News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Regional settings for South Africa PSTN line on Obi110 - Please help!

Started by AndyPandy11, November 29, 2015, 11:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyPandy11

Hi,

I recently moved to South Africa from the US, and like everyone here you are basically forced to have a local land line for ADSL.

So I'd like to connect my local land line to my Obi110. However, the standard LINE settings on the Obi don't work, and I see on the forums you need to calibrate a lot of settings to make them work with the local country, changing line voltages etc. 

I have found guides for France and Australia but neither work in South Africa. Are there any gurus out there that can please help with what settings are needed?

For Obi- You should consider creating a simple 'choose country settings' that would automatically populate the correct LINE settings for any given country - shouldn't be too difficult for you and would help people outside the US a great deal in using your products.

Thanks,
Andy

drgeoff

There are very few settings that result in the LINE port being completely non-operational. Is that what you mean?

1. Do you hear dial tone (which is generated within the OBi) when you take a phone (plugged in to the 110's PHONE port) off-hook?

2. If yes to the above, after dialling # do you hear dial tone from the POTS line? If you are unsure if the tone is from the POTS line, repeat the test with the POTS line unplugged from the 110.

AndyPandy11

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

1: Yes I hear a dial tone. I am able to place and receive calls using Google Voice.
2: No, hitting # I just hear a click, and do not get a POTS dial tone. Moreover, when calling my landline the Obi/Phone does not ring.

Meanwhile, when I was configuring the obi and rebooting it, the phone gave multiple false incoming calls. The phone would ring and I would pickup just to get dial tone. I would hang up, and a minute later it would ring again.

I believe the settings need to be calibrated to South Africa, to be able to detect on the LINE what calling "voltages"/signals etc etc are so that it'll work.

Please help!

drgeoff

The OBi110 is supplied with a cord with a US type phone plug at each end. Are you using that to connect the 110 to the PSTN line? Or is there an adaptor between that cord and the PSTN line. Or are you using a cable with a US type plug at one end and a local type plug at the other?

Log in locally to the 110, click on Status, then on Phone & Line Status. What is the TipRingVoltage for the Line Port? And what does it become when you dial a #?

AndyPandy11

Hi.

I have a ADSL-splitter which has two slots - one goes to my ADSL modem. The other meant for the phone, is connected to my on my LINE port on Obi110. The cable is identical on both sides (small brick plug). It seems like a standard phone cable. If I bypass the Obi and go straight to the phone I can call in and out on my land line.

TipRingVoltage on Line port changes constantly. Refreshing the status page I've seen it from -54 V to 114V, and it has a state of 'Ringing'.

When I dial a number now it defaults to my Google Voice. How can I force it to use the line?

drgeoff

There is no point in changing the default outgoing route to LINE while it is not working.

The Line port TipRingVoltage should be constant.  For most PSTN systems it will be around 50 volts while the phone is on-hook.  And the status should not show ringing if the PSTN number is not being rung.

Log in again and look at Status, System Status, Product Information, Hardware Version. If that is 2.8 (or lower?) then your OBi110 contains a relay which connects the LINE and PHONE ports together when the 110 is unpowered.  So if it is a 2.8 version, remove the power plug and see if PSTN calls in and out work.

If the hardware version is higher than 2.8 the above will probably not work but try it anyway.

AndyPandy11

Hi,

Sorry, picking this up again after quite a while.

The Hardware version is 3.4 so this is not the problem.