News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI/Google Voice new problem calling from USA to Poland

Started by nopcbs, December 14, 2015, 08:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopcbs

My wife has been using a telephone + Obi100 + Google Voice to call her mom's land line in Poland for years. There are occasional drop-outs, but mostly it works great. Recently, though, when she calls she gets a "We could not complete your call...please try again." message. Our system works fine for domestic calls, both send and receive.

I tried dialing my wife's mom's number in Poland using two PC's using Google Voice/Hangouts directly and no problem connecting. So, it is definitely an Obi100-related problem. I rebooted the Obi100 to no benefit.

Not sure how to proceed as Obi seems to offer zero tech. support.

Anyone have a suggestion?

- George

azrobert

Check the OBi100 call history to make sure the number is being sent to GV correctly.

To access Call History:
Log directly into the OBi100 using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi100 into a Web Browser.
Hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
Click Status on the left column then click Call History.

The number under Phone1 is how you dialed the number.
The number under GoogleVoice1  is how it was sent to GV.

nopcbs

I checked and the "Phone 1" and "GoogleVoice 1" phone numbers are identical and correct. Further, in all cases the GoogleVoice 1 column log shows "Call connected". Presumable that means it connected to that automated "We could not complete your call, please try again." message that we keep getting.

My wife used GV directly on her laptop today to reach her mom, but she got disconnected after about five minutes twice. An attempt to use the Obi100 and GV/telephone failed as I described earlier.

Very discouraging as I don't know what can be wrong. I will try rebooting our router and cable modem.

SteveInWA

If your domestic calls work properly, then the failed calls to Poland are not being caused by your OBi or home network hardware.

Post your problem in the Google Voice Help Forum, instead.  See the link below my signature.

nopcbs

I gave up on using Google Voice to call Poland and I started up a Callcentric contract and configured it on SP2 of my Obi100. SP1 remains as Google Voice and both are listed as "enabled" when I login via the Obi100's IP address.

Now the trick is how do I choose SP2 instead of the default SP1 for my wife to place her calls to her mom. I looked around in the Obi forums and found instructions to just enter **2 before entering the number being called.

This is supposed to tell the Obi100 device to use SP2 (Callcentric). It does not. It just passes the entire string, including the **2 to Callcentric and, of course, that is not a legitimate phone number. So, how do I select SP2?

Another thing: SP1 (Google Voice) is listed as "connected" on the Service Status page.
SP2 (Callcentric) is listed as:

Status   Registered (server=204.11.192.171:5080; expire in 61s)
PrimaryProxyServer   204.11.192.171:5080
SecondaryProxyServer   Secondary Registration Not Enabled

The difference makes me thing something is not right with the Callcentric setup. It should say "connected", no?

Appreciate any advice.

- george

drgeoff

"Registered" is correct for any SIP service on an OBi. "Connected" is only applicable to GoogleVoice.

The **2 does send the number (without the **2) to SP2 on an OBi device that has relevant parameters still at their default values.  If it is not doing that for you then you have wittingly or unwittingly changed some things.

If you have not already done so you should confirm what is being sent to Callcentric when you dial the **2 plus Poland number.  Point a browser at your OBi's IP address on your LAN and login.  The default username and password are both 'admin' (without the quotes). Click on Status and then Call History.  The right hand column will show the numbers sent to the SP.

Then click on Physical Interfaces, then Phone Port.  Use your mouse to highlight all the content of the DigitMap field.  The box displays only part of the string so you need to scroll until no more characters appear.  Copy the string and post it in a reply here.  Do likewise for the OutboundCallRoute.

nopcbs

First, thanks for helping! REALLY appreciate it. My wife is getting just a bit PO'd about not being able to talk with mom as she had been.

I did as you instructed and this is a typical entry for using SP2 (Callcentric) to try to call her mom in Poland:

*********************************************************************************

Call 2 12/19/2015    12:46:48

Terminal ID          PHONE1                     SP2
Peer Name   
Peer Number        **2011481864292      011481864292
Direction              Outbound                   Outbound
12:46:48              New Call 
12:46:49                                               End Call (404 Not Found)

*********************************************************************************

That "404 Not Found" is what the automated message we get when the call fails says.

It looks like the **2 is being correctly stripped off of the character string so that only the routing information/telephone number goes to Callcentric. Not sure what that 404 Not Found message means, but have seen it in the world of PC's it means server not found. Presumably I cannot reach the Callcentric server, but it is registered and shows up in the ITSP Profile B SIP page (sorry cannot copy/paste entries).

Just for grins, here is the equivalent record for a failed GV call to the same number:

Call 1 12/19/2015    12:48:10

Terminal ID       PHONE1                      GoogleVoice1
Peer Name   
Peer Number     01148182664292         01148182664292
Direction           Outbound                    Outbound
12:48:10          New Call 
12:48:11                                             Call Connected
12:48:15                                             End Call

- George

nopcbs

Quote from: drgeoff on December 19, 2015, 11:05:19 AM
"Registered" is correct for any SIP service on an OBi. "Connected" is only applicable to GoogleVoice.

The **2 does send the number (without the **2) to SP2 on an OBi device that has relevant parameters still at their default values.  If it is not doing that for you then you have wittingly or unwittingly changed some things.

If you have not already done so you should confirm what is being sent to Callcentric when you dial the **2 plus Poland number.  Point a browser at your OBi's IP address on your LAN and login.  The default username and password are both 'admin' (without the quotes). Click on Status and then Call History.  The right hand column will show the numbers sent to the SP.

Then click on Physical Interfaces, then Phone Port.  Use your mouse to highlight all the content of the DigitMap field.  The box displays only part of the string so you need to scroll until no more characters appear.  Copy the string and post it in a reply here.  Do likewise for the OutboundCallRoute.

***************************************************************************************

Here is the information you requested:

Digimap (Default box IS checked for this entry):

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Outbound Call Route (Default box NOT checked for this entry):

{911:sp2},{933:sp2},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

-George

azrobert

Use the following Phone Outbound Route:
{911:sp2},{933:sp2},{(011xx.):sp2},{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Now you don't have to dial **2 prefix.

Polish phone numbers are 9 digits, not counting country code.
GV was dialed correctly.
Callcentric is missing 2 digits.

nopcbs

You are right!

When we first set up our Callcentric we found that it worked for local calls, but not for Poland. Contacted their tech support and they told us that we had overseas outgoing calls blocked. I guess it just came up that way as I certainly did not intentionally configure it that way. After I fixed that configuration error we tried calling Poland again and, as you noticed...and I did not, we missed a couple of digits and got that 404 error.

After reading your message, I, with no configuration changes made, dialed the **2 + country code + phone number, but with no skipped digits...and the call went through!

Problem solved.

Thanks much for your help!

One last, unrelated question. We have a second OBI100 that is our primary phone line. That one has nothing configured as SP1 and Google Voice as SP2. All calls go out on SP2 because there is no SP1 configured. I would like to add a 911 carrier to that phone, like we are using Callcentric on the other OBI100 we own, but I want it to be as SP2 and move the Google Voice to SP1 (from its current SP2 state).

Is there an easy way to do that (i.e., move the SP2 supplier to SP1)? I guess I can copy all the configuration entries from SP2 to SP1 and then delete SP2, but that seems "clunky". 

Again, thank you very much for the help you have already given and sorry that I did not notice the missing phone number characters. Long strings like that invite such a thing, unfortunately.

- George

azrobert

There is no easy way. You would have to delete SP2 and re-define it on SP1, however there is no need to do this. Calls are routed to SP2 because SP2 is set as the Primary route, not by having SP1 undefined. If you define GV on SP1, you would also need to change the Primary Route to SP1. The easiest way is leaving everything unchanged and define the 911 provider on SP1.