News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiWiFi with a WiFi hotspot

Started by Namitha, December 01, 2015, 10:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namitha

Hi,

I would like to know if the OBiWiFi adapter works with a hotspot which requires that you open a web page to login and connect to an internet. For e.g. an optimum or comcast wifi hotspot. We could simply connect to these hotspots but in order to get connected to internet, you need to open a webpage and login to your optimum/xfinity account to connect to internet.

Is this possible with OBiWiFi adapter? If yes, then how do we set-up that?

Thanks & Regards,
Namitha

SteveInWA

No, it won't work.  The OBi device interface doesn't have the ability to display a captive portal login webpage.

ymcp

Hi
i was wondering if this set would work with optimum wifi which has an option to allow you to set up specific mac addresses to automatically connect to optimum wifi without having to log on and enter any passwords.
does the dongle have a separate mac address or would i use the obi200 mac address
thanks

drgeoff

The Wi-Fi dongle has its own MAC address.

ymcp

thanks
if that is the case i don't see why it shouldn't work
or are you required to go thru the setup which in that case i'm not sure any more

SteveInWA

Describe exactly how you intend to use Optimum WiFi?  Is this a fixed installation (at a home or office) and you won't be moving it from one hotspot to another?  Or, are you thinking you can just take it to any WiFi hotspot around town, or ???

You can tell the WiFi access point the MAC address of the OBiWiFi, but all that does is tell the access point that IT can accept connections from that address (vs. some non-customer's address).  You still need to setup the OBiWiFi adapter, via the OBi's menus, to know to connect to that access point.  Think of this scenario:  you're driving down a public highway, and you come to a junction.  There is a toll road you want to take.  You have a toll pass (transponder).  The toll system knows that it can identify and let you drive on the toll road, but you still have to steer the car onto that road (tell it where to go).

ymcp

it will be at home and not move around.
thanks

lrtuk

Quote from: ymcp on April 19, 2017, 12:25:15 PM
it will be at home and not move around.
thanks

Were you able to get the obiwifi to work with a hotspot?  I am going to try this as well. Thanks.