News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ring.To moving to paid subscription by 2-15-16

Started by Taoman, December 16, 2015, 11:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

Quote from: rolandh on February 19, 2016, 11:15:18 AM
OBi users with ported numbers are welcome to stay with RingTo, so long as they're willing to use RingTo's website and/or mobile apps for calling and/or messaging. If they wish to continue using their RingTo number on an OBi (likely), they will want to port prior to April 1st.

Anveo and CircleNet are offering porting promotions aimed at RingTo's Obihai users. Details are here, https://community.ring.to/thread/2162.

An important note, RingTo is not accepting new users.

It seems to me that RingTo will allow continued free service (based on limitations) but that doesn't apply to anyone using the OBi device (even if that OBi user wants to abide by the new limitations).

I get the sense that there has been a falling out between RingTo and Obihai. To say to current Obihai/Ringto customers that you are welcome to continue to use our service for free but just don't use it with the OBi device is loaded with lots of bitterness.

If RingTo is not taking any customers from Obihai and assume the requirements to use the service within its limits or be kicked out, why should it matter if the call is through an app or an OBi device?

ipse

Quote from: LTN1 on February 19, 2016, 12:20:19 PM

I get the sense that there has been a falling out between RingTo and Obihai. To say to current Obihai/Ringto customers that you are welcome to continue to use our service for free but just don't use it with the OBi device is loaded with lots of bitterness.
They seem to have also fall out with SNRBLabs (makers of GrooveIP) as the users that got a number via GrooveIP are also SOL.
Free is free, but a degree of professionalism handling these things is required. When I think I was about to buy an Obi200 JUST because my old(er) 100 and 110 did not "qualify" for Ring.to service...glad I didn't.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

rolandh

Quote from: LTN1 on February 19, 2016, 12:20:19 PM
It seems to me that RingTo will allow continued free service (based on limitations) but that doesn't apply to anyone using the OBi device (even if that OBi user wants to abide by the new limitations).

If RingTo is not taking any customers from Obihai and assume the requirements to use the service within its limits or be kicked out, why should it matter if the call is through an app or an OBi device?

RingTo is continuing free service for existing account holders with ported numbers subject to new TOS as of April 1st. As you observe, that is based on limitations. Among those limitations is no use of third party means of accessing RingTo. This includes use of GrooVe IP as well as Obihai devices. The only authorized means of access will be RingTo's website and/or mobile apps.

I have no idea what the state of RingTo's relationship with Obihai might be. That said, Obihai users are not being singled out as far as use of third party means of access is concerned. Use of GrooVe IP to access RingTo will not be an option either.

RingTo is not accepting any new subscribers, at this time, be they users wanting to use an OBi, GrooVe IP or RingTo's 1st party means of access. The continuing service will be available to existing account holders only.

Regarding differing requirements for OBi users as opposed to app users, I can think of one. Without access to the OBiTalk portal as an ASP, RingTo has no means of enforcing its requirement that 911 service be on the device. Unlike Google Voice, RingTo has always taken the position that when paired with an OBi, it was providing an Interconnected VoIP Service as defined by the FCC. Perhaps, the fact that RingTo is owned and operated by an FCC regulated CLEC, Bandwidth.com, is the reason for this interpretation.

rolandh

Quote from: ipse on February 19, 2016, 01:09:42 PM
They seem to have also fall out with SNRBLabs (makers of GrooveIP) as the users that got a number via GrooveIP are also SOL.
Free is free, but a degree of professionalism handling these things is required. When I think I was about to buy an Obi200 JUST because my old(er) 100 and 110 did not "qualify" for Ring.to service...glad I didn't.

RingTo's continuing service is being offered to those users who chose to port a number in to the service. The inability to use third party apps/devices is one of the new limitations.

As I'm sure you know, GrooVe IP will be launching its own paid service. RingTo will not compete with its partner, SNRB Labs, for those customers. The "divorce" is an amicable one.