News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 not passing Caller ID to all handset extensions....

Started by RadyeAtlantic, October 23, 2016, 05:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadyeAtlantic

Odd issue with my OBI200 box and VOIP.MS. Wondering if anyone else has seen this......

When I receive a call, the caller id shows on my Panasonic handset. But there are four handsets all together and the caller id only shows on the primary handset, not any of the extensions. I have the ring time set to 60 seconds so it is not a propagation time issue to get the id to the other handsets.

drgeoff

Are the "extensions" other wired phones all in parallel with the Panasonic one that does show CID or are they other DECT handsets off the the same Panasonic base?

If the former I assume you have tried the other 3 one at a time plugged in to the OBi200.

Either way, it is hard to see that the OBi itself is to blame.

RadyeAtlantic

My error, I should have mentioned the four handsets are DECT.   I've tried combinations and I only get caller id on which ever handset is plugged in to the OBIHAI. 

I was getting caller id on all handsets when I was on a Bell landline.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RadyeAtlantic on October 23, 2016, 07:35:04 AM
My error, I should have mentioned the four handsets are DECT.   I've tried combinations and I only get caller id on which ever handset is plugged in to the OBIHAI. 

I was getting caller id on all handsets when I was on a Bell landline.

That doesn't make sense.  DECT handsets are wireless devices.  They don't plug into the OBi.  Are all four DECT handsets paired to one Panasonic DECT base station, and that base station is plugged into the OBi via a RJ-11 telephone cord?  Or, do you have multiple DECT base stations?

If you have ONE base station plugged into the OBi 200, with four handsets paired to that base station, then they will all receive or not receive the same caller ID information.

RadyeAtlantic

With DECT wireless units, there is always a base unit that is physically plugged in to the ATA.   Pairing each of the extension handsets with the base unit shows the caller id yet still no caller id on the extensions.   I have the latest FW on the OBI200 but the DECT units are about five years old so maybe off to Costco for an upgrade.

UPDATE: new clue.... if the caller has an entry in the handset already then the proper caller id shows on all of the extensions but if the caller is new (never called before) then nothing shows up.   Maybe the OBI200 is sending a blank caller id for new callers.

azrobert

RadyeAtlantic

I am seeing nothing on the Panasonic extensions.  Just the builtin clock.   Only the handset sitting in the base unit gets a number and name.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RadyeAtlantic on October 23, 2016, 10:35:54 AM
With DECT wireless units, there is always a base unit that is physically plugged in to the ATA.   Pairing each of the extension handsets with the base unit shows the caller id yet still no caller id on the extensions.   I have the latest FW on the OBI200 but the DECT units are about five years old so maybe off to Costco for an upgrade.

UPDATE: new clue.... if the caller has an entry in the handset already then the proper caller id shows on all of the extensions but if the caller is new (never called before) then nothing shows up.   Maybe the OBI200 is sending a blank caller id for new callers.

No, not all DECT phone systems have a telephone in the base; I have a Panasonic model with no phone in the base.

There are two different types of caller ID:  caller ID number, and caller ID name.  The number is sent along with the call signaling by the calling party's service provider, to the called party's service provider.  You should see the calling party's number on your handsets.  Caller ID name (CNAM) is not sent by the calling party's service provider.  When the called party's telco receives the call at its switch, it looks up the number in a data base of numbers matched to names, and then sends it to the called party's equipment between the first and second rings.  Google doesn't feed its users' names into those databases, nor does it subscribe to the data bases, so it doesn't look up any names.

As you found, you are merely seeing names stored locally on your telephone's address book.