News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

voice quality control for OBI202

Started by alanintuition, December 12, 2015, 06:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanintuition

I would like to know if there is any configuration where I can prioritize the speed for phone service. My problem is the internet connect directly to the obi device and I then extend the network to a router. My Internet speed is only 1 MB, so everytime when im on a call and someone is browsing my voice gets cranky. Is there any setting where I could have to set the priority for voice when both voice and web are going on the same time? thanks

Sheffield_Steve

The short answer is Yes!

It's called VoIP QoS and you have to set it on your router(s).  Do a search for that and your router name.  There will be information available.

It gets a complicated quickly though if you are not into networking.

p.s. You need the OBI202 to be connected to the router too.  (It shouldn't be connected directly to the internet anyway, as it's a security risk)

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on December 12, 2015, 07:06:21 AM
The short answer is Yes!

It's called VoIP QoS and you have to set it on your router(s).  Do a search for that and your router name.  There will be information available.

It gets a complicated quickly though if you are not into networking.

p.s. You need the OBI202 to be connected to the router too.  (It shouldn't be connected directly to the internet anyway, as it's a security risk)
Close but no cigar.

alanintuition is using his OBi202 as a first router connected by its WAN socket to his internet feed.  All his other equipment is fed from the 202's LAN port.

The 202 already incorporates QoS.  See http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543072 for where to enable it and the settings available.

Sheffield_Steve

Oops!  You are right. I was thinking he has a OBI200

p.s. I still would not use the OBI as my main firewall/router.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on December 12, 2015, 12:07:56 PM
Oops!  You are right. I was thinking he has a OBI200

p.s. I still would not use the OBI as my main firewall/router.
He isn't. He has another router behind the OBi. Only the OBi is exposed to the internet.

alanintuition

thanks so much for the reply, I was confused when Im in the setting of QOS. What exact I need to do for my particular purpose?