News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Noise from the phone

Started by dantheman, February 03, 2016, 11:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dantheman

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.  I did search, but I cannot find anything related to my situation.

If I connect the phone directly to the Obi200, the sound is crystal clear, but it limits to just one phone in the house (I don't have the phone set).  The way to get around that is to connect the phone jack from the Obi200 to the phone jack on the wall, then all the wall phone jacks work just like the land lines.  The problem I have is that the phone has a lot of noises.  I wonder if the reason for the noise is because I have not disconnected my telephone service from the house wiring at the AT&T box outside my house.  Would that caused the interference/noise?

Thanks,

SteveInWA

I realize that searching this forum isn't easy, but that question has been asked and answered many, many times.

You must never, ever, hook up a VoIP telephone adapter like an OBi to internal house wiring that is still connected to an external telephone service at the demarcation box.  Doing so is sending ~48VDC into your OBi, and ~90VAC when a call from that phone company rings.  You are lucky you didn't fry your OBi, and nullify the warranty.  Disconnect the OBi from the phone wiring until the telephone company's wires are completely disconnected (not just service turned off, but the wires physically removed from the terminals).

dantheman

SteveInWA, thanks so much for your explanation.

dantheman

Steve,

Thanks again for your help!!!  I did unplugged the AT&T service line at the demarcation box.  I was lucky that the Obi200 didn't fry and everything works perfect now.  It would have been very frustrate not knowing why the device is fried.

SteveInWA

Good to hear that no magic smoke was lost and all's well.