News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Forwarding incoming US Google Voice calls to Canadian cell phone using OBI200?

Started by Yury, December 03, 2015, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yury

I have:
- US Google Voice number
- US cell phone number
So when I travel in the US I forward incoming Google Voice calls to my US cell phone number. Life is easy.

I live in Canada (where life is not that easy) and have OBi200 at home with:
- Voip.MS on SP1
- Google Voice on SP2
This configuration works more or less OK when I am at home.

Is it possible using OBi200 to forward my incoming Google Voice calls to my Canadian dumb cell phone?
  US person calling me -> my US Google Voice number -> OBi200 -> my Canadian cell number
(Incoming Google Voice calls can't be directly forwarded to Canadian phone number)

I started reading documentation, but was not able to figure this out.

SteveInWA

No.  Google Voice is only intended for use in the lower 48 US states.  You cannot add a forwarding phone number from outside that area.

azrobert

Just re-route the call out GV to your cell phone.

Voice Services -> SP2 Service ->
X_InboundCallRoute: ph,sp2(Your_Cell#)
MaxSessions: 4

You will see the GV callerid on your cell, not the inbound callerid.

SteveInWA

That hack will forward the call, but it will cause havoc with Google Voice's voicemail logic, and so I don't recommend it.

A_Friend

Get a U.S. DID from voip.ms for $1/month.  Forward that to your Canadian cell phone, and forward GV to that when you're wanting your Canadian cellphone to get the calls.  (You'll have to pay for the calls, inbound and out, for a total of $.02/minute.)

Yury

Quote from: azrobert on December 03, 2015, 08:18:51 PM
Thank you azrobert, where should I make these changes?
Can I do this on the OBitalk portal?
So far all my settings were done on the portal and I would like to avoid local settings.

How easy is to flip these settings back and forth (forwarding my GV to home phone and cell phone)?

Yury

Quote from: A_Friend on December 04, 2015, 06:50:06 AM
Get a U.S. DID from voip.ms for $1/month.  Forward that to your Canadian cell phone, and forward GV to that when you're wanting your Canadian cellphone to get the calls.  (You'll have to pay for the calls, inbound and out, for a total of $.02/minute.)
Hmm... This is an interesting idea.
I already have too many phone numbers: US Gogle Voice, US cell, Canadian Voip.MS, Canadian Cell.
Should I get one more number?

So in this case I can have both US and Canadian Voip.MS numbers on my OBI200.
US Voip.MS number is an equivalent of US Google Voice number, so US Google Voice number can be retired.

drgeoff

A_Friend

Quote from: Yury on December 04, 2015, 07:04:04 AM
Hmm... This is an interesting idea.
I already have too many phone numbers: US Gogle Voice, US cell, Canadian Voip.MS, Canadian Cell.
Should I get one more number?

So in this case I can have both US and Canadian Voip.MS numbers on my OBI200.
US Voip.MS number is an equivalent of US Google Voice number, so US Google Voice number can be retired.

Ummm...  Except for the fact the GV number is Freeeee, that might be an idea.  I forgot to ask, do you have the 200 configured to ring when GV is called, and does that work in Canada, or do they block Canadian IP addresses?  If it's useful, keep it.  Otherwise, yeah, bin it.

(As for too many DIDs, Ha!  You're just a beginner.  Collecting them can be addictive.  I have my two original Ma Bell numbers (way back when, one was used for a modem, then a fax), two free numbers from CallCentric, two GV numbers, three vanity toll-free numbers (from various half-started projects, but at $1/month each, meh), and a couple of pay-as-you-go cellphones.  Oh, and a few iNums, useful for free forwarding to ring groups, etc.  Altogether, my monthly phone expenses total around $35.)

azrobert

Quote from: Yury on December 04, 2015, 06:52:22 AM
How easy is to flip these settings back and forth (forwarding my GV to home phone and cell phone)?

My suggestion will simultaneously ring both your home and cell phones. If you want to change this, you need to use OBi Expert again.

Yury

Quote from: azrobert on December 03, 2015, 08:18:51 PM

You will see the GV callerid on your cell, not the inbound callerid.
Thank you azrobert,

Using OBitalk.com portal expert mode (OBitalk.com >> Expert Mode >>  Voice Services >> SP2 Service) I have set up the following rules:
    X_InboundCallRoute: ph,sp1(ten digits Canadian cell phone number)

In case of inbound call to my Google Voice number (SP2), the following devices ring simultaneously:
- my home phone that is plugged into OBi200
- my Canadian cell phone (a call through SP1/Voip.MS)

Yury

Quote from: A_Friend on December 04, 2015, 07:42:06 AM
I forgot to ask, do you have the 200 configured to ring when GV is called, and does that work in Canada, or do they block Canadian IP addresses?
Current setup of my OBi200 that is physically located in Canada:
- SP1 - Voip.MS with Canadian phone number (default service for outgoing calls)
- SP2 - Google Voice with US phone number
- Phone port - Base station of the Panasonic cordless phone

Yes, my phone rings OK in case of inbound Google Voice calls.
It looks like Canadian IP addresses are not blocked.