News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Travelling with ATA

Started by jksp22, December 19, 2015, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jksp22

I'm going to be on a business trip to east asia (China, Korea, Japan) and was wondering if I could just plug my ATA there in those countries and simply use the OBI number to contact my second OBI device here in north america. Is this possible?

Thanks for your answer.

drgeoff

Assuming your OBi connects to the internet and gets its local IP settings by DHCP or manually and there is no blocking carried out by the ISP, then yes it should work.  In particular I would expect Japan to work   - I have an Obi100 there which uses the OBitalk network to communicate with the UK.  South Korea will probably work.  North Korea and China?

One potential issue is internet access in hotels.  Some assume the connected device will be a computer with a browser and present a log-on page to be completed before access is granted. An Obi device cannot handle that.  And some hotels do not provide a wired ethernet socket, only Wi-Fi.

And the connection needs to give you a sustained data rate of more than about 100 kbit/s.

HelloG

@drgeoff has already pointed out some stumbling blocks, and I've run into most of those & failed on to use my Obi110 at all.  However, on one trip to Hong Kong I was able to dial using the ObiON software on my iPad connecting to my Obi110 back in the US.

One thing I've had my eye on are some travel routers which have features to allow you to log in to hotel wifi that require signing in via a web page.  If you had that and could connect your Obi behind that (would need a network port) you might have better luck.  Let us know of your experience when you return.