News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Network/Obi202 IP address change - Status offline - How to restore config?

Started by BGood, December 14, 2015, 05:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BGood

I just did a major network reconfiguration and powered down everything. Included installation of new router and cable modem.  Internet connectivity has been restored, but Obi202 IP address has changed and cannot connect.  Dashboard status shows device offline with no SP configuration.

Is there a reconfiguration procedure which will allow the Obi to reconnect and download its prior configuration, but with its new IP address?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Look at the back of the OBi.  Did you plug the Ethernet cable into the WAN socket, or the LAN socket?

BGood

QuoteLook at the back of the OBi.  Did you plug the Ethernet cable into the WAN socket, or the LAN socket?

No, like reaching to catch a hot soldering iron falling off the bench, that is the kind of mistake you learn quickly from and don't make again. Yes, I did the cable in the wrong hole trick yesterday, but now the cable is on the WAN port.  I checked just to make sure.

Could it have something to do with the new DHCP address?  Or the new router being more stingy with allowing traffic to oddball ports through the firewall?

SteveInWA

Given that you "just did a major network reconfiguration", it could be anything...bad Ethernet cable, something you misconfigured in your router, etc.  Who knows.  Do some basic network troubleshooting first.

What do you mean, exactly, by "cannot connect"?  Does the OBi get an IP address from your home network's router?

IF you haven't changed any settings from default, then an OBi should simply connect to your local network and obtain an IP address via DHCP, just like any other device you attach to your router.  It would have nothing to do with the firewall, since it isn't traversing the WAN at that point.

Pick up the telephone attached to the OBi.  Press ***1.  It should read out the IP address it obtained.  Does that work?

BGood

I also added the Obi202's IP address to the DMZ so it could communicate without restriction through the router:

QuoteFrequently Asked Questions

Troubleshooting

What ports should I keep open on my router/firewall?
In order for your OBi to be able to send packets w/o interruption, please configure your router as follows:

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

SteveInWA

My "FBI behavior profiling" skills have determined that you are in over your head, and making unnecessary changes to your network that you don't adequately understand.

The problem is being caused by whatever customization you have made to your router/firewall.  There is no need to add an OBi device to the DMZ...all that does it open it up to mischief.

If you want it to work, then start with a factory-reset, vanilla configured router and OBi.

Unplug the OBi from power.

Log onto the OBiTALK portal.  Delete your OBi device off of the portal by clicking the trash can icon.

Plug the OBi back into power.

Turn the OBi over and find the factory reset switch hole.  It's a small round dimple with a hole in the middle.  Using a paper clip or similar tool, gently depress and hold in the switch.  You should feel a tactile click.  While keeping it depressed, wait at least 10 seconds, until the power LED starts blinking.  Give it a couple of minutes to factory-reset.

Then, follow the OBiTALK portal's "Add device" procedure to add it again.  Did that work?

BGood

QuoteLog onto the OBiTALK portal.  Delete your OBi device off of the portal by clicking the trash can icon.

There is no trash can icon presented in this web page.  Is there another way to delete the device?

SteveInWA

Sorry, I left out a step.  Click the gear icon to the right of the device name.  Then, find and click the button to delete the device.

BGood

I deleted and re-added the device, then dialed **5 7751.  I received a recorded message that the number I dialed has been sent to the server.  I thin get the following web page:

QuoteAdd an OBi Device
Failed to connect to your device. Please check your device's internet connection:

1. Check to be sure the OBi device's power LED solid green. If the power light (LED) is blinking green, that means the OBi can't get an IP address from your router. Verify the Ethernet cable is securely connected to the OBi and the router. If available check if there is a link light (LED) on the router port where the Ethernet cable connects. If the LED behavior appears to be faulty, try another Ethernet cable.

2. Can you call **9-222-222-222 ? If not, make sure your router's firewall is not blocking traffic from the OBi. Click Here for more.

3. If you are using a Westell / Actiontec router, you MUST disable the firewall. Click Here for more.

Click Try Again or click Cancel to return to the device list.

I get a recorded message "There is no service available to complete your call" when I try to dial the **9-222-222-222 number. 

The Obi202 is in the router's DMZ so it should not be blocked from traffic.

SteveInWA

Like I said:  it's self-inflicted, caused by all the changes you made to your router.  If somebody else wants to spend time with you on this, great.

BGood

Steve, thanks for trying to help.  Any suggestions for the next step?

BGood

In researching this further, it seems there have been a lot of problems with Obihai and specific brands/models of routers.  Apart from the broken integration between the Obitalk, Anveo, and RingTo websites, my most recent Obi202 malfunctions seem to be related to switching out Comcast's Arris TG862 cable modem/router combo and installing a Surfboard SB6141 modem and D-Link DIR-615 router.  Specifically, Obihai problems with the D-Link DIR-615 have been documented similar to the following link:

If anyone has any suggestions relating to this situation, I would appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thanks.

SteveInWA

Seriously:  that router was a piece of junk when it was new, and it is over six years old, which is like 120 in "dog years".  It had broken firmware that would not work with IP telephony.  It belongs in the dumpster with your other old crap.  This, and your other issues, are in no way limitations caused by, or the responsibility of, Obihai.

Your only hope is to try to update its firmware to see if they fixed the bug:

http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-615

If that doesn't work, buy a new router.

SteveInWA

If you can't afford a new router, then you can use the OBi 202's own, built-in router, like this:

Cable-->Surfboard cable modem-->OBi 202 WAN port-->OBi LAN port-->D-link router

You would go into the D-link router's settings, and change it to bridge mode, such that it is no longer performing routing functions, just acting as an Ethernet switch and wireless access point.  The OBi will act as the gateway router and DHCP server and rudimentary firewall.  Do not mess with any DMZ or port forwarding settings.

Just keep in mind that this setup will have relatively poor network throughput, somewhere around 40Mbps, due to the limitations of the OBi and D-link's network hardware.

BGood

Before installing the D-Link DIR-615 I updated its firmware to the latest revision (Hardware Version: C1     Firmware Version: 3.13NA).  This was the cable modem/router I used before subscribing to Comcast's Xfinity triple-play and using the Arris TG862 that supposedly worked best with Comcast telephony. 

The Obi202 was installed and tested in parallel with Comcast Voice before porting the telephone numbers out to Ting, Google Voice, and RingTo.  After porting, I terminated the Comcast Voice subscription and had the Obi202 working with both numbers using only the modem/router functionality of the Arris TG862.

I am not averse to buying a new cable modem/router if the D-Link DIR-615 is not suitable for telephony purposes, and replace the DIR-615 with a newer model which would enable gigabit switching for NAS. But most of the network is set up for fast ethernet, and a gigabit upgrade is otherwise not necessary.  I also have Linksys and SonicWall modem/routers in standby inventory.

Given that the Obihai/D-link glitch has killed land line telephone service at the house, and my Sprint Airave also was a victim of the network reconfiguration, I am under a lot of pressure to get the Obi202 working with the DIR-615 or another more compatible modem/router.  I am not inclined to run the entire network (about 2 dozen devices including Unix and Windows servers) through the Obi202's router, whether bridged or not.

I have opened an Obihai support ticket to help determine if the D-Link can be reconfigured to play with the Obi202, but if it cannot, I would appreciate any recommendations regarding other modem/routers to purchase.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

azrobert

You could try installing the DD-WRT firmware on your router. The DIR-615 is in their router database, but it also must match the revision number.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

SteveInWA

Any current-generation router from any major brand would work.

There were multiple different hardware versions of the DIR-615.  Hardware version C (3.x firmware) was the dud.  If you have upgraded the firmware, you may now be able to find and disable the SIP application layer gateway (SIP ALG) function in the router, which may solve the problem.

Again, this is not specific to Obihai; that version C router simply did not work with VoIP protocol at all.

https://support.onsip.com/hc/en-us/articles/203706874-D-Link-DIR-615-Wireless-N-Router

https://www.google.com/search?q=dir-615+sip&rlz=1CAACAO_enUS670US670&oq=dir-615+sip&aqs=chrome..69i57.4957j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

BGood

Thanks, SteveInWA, I think your comments about the D-Link DIR-615 are appropriate.  Apparently, most older home routers have problems with VOIP traffic and the issues I encountered are not related to the Obihai ATA.

As an epilog follow-up to this post, I was eventually able to get the Obi202 working with three routers: the Comcast Arris TG862 I was leasing from Comcast; the D-Link DIR-615 I resurrected from mothballs; and the Sonicwall TZ-170 which also came from the storage closet.  Although I think it is a little older, I settled on the Sonicwall because it seems to be a better router and the firmware is more reliable.  Frankly, I got scared about steveinWA's comments and the following reported problems with VOIP through the D-Link:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=8273.msg49073#msg49073
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg74715#msg74715
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37191.msg119924#msg119924
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12055.msg71495#msg71495
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5716.msg49033#msg49033

I posted my own experience on the dlink.com website under "DIR-615 and VOIP compatibility" (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=64016.0), but my working DIR-615 configuration included: putting the Obi in the DMZ with QoS enabled; and disabling SIP ALG.  Despite this DIR-615 configuration working with the Obi202, I decided to repurpose the DIR-615 as a wireless access point rather than a router.

The Sonicwall TZ-170 appears to be a cleaner working configuration and did not require exposing the Obi202 in the DMZ.  The working configuration simply has consistent NAT enabled and seems to work whether require SIP Transformations are enabled or disabled (mine are enabled).  My TZ-170 firmware is the standard version which does not have explicit QoS settings.

Hope this helps others trying to get VOIP to work with an older home router.