News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ring.To moving to paid subscription by 2-15-16

Started by Taoman, December 16, 2015, 11:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

I thought this might happen which is why I never ported an important number to Ring.to or used it with my OBi.

Certainly not a "break the bank" type deal but still more expensive than Google Voice and it appears OBi devices will no longer be supported even under the paid subscription model.

https://ring.to/#newservice

http://slickdeals.net/f/8378007-psa-ringto-free-service-coming-to-an-end-port-your-numbers-by-2-15-16-or-pay-for-service-grooveip-obihai-customers-affected?p=80639941&utm_source=dealalerts&utm_medium=em-i&utm_term=6330&utm_content=u2731356&utm_campaign=tu4#post80639941

TonyTib

Well, whether it makes sense or not depends on your situation...

I have two Ring.to numbers, one from my GrooveIP app & one ported, and I'll probably drop the GrooveIP number.

Ring.to does make it easier to port-in landlines (my ported number was a landline, and the porting was quick - and free).  For $1.50/month, I'll probably keep it on Ring.to, because I like some redundancy (we use GV for our other main incoming number), and it's still cheaper than parking the number elsewhere.

Taoman

Quote from: TonyTib on December 16, 2015, 12:00:46 PM

Ring.to does make it easier to port-in landlines (my ported number was a landline, and the porting was quick - and free).  For $1.50/month, I'll probably keep it on Ring.to, because I like some redundancy (we use GV for our other main incoming number), and it's still cheaper than parking the number elsewhere.

I park my numbers at VoIP.ms for $0.85 per month and porting in US numbers is (currently) free.

TonyTib

Well, the number isn't only parked - it's our number for non-family & friends, so it gets some use.
VoIP.ms was my other choice, and I still might port it to them, but for our level of calling, it's at best a toss-up (since VoIP.ms charges per minute for the DID).

I guess if I wanted to be really cheap, I could try Anveo Direct :)

Taoman

Quote from: TonyTib on December 16, 2015, 12:49:18 PM
Well, the number isn't only parked - it's our number for non-family & friends, so it gets some use.

Ah yes. If you use much more than an hour of calls on the line per month it would be cheaper to stay with Ring.To. Or, I suppose, if you had multiple DIDs you wanted to keep then Ring.to would be cheaper also.

I take it you don't use your OBi with Ring.to?

LeoKing

Quote from: TonyTib on December 16, 2015, 12:00:46 PM
Well, whether it makes sense or not depends on your situation...

I have two Ring.to numbers, one from my GrooveIP app & one ported, and I'll probably drop the GrooveIP number.

Ring.to does make it easier to port-in landlines (my ported number was a landline, and the porting was quick - and free).  For $1.50/month, I'll probably keep it on Ring.to, because I like some redundancy (we use GV for our other main incoming number), and it's still cheaper than parking the number elsewhere.

I also have 2 Ringto numbers. I'll probably drop the Groove IP one and keep the ported one, too. I am still waiting for more details from Ringto on their upcoming paid service.

TonyTib

Quote from: Taoman on December 16, 2015, 01:08:49 PM

I take it you don't use your OBi with Ring.to?
Yes, no Ring.to since my Obi 202 is too old; I have both Ring.to and GV forwarding to another ITSP (which provides CNAM, which for us is actually pretty useful).

Since my DSL line comes with a "free" POTS line with CNAM, I tried forwarding to my ObiLine, but it seemed a little slow to pickup (e.g. calls went to GV voicemail instead of the answering machine).  I'm still trying out the ObiLine for outgoing calls; most of the time it's fine, with occasional echoing (currently set to US default settings).

One reason I'll stick with Ring.to for a while is to see what they do with the money.  If they are using the money to make the service better, then I'll stay around for a long time.  But if the price keeps going up and nothing improves, then I'll be leaving.

Since Hangouts dialer works pretty well for me, GrooveIP would have to have a pretty compelling offer for me to stick with them (they're going paid, too).

Stranger

I would not mind $18/yr for the service, but the message reads as though new service is NOT going to be compatible with ObiHai.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and move over to GV.

SteveInWA

For anyone contemplating moving over from ring.to to Google Voice:

The instructions provided by "rolandh" over on the ring.to community are incorrect and will not work.  Google Voice requires that the phone number being ported in be in-service on a working handset, and able to receive a verification phone call from Google.  This is an anti-fraud measure, to prevent phone numbers being stolen from customers and moved to another provider ("number slamming").  Just buy a prepaid T-Mobile SIM (often available for 99 cents via a promo code on T-Mobile's website), insert it into any T-Mobile or unlocked GSM phone, and activate it according to T-Mobile's instructions.  If you don't have an unlocked GSM or T-Mobile handset, borrow one from a family member or friend -- it's only needed briefly, to activate the number and then verify it with Google Voice.

The correct instructions are here:  http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

Ideally, since Bandwidth provides carrier and porting services for Google Voice, BW ought to just work out a streamlined procedure to take care of porting from ring.to to GV, but that's up to them.

gmercator

I saw this post from the Beta Group quoted on 2 other forums:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30477704-Other-RingTo-transitioning-to-paid-service
and:
http://slickdeals.net/f/8378007-psa-ringto-free-service-coming-to-an-end-port-your-numbers-by-2-15-16-or-pay-for-service-grooveip-obihai-customers-affected

Quote from Beta Group
Earlier today we notified about 11,000 users that RingTo will be moving to a paid service in 2016. As beta users, you are usually privy to information before the general RingTo population, but the particulars of this announcement made it challenging to stage the information.

What most of you really want to know is.... how does this affect me?

If you ported a number into RingTo then you are one of the 11,000 that got an email blast from us earlier today. You are the 1% (figuratively speaking). You put your trust in us with your phone number. You were part of the sometimes painful lessons we learned about porting. We want to make sure your number still has a safe home.

If you did not get the email, but are part of this beta group, it means either we messed up our record keeping (possible) or more likely, you signed up with Groove IP and use the RingTo app only for account management and SMS/MMS.

In 2016 RingTo will be entering a maintenance period. What that means is you should not count on new features. The last "major" feature will be contact list integration. After that we'll address critical bugs, should any arise. There will be a skeleton staff to ensure the service remains up and running.

After a lot of number crunching and analysis of user call trends, we saw that the average use of minutes across the entire RingTo base of monthly active users is about 100 minutes. Based on that we crunched some more numbers and determined that if enough people sign up at $18/year, we are willing to let the service continue. We made it affordable in the hopes to attract as many of the 11,000 users who ported their number in.

The email blast was light on details. I'll try to hit the common questions here:
1. Cost - $18/yr per account. Not per number. Tax is not included.

2. Usage - The Terms of Service currently sets a limit of 5,000 minutes of use per month. In order to keep costs low at $18/yr, we will be reducing the limit to 300. Your initial reaction will be WTF! Go back and re-read the part about the average use across the entire base. The limit is to protect against abuse. Have we ever enforced the TOS for abuse? Yup, but only in the most egregious cases. In other words, this is not something that we really want to enforce. If the group average creeps up, the highest users will be getting a note from us, along with possible suspension of service. If you dial into a party line all day long (you know who you are AND I KNOW who you are), RingTo is not for you.

3. 911 support - Nope. As a pure OTT app and call forwarding solution, there will not be any e911 support unless there is an FCC mandate.

4. Obihai - If you use an Obi, you are not only in the 1%, you are in the 0.01% (again, figuratively speaking). You are a very special group of users who tend to be highly technical and very familiar with the nuances of VoIP. You generally don't want a pre-packaged solution, you want the flexibility of mixing / matching your device and VoIP providers. You want to save money and you want a rock-solid service. Based on the small number of users we have on RingTo, there was no reasonable price point we could offer that would allow us to support Obi devices while also offering 911 capabilities and the extra support overhead on our side for managing the tickets we get from Obi users. Rather than offer an unreasonably priced service, we've elected to be up front and are committed to helping you find an alternative provider that will support your Obi device. We are working with Obihai to help identify partners that would like to roll out the welcome mat for existing RingTo users. Which leads to the next point.

5. Anveo 911 - Did you just renew? Wondering if you'll actually get a year of e911 service for that $15? We're working with Anveo right now to sort out how to best offer a transition period. More news will come.

6. GrooVe IP - GrooVe IP will be sending out a notice in the near future about their new and improved app experience. GrooVe IP and RingTo will be parting ways in 2016. It has been an incredible partnership that has brought value to both parties.

7. Timing - RingTo is marching towards a February transition for users that are interested in continuing. While the actual dates may change, the direction of the service will not. For both GrooVe IP and Obi users, the timing of a transition will be announced in January.

8. Betas - There will likely be one more beta before the end of 2015, focused on contact list integration. No plans for more betas in 2016 at the moment.

Is $18/yr worth the price? That is a personal decision for each of you to make. I will put on my "sales" hat and just remind you of the following:

1. Most people have a cell phone and really just need a simple / cheap place to park/forward their number. If that sounds like you, RingTo is probably going to be one of the most cost effective solutions for you.

2. RingTo has NEVER inserted ads or sold your information to advertisers. Monetization through advertising is just not in our

DNA.

3. RingTo is the only app on the market today that allows you to dynamically select your outbound number. No other app does it. In fact, we have a patent pending on that feature. If you have multiple phone numbers, RingTo is likely still a good deal for you.

Is this goodbye? Hopefully not. For those of you that have been part of RingTo for over six months know that we try to give you as much transparency as possible. If there is no interest from our community in seeing RingTo as a service worth paying for, then the alternative is an orderly shutdown for everyone.

So there you go.... Every beta user is now an "insider". Use the power wisely.

and on that dslreports.com forum, a "spokesman" from Anveo posted:

Anveo will introduce Free Porting from Ring.to plus we will offer a fully automated and easy to follow signup process to migrate existing Ring.to customers to Anveo OBITALK special packages. Moreover, the signup process will take into account existing Anveo 'E911 for Ring.to' service paid (pro-rated).

I am not using RingTo or Anveo on my Obi box, but anyone that currently has that combination of services set-up should pay attention to whatever offers appear to migrate them to Anveo so that they might avoid extra fees and/or downtime (assuming they would want to keep Anveo as their provider)

Please read the Beta Group quote above carefully

I have one old legacy AT&T number parked at RingTo, and will probably keep it there for the next year... there was an email received as part of their "blast" that would give a ported-in customer 14 months for the price of 12 ($18.00 for 14 months) but if the quote above is accurate, and not enough "paying customers" are sticking around, they will most likely shut down the entire service in early 2017, sometime on or after March 1, 2017 (14 months away from Jan 1 - Feb 15 2016)

There could also be other port-in offers from other Obi-friendly providers that will be in response to RingTo's business decision(s)

Hope this helps

rolandh

I have modified my post in RingTo's Community to reflect the fact that Google Voice requires a verification call be received at the number being ported after being reminded of that fact by another member of RingTo's Community. Apologies to both communities for the confusion created.

zorlac

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2015, 04:42:58 PM
Ring.to at $1.50 per month seems very reasonable to me for phone service.
Only if it continues to work with an obi box.  :-\

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 16, 2015, 05:59:01 PM
Ideally, since Bandwidth provides carrier and porting services for Google Voice, BW ought to just work out a streamlined procedure to take care of porting from ring.to to GV, but that's up to them.
That would be nice!

"we've elected to be up front and are committed to helping you find an alternative provider that will support your Obi device. We are working with Obihai to help identify partners that would like to roll out the welcome mat for existing RingTo users."

It's interesting to see that the firm end date is in place before any potential solutions are offered to the adversely impacted subscribers.   :P

SteveInWA

gmercator, thanks a lot for relaying that information; I think Bandwidth did an excellent job openly explaining the rationale behind their decisions. 

With regard to continuing their service on OBi devices, it just doesn't make any sense from a business perspective -- OBi users would a) have the highest technical support labor cost per user, and b) have lots of other provider options from which to choose.  BW is a very large carrier, and almost all their business is with telephone service providers, not consumers.  Staffing a consumer-level customer service and support operation for such a small user base just didn't turn out to be a worthwhile use of their resources.

CPEM

So I'm in a bit of a bind here.  I set my parents up with an Obihai box and was using Ring.To for them.  I have the same set up at my house.  Both of our service was disrupted this week.  My dad emailed ObiTalk tech support and they told him to delete Ring.To from SP1 and then add it again. He went to do this and there was no link/option for Ring.To to be added back on ObiTalk.  I received the same instructions, but now I'm reluctant to follow that since it looks like we can't add it back on.  Anybody have an idea on what to do here? 

Taoman

I can no longer log into my Ring.to account which I have been using regularly. I have tried both the web interface and the iOS Ring.to app and they both give me the message:

"This user is inactive"

Luckily, I never configured any of my OBi's with Ring.to so it's no big deal to me. It was just a ported in Groove IP number I used mostly for testing purposes. But I feel sorry for the people that have ported their main numbers over to Ring.to and then paid for Anveo's E911. I think they're in for a world of hurt.
The only option I've heard for them so far is to switch to one of Anveo's OBi plans. I guess porting will be free and no setup fees. E911 subscription will be prorated.

TonyTib

rolandh

Quote from: Taoman on December 18, 2015, 02:03:24 PM
I can no longer log into my Ring.to account which I have been using regularly. I have tried both the web interface and the iOS Ring.to app and they both give me the message:

"This user is inactive"

Luckily, I never configured any of my OBi's with Ring.to so it's no big deal to me. It was just a ported in Groove IP number I used mostly for testing purposes. But I feel sorry for the people that have ported their main numbers over to Ring.to and then paid for Anveo's E911. I think they're in for a world of hurt.
The only option I've heard for them so far is to switch to one of Anveo's OBi plans. I guess porting will be free and no setup fees. E911 subscription will be prorated.

RingTo's OBi users are free to port their numbers to any service provider they wish. It's true that, so far, Anveo is the only provider that has stepped up with an offer that leverages the E911 for RingTo subscription fee. The reality is they're the only provider in a position to do so directly. Anveo is on record as saying they won't otherwise refund the subscription fee because it will work on an OBi whether RingTo is provisioned or not. Please see this DSLR thread, https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30477704-Other-RingTo-transitioning-to-paid-service.

Regarding your RingTo user account being inactive, it has nothing to do with RingTo's pending transition to paid service. You could always post on RingTo's Community or open a support ticket to get it sorted out, if you wish. For what it is worth, I'm able to sign into multiple RingTo accounts with no issues.

CPEM

Quote from: CPEM on December 18, 2015, 10:52:35 AM
So I'm in a bit of a bind here.  I set my parents up with an Obihai box and was using Ring.To for them.  I have the same set up at my house.  Both of our service was disrupted this week.  My dad emailed ObiTalk tech support and they told him to delete Ring.To from SP1 and then add it again. He went to do this and there was no link/option for Ring.To to be added back on ObiTalk.  I received the same instructions, but now I'm reluctant to follow that since it looks like we can't add it back on.  Anybody have an idea on what to do here? 

Update to the above: Just in case anyone else is experiencing something similar, I was able to contact Ring.To and they got us set back up, even if it's only temporarily.  The instructions are easy to follow, but they require a personalized log-in and password, so you'll have to contact them to get set up again. 

Taoman

RingTo is apparently not moving to a paid subscription model anytime soon. However, OBi users are still out of luck and must port out before April 1st.

https://community.ring.to/thread/2162

rolandh

OBi users with ported numbers are welcome to stay with RingTo, so long as they're willing to use RingTo's website and/or mobile apps for calling and/or messaging. If they wish to continue using their RingTo number on an OBi (likely), they will want to port prior to April 1st.

Anveo and CircleNet are offering porting promotions aimed at RingTo's Obihai users. Details are here, https://community.ring.to/thread/2162.

An important note, RingTo is not accepting new users.