News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changed Google Voice Password, can't configure Obi

Started by foiltravis, December 23, 2015, 12:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnightinparis

Quote from: SteveInWA on June 18, 2016, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: midnightinparis on June 18, 2016, 01:20:37 PM
Quote from: LTN1 on June 18, 2016, 12:01:31 PM
Quote from: midnightinparis on June 18, 2016, 11:17:47 AM
I have the same problem. I've got Obi110 using 1.3.0 build 2872.  I updated the fw per the instructions in this thread. Deleted device, added it back. I've authenticated the obi. Stuck in a loop now. Try to add Google Voice but it keeps going back to dashboard. SP1 and SP2 say "not configured" with a gear symbol to right.  Click on it and next page is "approved providers" so I click on Google Voice and now back to dashboard.

I also have tried a factory reset on the obi and been through all of this again. No I'm back to the upgraded firmware and still the above. It's maddening.

I DO have my google voice open in the browser. One thing I'm wondering about is that there is a "hangout" option on left of voice page. I DO have the Google Chat box checked, but I'm wondering if something in my google voice settings are prohibiting the connection with obitalk.

Don't assume that you have done it properly. Use the following instructions by SteveInWA and do it again to the letter:

• Download and save the .fw file from this link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw
  • Although the filename includes "OBi110", it is also valid for OBi100 devices.
  • Pick up the phone attached to your OBi and dial ***1 and write down the IP address that it reads to you.
  • Open a web browser to that address.
  • Click System Management-->Device Update-->Firmware Update-->Select file to update firmware.
  • Browse to the file you downloaded and select it.
  • Click the "Update" button.
  • You may need to re-authorize your device to use your Google account after this procedure.  To do that, first, be sure that you are logged into the correct Google/Gmail account that holds your Google Voice number.  Then, open another web browser tab, and log into to the OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device, then click on the Service Provider (SP1 or SP2) that is using Google Voice.  Click "Accept" at the prompt.  On the window that will open, click the link to "Replace Google account credentials" and follow the instructions.

Making progress! Thank you!!!!! I had downloaded and updated with what I THOUGHT was the latest fw, but the one you had there was different. I was able to get GV configured and even added back in my anveo configuration. Can make outgoing calls no problem.  But I cannot receive calls on obi.  I was not prompted to re-authenticate the device. What am I missing?

UPDATE: FIXED. I went into GV and Google Chat was checked, but I clicked "edit" and the "name" was Google Talk. I changed to Google Chat and voila. Phone's ringing.

Changing the descriptive name from "Talk" to "Chat" had nothing to do with fixing the problem.  That's the same as changing the descriptive name of a forwarding telephone from "Bob" to "Bill".  Whatever else you did was the solution.

Well, that's when it finally started working!  At this point, I just know never to change my google pw again unless absolutely necessary. Thanks for all the advice!

SteveInWA

Actually, you should make it a practice to change your passwords periodically, and, where available, to use two-factor authentication (via text message to a cell phone, or using some other method).

The fact that changing your password triggered the overall mess with your OBi doesn't mean that you will have the same experience next time.  At most, all you will need to do is to log into your Google Voice account in your browser, log into OBiTALK in another browser tab, click on your Google Voice SP on OBiTALK, and re-authorize it.

HateNettalk

Hi Steve:

I changed my Google Voice Password today and forgot that it would mess up my OBI 100.  I can't or receive calls now.  I tried to find out how to update the password on OBI, but it will not let me.  I started following your steps to try to download firmware but the OBI IP Address will not take the login information, "admin" "admin".  Any suggestions?  OBI is my only business and home phone.

Thanks,

Susan

SteveInWA

Quote from: HateNettalk on September 19, 2016, 08:16:25 AM
Hi Steve:

I changed my Google Voice Password today and forgot that it would mess up my OBI 100.  I can't or receive calls now.  I tried to find out how to update the password on OBI, but it will not let me.  I started following your steps to try to download firmware but the OBI IP Address will not take the login information, "admin" "admin".  Any suggestions?  OBI is my only business and home phone.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Susan:

Can you log into the OBiTALK web portal:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev and see your OBi 100 there?  If so, you can click the device on that page, and it will take you to a page that shows its web page password.

If you don't remember the OBiTALK web site password, or you can't see your device on the portal, then the best thing to do is to factory reset the OBi device (return it to the factory-default settings), and start over.  To do that, pick up the phone attached to the OBi, and key in ***8, then 1, to confirm.  Wait long enough for all the OBI's LEDs to stop blinking, except some flickering of the middle (Internet service) LED.

Then, follow my instructions here to upgrade the device and then set up Google Voice again.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11384.0

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460