News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Different Google Voice Accounts

Started by SomeDude, March 18, 2011, 02:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomeDude

Novice here. Possible to setup two GV accounts on one Obi? I have my own GV # and so does my Wife, but ultimately we don't want to use each others. Possible?

Thanks

RonR

Yes, I'm doing that here.  One (or possibly both if you have the LINE Port as your PrimaryLine) will have to dial **1 or **2 to use their particular account for outgoing calls.

whitestar

I got my Obi110 a couple days ago. I used the web-portal to put my Google Voice account on SP1, but I tried to put my parents Google Voice on SP2 using the web portal and it isn't working. I want to see if I can convince them to drop their regular home phone service, so it would be nice to have both ports working for testing purposes.

I realized that my parents GV account hadn't gone through the required activation steps, such as logging into gmail, making a call, selecting "forward to google chat" in GV, etc. I did all that and it still isn't working. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Obitalk is saying I should upgrade my firmware to 200780510, but I wanted to play around with it first before I dare to update the firmware (past bad experiences with other devices makes me hesitant to upgrade firmwares unless necessary...)

RonR

In this case, you should update the firmware first as the version shipped on new OBi's has a number of problems that have since been corrected.  1.2.1 (Build: 2384) appears to be stable.

jimates

Quote from: RonR on June 20, 2011, 01:26:02 PM

In this case, you should update the firmware first as the version shipped on new OBi's has a number of problems that have since been corrected.  1.2.1 (Build: 2384) appears to be stable.

And you can always downgrade the firmware if needed.

whitestar

Thanks guys. I'll update when I get home tonight. Is there a page where I can download old firmwares in case I need to restore an old version? I looked around but I couldn't find one.

RonR

The only old one I see is 2283.  I seriously doubt you'd have a need to regress from 2384, but if you do, I've kept every publicly posted version.

whitestar

well i upgraded the firmware to the latest (##89 if I remember correctly) and I get the same problem. So, to clarify what is happening:

The light for the 2nd line never even lights up.
When I connect a phone I hear no dial tone.
When I dial a number, either just a 10 digit number or **2 beforehand, I hear absolutely nothing.
When I dial *** to get the menu, nothing happens.

The web portal at the Obihai website says I am connected. Just to try something, I input the wrong password and it said "Backing Off (0s):Authentication error" so I assume that it is connecting to GV with the correct password input.

RonR

Quote from: whitestar on June 20, 2011, 07:35:42 PM
well i upgraded the firmware to the latest (##89 if I remember correctly) and I get the same problem.

I would recommend 2384 as 2289 has some documented problems.

The light for the 2nd line never even lights up.

What light for a second line are you talking about?  If this is something on the OBiTALK web site, disregard my question.

When I connect a phone I hear no dial tone.
When I dial a number, either just a 10 digit number or **2 beforehand, I hear absolutely nothing.
When I dial *** to get the menu, nothing happens.

An OBi straight out of the box still at factory defaults should give you a dialtone on the telephone connected to PHONE Port.  No other connections or configuration is required.  You should be able to dial *** and get to the configuration menu or **0 and get the OBi attendant.  If this isn't happening, you have a defective OBi or a defective telephone.

whitestar

Ah, I was talking about the "Line, Telco" input on the Obi110. There is a light that I assume lights up when its configured and connected. I'm assuming thats line 2?

Or are both Line 1 and Line 2 connected to the "Phone" jack? That's something I didn't consider until just now. How does one use the line port then? I even tried connecting a dial up modem and nothing happened.

Also, the unit I got looks different than all the images here on Obihai and Amazon. There are large colorful symbols on the unit, which is probably just decorative, but maybe I got a slightly newer model as I just ordered it last week?

[UPDATE] ah, I just tried a **2 dial with my phone connected to the "Phone" port and I could see the second google voice number show up. I've gotten so used to a Linksys PAP2 with 2 ports for 2 lines.

RonR

The OBi110 supports one single-line telephone connected to the PHONE Port.  Incoming calls from any source (SP1, SP2, OBiTALK, or LINE) will ring this phone (with call waiting should a second call come in).

Outbound calls are made by default through the trunk selected by:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : (SP1/SP2/OBiTALK/PSTN Line/Trunk Group 1)

Outbound calls can be forced to a specific trunk by prefixing **1/**2/**8/**9.

The LINE LED will light if there is telco line connected to the LINE Port.

The PHONE LED will light if the service selected by PrimaryLine is active (for selections of SP1/SP2/OBiTALK).

I think the colorful symbols you're talking about is a pull off piece of tape that protects the silk-screening next to the LEDs.

whitestar

Thanks for clearing things up. I was confused about the purpose of the line port. I thought it was optimized for data or voice, making it worth the extra money over the Obi100. But I guess its for bridging connections and such, which I have no plans to do.

It would be really nice to have 2 phone ports, one for each provider. At least for my situation, with both accounts connected to the Phone port, when the phone rings it could be either for me or my parents and we wouldn't really know without answering. Again, I am so used to a Linksys PAP2, which is what I had them using before until G5 was shut down and no other SIP provider has worked as well.