News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 with RingTo and Google Voice - How to set GV Voicemail Indicator?

Started by BGood, December 13, 2015, 08:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGood

When I initially configured RingTo and Google Voice on a new Obi202, I primarily relied on the RingTo and Obitalk portal wizards.  After initial setup, RingTo was provisioned on SP1, Anveo911 on SP2, and Google Voice on SP3.  While the Obi and phone lines seemed to work OK, I noticed that the Obi's SP3 configuration for Google Voice had the 'Voicemail Indicator' port set to SP1 (RingTo). 

By editing the RingTo configuration (SP1) I disabled its Phone2 voicemail indicator, but I do not see where this parameter can be set by the Google Voice configuration popup.  (see image below)

How can I set the Voicemail Indicator for 'Phone2' to reflect Google Voice from SP3?  Thanks

drgeoff

You'll need to use Expert Mode on the portal.  If you don't see where to enter Expert mode on the portal click on 'Edit Profile' then scroll to Advanced Options at the bottom.

Go into Voice Services, SP3 and Under Calling Features you'll see MWIEnable, X_VMWIEnable, MWIEnable2 and X_VMWIEnable2.  Those control the tone and visual indicators sounding/appearing on PHONE1 and PHONE2 when SP3 has a message.

I don't have a 202 so the screenshot is from the UI demo at http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obi202/i but what you see on the portal in Expert mode will be similar.

Ensure both the Device Default and Obitalk Settings boxes at far right are unticked then tick the enable boxes for whichever one(s) of the enables you want.  Then click Submit at the bottom of the page.

BGood

Thanks for the guidance, drgeoff.  However, after following the instructions you provided I get a red exclamation point following the changed MWI parameters (see below) and the 'Voicemail Indicator' for Phone2 port is still blank.  Do the (!) and (*) annotations suggest that these parameters conflict with the standard template?

drgeoff

Go to https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=458.0 for an explanation of the Expert mode.

If you don't have the time or energy to read it all do a search (usually CTRL-F) for 'there may be a red exclamation mark'.  And note the second half of the third paragraph of that first post:
When one uses the OBi Expert pages, they need to know that synchronization with settings and service indications as shown on the higher-level OBiTALK portal may display inaccurate configuration information.  The settings as shown in the OBi Expert pages trump all settings in the OBiTALK portal pages.

The acid test is are you getting the indications when there is voicemail?

BGood

Thanks for the expert mode reference, drgeoff.  The following quotation appeared pertinent to both the (!) and (*) annotations:

QuoteTo the right of the configurable parameter value field, there may be a red exclamation mark (!).  When this mark is present, it means the parameter value next to where it appears has an OBi Expert configuration database entry that is different than the OBiTALK database entry.  If the Device Default and OBiTALK boxes are left unchecked, then the OBi will use this setting in its active configuration.  

On the right side of the OBiTALK Settings check box there may be an asterisk (*) indicating this parameter is currently being used in the OBiTALK portal for feature configuration.  Therefore, if the symbol resides next to a parameter setting that you choose to over-ride with an OBi Expert Configuration setting, the functionality configured by the OBiTALK portal is subject to conflicted operation.  It is important to note that the presence of the * may appear suddenly, when functionality is added to the OBiTALK portal that requires management of the parameter next to which the * appears.  We suggest that users uncheck the OBiTALK box for those parameters NOT marked with the *, when the particular parameter value is different for a configuration outside the realm of what is available in OBiTALK. Unchecking the OBiTALK box will ensure the custom value will not be overwritten by a future OBiTALK enhancement or modification.

Remember: If you want to configure a value for a parameter as your OBi Expert configuration setting, you must have both the "OBiTALK Settings" and "Device Default" check boxes UNCHECKED.  Only then, can you enter a new value to be submitted as an OBi Expert Configuration setting.

To answer your question about whether message indication is working, this post and my tweaking of the the default setup is prompted by the fact that I am not getting a stutter dial-tone or other message indication from any of the various analog 2-line phones that are attached to the Obi.  However, this may be due to the capabilities of the phones.

As a noob to VOIP, Obi, RingTo, and Google Voice, I am not sure exactly what to expect, and am a little overwhelmed by all of the capabilities.  Despite this, both lines are basically working. I appreciate all the help that has been provided through the Obitalk and RingTo forums.  

Thanks.

drgeoff

All the dial tones you hear when using a 202 are generated within the 202.  There is no way that an ordinary phone can be responsible for you hearing normal dial tone when you should be hearing a stuttered one.

drgeoff

Ah!  I just realised that your SP3 is GV.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5084.msg56625#msg56625 says that the message waiting indicator no longer works with GV.

BGood

Thanks for catching this, drgeoff. No sense trying to make MWI work if it is deprecated by the provider.

While it would be nice to have all the advanced features implemented in the cloud, my goal in configuring the Obi with both Google Voice and RingTo is to achieve a "nearly free" land line at the house, and test out and compare the two VOIP services.

It may be that the optimal configuration in our family's case is to disable all electronic voicemail functionality in the Obi, RingTo, and Google Voice, and simply have a 2-line analog base station with answering machine functionality on the kitchen counter, like we had back in the 1990s.  With toll-free accessibility, we can always dial-in to check messages.

SteveInWA

Quote from: BGood on December 13, 2015, 01:18:07 PM
Thanks for catching this, drgeoff. No sense trying to make MWI work if it is deprecated by the provider.

While it would be nice to have all the advanced features implemented in the cloud, my goal in configuring the Obi with both Google Voice and RingTo is to achieve a "nearly free" land line at the house, and test out and compare the two VOIP services.

It may be that the optimal configuration in our family's case is to disable all electronic voicemail functionality in the Obi, RingTo, and Google Voice, and simply have a 2-line analog base station with answering machine functionality on the kitchen counter, like we had back in the 1990s.  With toll-free accessibility, we can always dial-in to check messages.

Google Voice is not simply a free phone company.  It's an inbound call forwarding and message management system.  You don't want to use it as designed.  Your needs would be better met by paying for a SIP VoIP provider's service that will allow you to configure it to work just like your old POTS service.

BGood

QuoteGoogle Voice is not simply a free phone company.  It's an inbound call forwarding and message management system.  You don't want to use it as designed.  Your needs would be better met by paying for a SIP VoIP provider's service that will allow you to configure it to work just like your old POTS service.

Yes, this does appear to be the case.  Both GV/Obitalk and RingTo/Obitalk configurations are free arrangements offered with the Obihai and I am learning that all the amenities, bells, and whistles which were bundled in my Comcast and Sprint voice packages cannot be expected for free or forever.  However, having recently retired, I really appreciate my Sprint bill declining from $178/mo to $30/month on Ting, and my Comcast bill declining by about $40/month by dropping the bundled VOIP. 

On the other hand, I really miss having accurate Caller ID / CNAM and would be willing to pay for this service.  As I am relatively new to the VOIP bandwagon, I appreciate any suggestions you can offer. 

Thanks.

SteveInWA

I just helped my retired buddy flee Comcast and set up an OBi.  His wife is British, and she calls her Mum in the UK every weekend for an hour, so this is saving them big bucks over the outrageous fees from Comcast.  They don't mind the extra steps needed to use GV voicemail (have GV send a VM notification text message to your mobile phone, or send an email to you with the VM).

If that's a bother for you, and you want inbound Caller ID name, then the simplest thing to do is to shop and compare the features and prices between some independent VoIP Internet Telephone Service Providers (ITSPs), pick the one you like, and then use the OBiTALK portal to set it up.  It's easy.

There are lots of ITSPs from which to choose, ranging from dirt cheap with crappy customer support and sporadic outages, to quite costly, with lots of hand-holding customer care.  Most of us here on the forum are happy with, in alphabetic order, Callcentric, PhonePower, or voip.ms.  These three are at the "sweet spot" of value and quality.

Looking at their pricing, keep in mind that some ITSPs price inbound calling and outbound calling separately (a la carte), for maximum flexibility.  Look at your historical calling patterns (number of outbound or inbound calling minute usage per month), then pick the plans that meet your needs.  You can always change plans later if needed.  These ITSPs support inbound caller ID name, E-911 service, and you can either use their voicemail system or not, as you wish.

BGood

Excellent suggestions.  Thanks, SteveInWA.

I am going through my inventory of legacy telephony devices from the basement to populate the in-house phones.  These include 2.6ghz cordless systems from Cygnion and Panasonic and various hardwired phones as well. Right now my house looks like a phone museum, or the telephony equivalent of a used car lot. 

I may just toss out all the old hardware and buy some newer 5.8ghz cordless phones to minimize the number of hardwired phones to ease the load on the Obi.

SteveInWA

Quote from: BGood on December 14, 2015, 07:00:16 AM
Excellent suggestions.  Thanks, SteveInWA.

I am going through my inventory of legacy telephony devices from the basement to populate the in-house phones.  These include 2.6ghz cordless systems from Cygnion and Panasonic and various hardwired phones as well. Right now my house looks like a phone museum, or the telephony equivalent of a used car lot. 

I may just toss out all the old hardware and buy some newer 5.8ghz cordless phones to minimize the number of hardwired phones to ease the load on the Obi.

You know, there's treatment available for compulsive hoarder syndrome  :P :P :P

2.4GHz phones have been obsolete for a good 15 years, and 5.8GHz for probably 10 years.

Seriously, take out the ancient NiCD toxic waste battery packs and recycle them, throw the rest of the stuff in the trash, and treat yourself to a nice new DECT 6.0 (1.9GHz) cordless phone system from Panasonic.  They're much more secure, use a radio band exclusively reserved for cordless telephony, have long range, use easily-replaceable AAA NiMH batteries, and are available with as many handsets as you need.  Save a few bucks and buy a model without a built-in answering machine.

For example:  http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/cordless-corded-telephones/cordless-telephones?srule=featured

BGood

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 14, 2015, 07:28:37 AM
You know, there's treatment available for compulsive hoarder syndrome. 2.4GHz phones have been obsolete for a good 15 years, and 5.8GHz for probably 10 years.

I resemble that remark!  :)
No I did not know, and thanks for the heads-up.  :)
I do like recycling, but hate throwing out things that work (like my Commodore 64 and Kaypro 10).