News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changed Google Voice Password, can't configure Obi

Started by foiltravis, December 23, 2015, 12:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foiltravis

I changed my google voice password and I now get a message when I login to Obitalk that my password is incorrect and I need to update it. When I go to the Configure Voice Service Providers screen and click on SP1 which is for Google Voice the screen refreshes and takes me back to the same screen. If I click on SP2 which is configured for my other provider I get into the configuration for that provider. Why can I not get into the configuration for SP1?

SteveInWA

Not enough information to know the history of your account and what you are doing.

There are two ways to create and sign into an OBiTALK account:  you either created a dedicated user ID and password with OBiTALK, or you signed in using Google Voice credentials.  Which did you do?

What model of OBi do you have?  How long ago did you originally set it up to use GV?

foiltravis

Thanks for the reply. I have a dedicated user id and password and my device is a Obi100. According to the Obitalk site I have had the device since Oct 2012. I don't remember the last time I changed my Google Voice password but it was probably a couple of years ago.

SteveInWA

OK, thanks.  It's still not 100% clear what is happening, but my guess is that you previously set up your OBi to use Google Voice before Google and Obihai changed the authentication method used for the service.

• Find the IP address of your OBi device:  pick up the attached telephone, press ***1, and listen for the IP address.
  • Open a web browser tab and go to that address.  If you haven't changed the OBi's own password, then it's admin/admin.  Otherwise, enter your device password.  Note: this is not necessarily the same as the password you used for the OBiTALK portal.
  • Go to System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update, and click the Choose File button.  Point it to the .fw file you downloaded in the step above, then click the Update button to begin the update.  Watch the LEDs on your OBi, and wait a few minutes.  After the LEDs stop blinking, the update is complete (the network LED will continue to flicker; that's normal).
  • Log into the OBiTALK portal again.  Delete your existing Google Voice (SP1) configuration if possible.  If it just sends you into a loop, you will have to factory-reset the OBi.
  • Leaving that browser tab open, press Ctrl-T to open another browser tab.  Log into your Google Voice account, and examine the left column of the page, to make sure you see the exact two words "Your number" and your GV phone number, to verify that you are using the correct Google account.  Leave this tab open.
  • Back on the OBiTALK portal page, click the SP1 link to configure Google Voice, and follow the instructions.  The new method will take you to your Google account, where Google will ask your permission for OBiTALK to access the Chat service on that Google account.  It will not ask for, nor store, your Google password.  Allow the permission.
  • Let the procedure finish.  It will eventually take you to a page, showing a "configuring" message with a progress "spinner".  There's a bug that leaves it spinning indefinitely.  Just give it a few minutes, watch your OBi's LEDs, and when they stabilize again, refresh the web page.  You should now see a status of "Connected".  You're done.  Give it a try.

foiltravis

Things went well until I got to the part to click on the SP1 Link to configure Google Voice. When I do that I get a screen that says "Firmware upgrade needed. Cannot upgrade 300378992 since it is offline. Please try again when it is online." When I check the installed firmware via the system management page it indicates 1.3.0 (Build: 2872) which appears to be the new version. Any idea how to get the OBI100 back online? I have removed the power and waited a minute and powered it back on, it still indicates it is offline.

This is where I am in the process:
Back on the OBiTALK portal page, click the SP1 link to configure Google Voice, and follow the instructions.  The new method will take you to your Google account, where Google will ask your permission for OBiTALK to access the Chat service on that Google account.  It will not ask for, nor store, your Google password.  Allow the permission.

SteveInWA

Look at the OBiTALK main "dashboard" page, where you should see your OBi device listed.  What color is the dot next to it, green or grey?  If it's grey, then you have a problem.  If it's green, then the "offline" warning is bogus.  If you are red/green colorblind, then get somebody else to look at it  ;D .

On the OBi's local webpage (IP address), look at System Management-->Auto Provisioning.  Have you disabled Auto Firmware Update and/or OBiTALK Provisioning?  If so, re-enable them to "Periodically", power-cycle the device, wait a few minutes, and then try the Google Voice procedure again.

foiltravis

After my last reply I went to bed and when I got up this morning I was able to click on SP1 and complete the Google Voice configuration process. Everything worked fine. When I got to the spinner I just let it run while I went and did something else and when I returned I had a message saying everything was successful. I then reloaded the page and everything is working. I can't Thank You enough for all of your help!!!

Voxbo

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 23, 2015, 08:29:01 PM
OK, thanks.  It's still not 100% clear what is happening, but my guess is that you previously set up your OBi to use Google Voice before Google and Obihai changed the authentication method used for the service.

• Find the IP address of your OBi device:  pick up the attached telephone, press ***1, and listen for the IP address.
  • Open a web browser tab and go to that address.  If you haven't changed the OBi's own password, then it's admin/admin.  Otherwise, enter your device password.  Note: this is not necessarily the same as the password you used for the OBiTALK portal.
  • Go to System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update, and click the Choose File button.  Point it to the .fw file you downloaded in the step above, then click the Update button to begin the update.  Watch the LEDs on your OBi, and wait a few minutes.  After the LEDs stop blinking, the update is complete (the network LED will continue to flicker; that's normal).
  • Log into the OBiTALK portal again.  Delete your existing Google Voice (SP1) configuration if possible.  If it just sends you into a loop, you will have to factory-reset the OBi.
  • Leaving that browser tab open, press Ctrl-T to open another browser tab.  Log into your Google Voice account, and examine the left column of the page, to make sure you see the exact two words "Your number" and your GV phone number, to verify that you are using the correct Google account.  Leave this tab open.
  • Back on the OBiTALK portal page, click the SP1 link to configure Google Voice, and follow the instructions.  The new method will take you to your Google account, where Google will ask your permission for OBiTALK to access the Chat service on that Google account.  It will not ask for, nor store, your Google password.  Allow the permission.
  • Let the procedure finish.  It will eventually take you to a page, showing a "configuring" message with a progress "spinner".  There's a bug that leaves it spinning indefinitely.  Just give it a few minutes, watch your OBi's LEDs, and when they stabilize again, refresh the web page.  You should now see a status of "Connected".  You're done.  Give it a try.

Steve, this guide was great. I was unable to add my new Google password on my Obi110. I followed your steps and was able to update my firmware as well as update my Google voice password! Thanks and Wish you and your family a Wonderful Holiday Season and a New Year full of Happiness and Health.

SteveInWA

Great!  I'm glad hear it's helping.  Happy holidays!

c2farr

1/8/15  I changed my google pw and then could not use google voice.  When trying to make an outgoing call, a recording stated to change pw at obitalk.  The successful solution was pretty simple:  I logged into obitalk using the obi login...NOT using login via google.  A popup message then provided the steps for me to re-authorize the share data link between google and obi.

GregCNJ

I also recently changed by Google password and received an automated recording from my Obi100 that said I couldn't use my Obi100 until I changed my Voice Service password at obitalk.com to match my new Google Voice password.  The problem was that when I went to the Obi Expert Configuration Menu, and then to the Voice Service submenu, and then to the SP1 Service submenu, and then to the SIP Credentials section, I was not able to input anything into the AuthPassword field.

The workaround that worked for me was to uncheck the OBITALK Settings box for the AuthPassword field, which then brought up an already checked Device Default box.  I then unchecked the Device Default box, and by doing that the field became unlocked, allowing me to enter my new Google Voice password.

That wasn't the end of it, though.  Once my new password was entered, I immediately received an alert message from Google Voice, "Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account <ObiTalk email> from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards."   The email included a link to Google Voice that talks about "less secure apps."  At that Google Voice link, https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255, it explains how to change the Google Voice settings to allow "less secure apps" to access Google Voice.  Once I changed that security setting in Google Voice, my Obi100 was able to make contact and now it works like it always did.

I presume that the firmware update allows for a more secure connection to Google Voice, but I always balk at updating firmware because of what can go wrong.

SteveInWA

Quote from: GregCNJ on February 24, 2016, 01:07:18 PM
I also recently changed by Google password and received an automated recording from my Obi100 that said I couldn't use my Obi100 until I changed my Voice Service password at obitalk.com to match my new Google Voice password.  The problem was that when I went to the Obi Expert Configuration Menu, and then to the Voice Service submenu, and then to the SP1 Service submenu, and then to the SIP Credentials section, I was not able to input anything into the AuthPassword field.

The workaround that worked for me was to uncheck the OBITALK Settings box for the AuthPassword field, which then brought up an already checked Device Default box.  I then unchecked the Device Default box, and by doing that the field became unlocked, allowing me to enter my new Google Voice password.

That wasn't the end of it, though.  Once my new password was entered, I immediately received an alert message from Google Voice, "Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account <ObiTalk email> from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards."   The email included a link to Google Voice that talks about "less secure apps."  At that Google Voice link, https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255, it explains how to change the Google Voice settings to allow "less secure apps" to access Google Voice.  Once I changed that security setting in Google Voice, my Obi100 was able to make contact and now it works like it always did.

I presume that the firmware update allows for a more secure connection to Google Voice, but I always balk at updating firmware because of what can go wrong.

NO!  You just made your Google account less secure, and you are using an unapproved method of accessing Google Voice on your OBi.  This has been discussed to death for two years.  There is no reason to not get with the program and update your device.

Follow my instructions in my December 24th post, above.

Glenn1963

Despite having manually upgraded my obi100 to 1.3.0 (Build: 2872), I cannot get rid of the error, "This OBi device's annual support entitlement has expired..." and cannot configure Google Voice.

I deleted the Google Voice settings from the dashboard.

I set auto-provisioning on, which worked because it deleted both of my voice services previously configured. Plus I added back my Callcentric account through obiTalk, and that updated back to the 100.

I deleted the device from the dashboard, and then re-added it.

Did a factory reset and got back to where Callcentric will work, but cannot get rid of the error message.

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Mango

You need to manually upgrade to 2886: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg73954#msg73954

If you cannot manually update your firmware because you do not know your OBi ATA's admin password, follow the directions to factory reset your OBi ATA: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset

Glenn1963

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. That did solve my problem :)

I really thought I had read the correct threads on the subject, sorry for the ignorance.

Thanks again!

Mango

No apology necessary.  I'm glad things are working now!

midnightinparis

I have the same problem. I've got Obi110 using 1.3.0 build 2872.  I updated the fw per the instructions in this thread. Deleted device, added it back. I've authenticated the obi. Stuck in a loop now. Try to add Google Voice but it keeps going back to dashboard. SP1 and SP2 say "not configured" with a gear symbol to right.  Click on it and next page is "approved providers" so I click on Google Voice and now back to dashboard.

I also have tried a factory reset on the obi and been through all of this again. No I'm back to the upgraded firmware and still the above. It's maddening.

I DO have my google voice open in the browser. One thing I'm wondering about is that there is a "hangout" option on left of voice page. I DO have the Google Chat box checked, but I'm wondering if something in my google voice settings are prohibiting the connection with obitalk.

LTN1

Quote from: midnightinparis on June 18, 2016, 11:17:47 AM
I have the same problem. I've got Obi110 using 1.3.0 build 2872.  I updated the fw per the instructions in this thread. Deleted device, added it back. I've authenticated the obi. Stuck in a loop now. Try to add Google Voice but it keeps going back to dashboard. SP1 and SP2 say "not configured" with a gear symbol to right.  Click on it and next page is "approved providers" so I click on Google Voice and now back to dashboard.

I also have tried a factory reset on the obi and been through all of this again. No I'm back to the upgraded firmware and still the above. It's maddening.

I DO have my google voice open in the browser. One thing I'm wondering about is that there is a "hangout" option on left of voice page. I DO have the Google Chat box checked, but I'm wondering if something in my google voice settings are prohibiting the connection with obitalk.

Don't assume that you have done it properly. Use the following instructions by SteveInWA and do it again to the letter:

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Although the filename includes "OBi110", it is also valid for OBi100 devices.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.
  • You may need to re-authorize your device to use your Google account after this procedure.  To do that, first, be sure that you are logged into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Then, open another web browser tab, and log into to the OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device, then click on the Service Provider (SP1 or SP2) that is using Google Voice.  Click "Accept" at the prompt.  On the window that will open, click the link to "Replace Google account credentials" and follow the instructions.

midnightinparis

Quote from: LTN1 on June 18, 2016, 12:01:31 PM

Don't assume that you have done it properly. Use the following instructions by SteveInWA and do it again to the letter:

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • You may need to re-authorize your device to use your Google account after this procedure.  To do that, first, be sure that you are logged into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Then, open another web browser tab, and log into to the OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device, then click on the Service Provider (SP1 or SP2) that is using Google Voice.  Click "Accept" at the prompt.  On the window that will open, click the link to "Replace Google account credentials" and follow the instructions.

Making progress! Thank you!!!!! I had downloaded and updated with what I THOUGHT was the latest fw, but the one you had there was different. I was able to get GV configured and even added back in my anveo configuration. Can make outgoing calls no problem.  But I cannot receive calls on obi.  I was not prompted to re-authenticate the device. What am I missing?

UPDATE: FIXED. I went into GV and Google Chat was checked, but I clicked "edit" and the "name" was Google Talk. I changed to Google Chat and voila. Phone's ringing.

SteveInWA

Quote from: midnightinparis on June 18, 2016, 01:20:37 PM
Quote from: LTN1 on June 18, 2016, 12:01:31 PM

Making progress! Thank you!!!!! I had downloaded and updated with what I THOUGHT was the latest fw, but the one you had there was different. I was able to get GV configured and even added back in my anveo configuration. Can make outgoing calls no problem.  But I cannot receive calls on obi.  I was not prompted to re-authenticate the device. What am I missing?

UPDATE: FIXED. I went into GV and Google Chat was checked, but I clicked "edit" and the "name" was Google Talk. I changed to Google Chat and voila. Phone's ringing.

Changing the descriptive name from "Talk" to "Chat" had nothing to do with fixing the problem.  That's the same as changing the descriptive name of a forwarding telephone from "Bob" to "Bill".  Whatever else you did was the solution.