I should be fine configuring the device to work with my phone number and firewall. The only issue I feel like I'll run into is getting it to work with my Jabra headset, so I'll reach out to you after I get the basics setup. Thanks for the info and look forward to working with you.

Logan

So I purchased the OBi1062 and I have it setup and functioning with my phone numbers. I went to plug the headset lifter into the phone to see if it'd work with it and the auxiliary plug on the Jabra headset lifter does not fit into the auxiliary port on the back of the OBi1062. The Jabra handset lifter appears to be on an RJ45 plug, while the Obi1062 appears to have an RJ11 port. What do I do now? Thanks.

SteveInWA

You need to spend more money.

You need one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BG58TUK

Or, you can connect it the "old school" way, which uses the ring-detector mic built into the Jabra electromechanical handset lifter.  You then unplug the OBi phone's handset cord from the RJ-9 jack in the base of the phone, plug the headset's RJ-9 jumper cable into the phone, in place of its handset cord, and then plug the handset cord into the headset base.

Logan

So I purchased the OBiEHS and it appears that I'll need another cable from Jabra to fully set it up according to this old thread: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12364.0

EDIT: I was able to get the headset temporarily working through connecting it directly to the OBi1062. Then, I went ahead and ordered this cable in hopes it was the last remaining piece of my puzzle: https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-14201-10-LINK-Adapter-Aastra/dp/B007KMEWWI

SteveInWA

Quote from: Logan on April 13, 2017, 12:17:37 PM
So I purchased the OBiEHS and it appears that I'll need another cable from Jabra to fully set it up according to this old thread: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12364.0

EDIT: I was able to get the headset temporarily working through connecting it directly to the OBi1062. Then, I went ahead and ordered this cable in hopes it was the last remaining piece of my puzzle: https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-14201-10-LINK-Adapter-Aastra/dp/B007KMEWWI

Yep, that's the correct Jabra-Link cable.  Using that cable, plus the OBi cable, you will not need the electro-mechanical handset lifter.  When you click the headset's answer button or remove the headset from its charger base, it will answer the call.

You'll connect the OBi EHS cable to the two jacks on the phone, then plug the other end into the plastic female-female connector, then plug the Jabra Link cable into that connector, and, finally, plug the Jabra Link cable into the headset's base.  The RJ-45 plug goes into the port on the headset base where you had the RHL (handset lifter) connected.

See the attached image for the settings you need to change on the OBiTALK web portal for the phone.

Logan

So I received the Jabra connector and I plugged everything in correctly and the headset works, but the button for answering/hanging up just clicks on the Jabra headset base, but doesn't actually function through the EBi1062. I also went to the preferences on the phone and selected Jabra under the EHS option. Any other ideas how to get the button on the headset to work for answering/hanging up phone calls?

Also, per the image you posted, I didn't perform that settings change because the input and output for the headset is already perfect. I'm assuming that is to only change the input/output ear/voice levels???

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, one thing worth mentioning is that without the Jabra connector, I was able to get this exact same functionality out of the phone/headset. Not sure if this info helps or not.

As far as the connection goes:

OBi1062 to:
1. OBi1062 headset to the OBiEHS RJ9
2. OBi1062 AUX to the OBiEHS RJ11

OBiEHS to the female-to-female RJ45 adapter/coupling

Female-to-Female RJ45 to the RJ45 Jabra Link (14201-10)

Jabra Link (14201-10) to:
1. Jabra headset RJ9 headset jack
2. Jabra headset RJ45 AUX jack

EDIT #2:
Did a wire diagram to make it easier to read and also, if wired correctly, allow future users to get a better visualization. See attached image.

SteveInWA

Grrrreat job documenting the setup!  What software did you use to make that diagram?

You're almost there.  Which model of Jabra headset is it?  If it is one of the 9700 series, you need to use the touchscreen on the base to run through the Jabra setup, and tell the headset that you are using a DHSG connection instead of the Remote Handset Lifter.  On the 9700, there is a guided setup mode, and a manual mode.  For some reason, the guided mode doesn't "hear" the remote signals when it calls the Jabra server, so use the manual mode, and set headset to these values:

First, use the OBi settings from my screenshot above, to calibrate the audio on the phone side, and then go through the manual setup mode on the Jabra headset's base station touch screen:

• Touch the wrench to get into Settings.
  • Select Phone Settings (it isn't intuitive; don't select headset settings).
  • Select Desk Phone and touch "Confirm".
  • Scroll down and select Manual, not Guided setup.
  • Scroll way down and select DHSG to use the EHS cable.
  • Select "A" on the Clear dial tone screen.
  • Select "8" for the Microphone level.
  • Touch the > and then the X to finish and the base will reboot.
  • Done!

If it is an older model, you may need to change some switches on the base.

Logan

I used Adobe Photoshop to make the image. That being said, the image was rather basic and should be able to be composed with just about any graphics program. Something like Microsoft's Paint product should work just fine for purposes like that.

It's a Jabra GN9120/GN9125

SteveInWA

Quote from: Logan on April 20, 2017, 11:02:09 AM
I used Adobe Photoshop to make the image. That being said, the image was rather basic and should be able to be composed with just about any graphics program. Something like Microsoft's Paint product should work just fine for purposes like that.

It's a Jabra GN9120/GN9125

You need to re-program the headset's base to use EHS via DHSG.

Instruction manual:  http://www.jabra.com/supportpages/jabra-gn9125#/#9129-808-215

Relevant screenshot attached below.

Logan

VICTORY \o/

Thank you thank you thank you so much for all of your help on this setup. This 1062 with my headset is such a beautiful setup. Wish I had switched years ago.

SteveInWA

Great news!

Yeah, I've been using GN Netcom/Jabra headsets since the mid-1990s, starting with corded, and then one like yours, then the next model, and now the 9470 with EHS on a 1032.  It really is the best way to use a business-class phone.  My favorite thing is to wander around the house while on the phone, vs. sitting on my butt.  I don't know about the older model you have, but the 9400 series has such long range, I can go outside, walk past my next-door neighbor's house, and still be on a conversation.

I'm glad we got it documented here, in one place.  Thanks for the diagram.