News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi and Google Phone ringing at the same time?

Started by Sascha, June 21, 2011, 10:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sascha

Hi,

I just got my ObiPhone yesterday and was able to set it up using my Google Voice account to make outgoing calls as well as receive phone calls. Unfortunately I realized that I'm not able to use the standard Google Voice phone browser app to receive calls. Is there a way to configure it to ring both, Google voice on my computer and my Obi attached phone?

Thanks for your help!

jimates

because the Obi uses the chat feature of gmail, including the credentials for signing in, Obihai recommends not using the same gmail account in a browser that you have configured on the Obi. Theoretically the last one to connect to google's server will take precedence.

RonR said he has used both at the same time without issue.

You can set up the Obion app for pc with a softphone and have the Obi fork the call to the softphone at the same time it rings the phone port on the Obi.

QBZappy

Sascha,

Hi, A variation of Jim's suggestion is to get another GV number. You could then fork (simultaneous call) it to that second number if you wanted to use the browser to receive your calls.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Sascha

Thanks for the response. The forking option might be a solution, but how do I  set this up?

jimates

Forking is what google voice does with a call.

You can fork a call to many numbers at the same time. Whichever one answers first wins the call.

Forking a call is set up for each incoming service, sp1, sp2, li, PP.

You set the InboundCallRoute for each service to ring where you want it.

Example: Voice Service > SP1 > X_InboundCallRoute = {ph,pp(290xxxxxx|290yyyyyy|290zzzzzz)}
- Incoming calls on SP1 will simultaneously ring "ph" (the phone connected to the Obi) and "pp" (any obitalk numbers listed). The obitalk numbers can be other Obi devices or Obitalk numbers.

Example: Voice Service > SP1 > X_InboundCallRoute = {ph,xxxxxxxxxx}
- Incoming calls on SP1 will simultaneously ring "ph" and the number designated by xxx...
The call to xxx..... will be place using the service that is set as the default for outgoing calls.

Example: Voice Service > SP1 > X_InboundCallRoute = {ph,sp1(xxxxxxxxxx)}
- Incoming calls on SP1 will simultaneously ring "ph" and the number designated by xxx...
The call to xxx..... will be place using SP1.

To fork to multiple numbers add them to the rule, ie: {ph,sp1(xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx)}

NOTES:
- When forking calls out on the LINE port, the LINE port usually wins by default of the Obi seeing it as answered.
- Caller ID of the outgoing forked call will be that of the service used to place the call. With the upcoming (soon) firmware 1.3, when forking using Obitalk Service the caller id of the original call will be passed to the forked destinations.

jimates

GoogleTalk is a separate program and since the Obi also has the ability to call GoogleTalk contacts that are listed is speed dial you may be able to fork the call to a GoogleTalk contact using the method RonR has in this post
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1073.0