News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Erratic behavior when bridging

Started by johnny.medellin, June 20, 2011, 01:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny.medellin

Hello, still trying to determine if I got a defective unit.
I have a unit  overseas connected to a phone line on li1.
SP1 is a gvoice number that I call to from the U.S. Which then bridges me to li1.
I setup the connection so whenever I call SP1 from  a "friend" number I go straight to li1, but if I call SP1 from any other number I go to AA, which then asks me for a password before I can access li1.
Here's the thing, I access AA everytime I call from a "non-friend number", but if I call from a "friend" number after the unit has been iddle for a while, I hear ringing for a while and eventually it takes me to gvoice voicemail. If I hang-up and call back immediately or within a few minutes, it then takes me to li1, as it's supossed to. This happens everytime, regardless of what friend number I call from. I even called from a  non_friend number and got to AA successfully everytime, but after I made that number into a "friend" I starte :'(d having the same problem. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

RonR

What shows up in Call History after the failed calls?

johnny.medellin

The call doesn't exactly fail, obi just never picks it up. it doesn't appear in the history log, in fact, if I go to"call status" while I ring SP1, it says "0 ACTIVE CALLS".
B they way, same thing happens when someone calls my li1 (which I forward to SP1) sometimes obi picks it up ands sometimes it doesn't. When it does pick it up it transfers it to the set number, but if I don't pick up the phone within a couple of seconds, the call fails, or just sends the caller to voicemail.

RonR

The OBi doesn't 'pick up' an incoming call before bridging it.  The incoming call is left unanswered and ringing while the OBi attempts the outgoing call.  Only if the outgoing call is answered is the incoming call answered and the two bridged together.  This keeps the initial caller from being billed for a call if the number being forwarded to doesn't answer.

Both of these calls should appear in Call Status while they're occurring.  The fact that they don't would seem to indicate they're not actually arriving, or something else very strange is occurring.

A little more research on your part is in order...

johnny.medellin

I agree with your last statement, "something strange is occurring" that's actually why I believe I got a lemon! I'm not am expert but I have ben playing with asterisk for three years, so I know my way around...actually this unit is replacing a pbxiaf box that I had installed in that same network, buy a few months ago a thunderstorm brought down my server :-( anyway, I figured this would be a great replacement unit but it's brought me nothing but headaches, especially cause it's out of the country so I don't have"direct" access to it.anyway, fyi, I do have another unit here in the states, and I copied the configuration from the strange unit to my good known unit and it works perfect every time, but before I deemed it bad, I wanted to hear a few comments, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to send another unit..it takes time you know?
Anyway any more comments, regardless of how crazy they seem, please shoot them my way.
Thanks guys.
.John

RonR

Is then any chance the unit is rebooting unexpectedly?  Keep an eye on UpTime.  It should display a reboot reason code in parenthesis : 1 Days 17:48:45 (4).  If the last reboot was unexpected, there will be no reboot reason code.  Check for this after a failed call.