News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 and Google Voice Not Ringing In Home Number?

Started by tpir72, November 15, 2015, 05:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpir72

Hi,
  I have an OBI202 with Google Voice. Within the past two weeks the home phone no longer rings on incoming calls. I tried deleting the GV account in SP1 and starting over but that didn't change anything.

Can you please recommend other things to try. Zero calls ring incoming but I have a dial tone and can dial out.

Help Please!!!

Regards,

Terry

SteveInWA

Most likely, there is a problem with your inbound Google Voice phone number.

Log onto your Google Voice (not OBi) account from a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, not from a mobile device, and look here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Do you see the exact two words "Your number" on the left side of the web page, and underneath it, is the phone number people are calling, but won't ring?  If you see "Access number", or "Get a Voice number", then you are either logged into the wrong Google account, or your number was reclaimed (taken back by Google).

Look on the main, right side of the web page.  Do you have a check mark to the left of the "Google Chat" forwarding destination?

Do you have any forwarding phone numbers verified on the account?  If not, add one, call your GV number, and verify if the forwarding phone rings.

tpir72

Thanks SteveinWA,
   Yes the home number is correct under the "Your Number" area. Yes there is a check mark on Google Chat.
I enabled the cell associated with the account and called my home number. The cell phone rang but the home number didn't.

Very odd. Any other thoughts or suggestions to try?

Regards,

Terry

SteveInWA

I'm going to assume it isn't something stoopid, like having the ringer turned off (or broken) on your telephone?  Have you tried plugging in some other telephone into the OBi?

Another possibility is that you configured the OBi with a different Google account (not the one that holds the inbound GV number).  This is easy to do by mistake, because Google allows multiple accounts to be logged in at the same time.

Go to the Google Voice settings page again.  Single-left-click your avatar in the upper right corner of the page (either a generic blue head and shoulders, or a photo you may have uploaded).  Look carefully at the Gmail address it displays.

Log onto the OBiTALK portal.  Click your OBi device name on the list of devices, then click the service provider that you configured to use Google Voice (e.g. SP1).  Click "accept".  Now, look at the "Active Google Username".   Make sure it is exactly the same as shown on your GV web page.

If not, delete the SP configuration entirely (click the trash can icon), and then follow my instructions to add GV back again; make sure you are adding the correct Google account.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

tpir72

Yes, different phone doesn't ring.

Correct GV account configured and confirmed in GV and OBI.

Darn strange....

SteveInWA

When you call someone, using your OBi-attached telephone, does your Google Voice number's caller ID appear on the called party's phone display?

Since you have a 202, what other service providers have you configured?  What custom changes have you made to the device (modified digit maps, etc)?

Log onto your OBiTALK portal page, click on the 202 and scroll down to the bottom of the page.  Confirm that you have the inbound and outbound call settings correct, such that the appropriate telephone port on the OBi (Phone 1 or Phone 2) is set to ring on inbound calls.  See attached screenshot for an example.

SteveInWA

I took a look at your posting history.

It seems that you've had a long history of experimenting with different services and different tweaks to your device configuration.  I would bet that you've made an error somewhere, or otherwise created unnecessary complexity.

The best way to resolve this would be to factory reset your device, delete it from the OBiTALK web portal, and set it up again from scratch, starting only with a plain vanilla Google Voice configuration, with no other changes made.

tpir72

When I dial out to my cell phone it displays as an incoming call from my home name and number (it is configured that way in my address book).

I have Aveno 911 configured in SP4.

OBI seems to be configured the correct way too.

Phone Port Configuration Summary

Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:  SP1  SP2:Not Configured
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:  SP1,SP4  
Voicemail Notification Alert from:    
Emergency Service Call Routes to:  SP4  SP4

tpir72

I'm also using this as my router. What are the default user name/password for an OBI202?

Since I won't have an internet connection until I set this up again, any advice to get the router portion back up right away?

tpir72

Before dumping it back to default I took a quick look at Obi Expert Config.

There are choices for Device Default or ObiTalk Settings. The router portion has the initial assignments in the fields but neither box is checked. Should it be?

In other words, should each selection throughout Obi Expert have one or the other selected?

SteveInWA

Quote from: tpir72 on November 15, 2015, 07:30:55 PM
I'm also using this as my router. What are the default user name/password for an OBI202?

Since I won't have an internet connection until I set this up again, any advice to get the router portion back up right away?

admin and admin

SteveInWA

Quote from: tpir72 on November 15, 2015, 07:47:49 PM
Before dumping it back to default I took a quick look at Obi Expert Config.

There are choices for Device Default or ObiTalk Settings. The router portion has the initial assignments in the fields but neither box is checked. Should it be?

In other words, should each selection throughout Obi Expert have one or the other selected?

After you perform the factory reset and re-add the device to the portal, those check marks will be sorted out correctly.  By default, the OBiTALK boxes will have check marks added, unless a change is made via Expert mode.  The "Device default" boxes will all be un-checked.  You should not have to change anything on those pages.

Do this:  while the OBi 202 is still powered on, go to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click the device name (i.e. OBi 202) in the list of devices.  Then, click the blue "Delete device" button to de-provision it from OBiTALK.  Wait a while and watch the LEDs on the 202.  They should blink as the portal remotely resets the device.  After a while, the left (power) LED should stop blinking and it will be done resetting.  Now, use a paper clip to gently depress and hold the recessed reset button on the underside of the unit, for at least 10 seconds, until the left (power) LED starts blinking, then release the paper clip.  This will (redundantly) do a full factory reset.

Now, go back to the OBiTALK portal, click the "Add device" link and follow the instructions to dial **5 xxxx to find and re-add the 202 again.  Then, open another browser tab and make sure you are logged into the correct Google account that holds your GV phone number.  Go back to OBiTALK and go through the procedure to configure Google Voice.  Don't be alarmed if the "Configuring" progress spinner just keeps spinning; this seems to be a portal bug.  Give it 5 minutes, then refresh your browser page, and should indicate that it is now connected to GV.

Before you do anything else, try making and receiving calls via GV.

tpir72

OK, what a nightmare. After the factory reset on the voice side it took about ten different attempts for GV to finally take on SP1. Still didn't work.

Went into the account associated with SP1, reverted back to the old chat (from hangouts). No change, still didn't work.

Next went into Google Voice Settings/Groups & Circles. The first and second choices (All Contacts and Anonymous Callers) were both set on Forward To (the cell phone in the account) and not Google Talk!

Changed those both to Google Talk.... Bam! Everything works perfectly now.

The highly annoying part is I never changed those settings to forward to the Cell associated to the account!

Thanks for the help, I was ready to pull out what hair I had left and make a Google Voice phone out of it! :)

Regards,

Terry

SteveInWA

Hmph.  I was going to mention that earlier, but I didn't think it would have been borked up.  It may have changed when you were experimenting with some other setting.  Unfortunately, that setting nails a lot of users, but often in the opposite way:  people don't want a particular forwarding phone to ring, but it does.  This happens when a forwarding phone is added -- GV automatically enables it on groups and circles whether you want it to, or not.  I consider this to be a bug, but Google doesn't want to fix it.

Best practice, for anyone following this saga:  whenever making any changes to forwarding phones on the Phones tab, also edit Groups and Circles, and edit "All Contacts", and set it to "Ring Default Phones", which will re-sync it to the Phones tab.

So sorry you went through all this chaos, but at least you ended up with a nice, "clean" configuration.

terriz

The instructions are so old in these forums and in the Obi tutorial itself.  Google voice is no longer configured that way, and now needs to send a text or voice text to the phone it will be using.  entering my obi number from the bottom of the device is not recognized as a valid number, of course, because it isn't.  I tried putting a 1 in front of it, still does not recognize in order to connect.

SteveInWA

Quote from: terriz on June 23, 2017, 02:47:31 PM
The instructions are so old in these forums and in the Obi tutorial itself.  Google voice is no longer configured that way, and now needs to send a text or voice text to the phone it will be using.  entering my obi number from the bottom of the device is not recognized as a valid number, of course, because it isn't.  I tried putting a 1 in front of it, still does not recognize in order to connect.

The instructions are correct.  The new, six-digit verification code via text message is used when setting up the Google Voice service from the Android mobile app.  The instructions are clearly written to use a laptop or desktop computer.  At no point in the Google Voice setup do you use the OBi number on the bottom of your device.