News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice not forwarding to Anveo number after a month...

Started by primerisk, December 25, 2015, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primerisk

I have been setup with an Obi and GV for a few years ago and for over a year moved my end-point service over to Anveo to get E911 and CNAM.  This has been working flawlessly, so decided I'd help my folks get off of the Ma Bell treadmill.  I setup GV and ported in thier number about 6 weeks ago.  The porting completed on Nov 13th.  I setup everything just like my setup and everything worked like a champ until the morning of Dec 24th.  Suddenly, with no changes made in the account, GV will no longer forward to the Anveo endpoint.  It works fine with their cell and with Hangouts, but no more forwarding to Anveo.  Looking at the logs in Anveo, the calls arent' even attempting to get there.

Here's what I've tried with no luck:

1) Checked the Ring schedule in GV settings; changed the ring schedule and back
2) Deleted the Anveo phone and then re-added it (phone rang fine for the re-verification)
3) Checked Anveo logs:  I can see the reverifcation call from the 202 area code and direct calls to the number, anytime I call the GV number there is NO log entry (if the number was blocked, it would still show up in the log)
4) Successfully called out, checked VM, etc. on the Anveo SP
5) Toggled the check box on and off for the various forward phones
6) Successfully called directly to the Anveo number
7) Rebooted OBi/checked for updates

The only thing that looks different in the account is the temporary GV number that was issued before the port completed is now gone.  Calling the temporary number produces a not in service reply.

Any ideas?

SteveInWA

Hi:

Good job troubleshooting; you've covered everything I can think of.  Just to be clear:

Call their ported-in GV phone number from a phone number that is not on their list of forwarding phones.  What happens, exactly?  Do the Hangouts and cell phone destinations ring, but the Anveo destination doesn't ring?  In other words, can you confirm that every inbound call to their GV number does, in fact, show up in their GV history log, and does, in fact, ring their other forwarding phones, but the Anveo number never rings on these calls?

You comment about "the temporary GV number" sounds strange; there is no such thing.  If you had first selected a phone number from Google's pool of numbers, is that what you meant?  If that was the case, then, after the port, both numbers would still appear on the account for 90 days, unless you manually deleted the GV-issued number.

Please take a screenshot of this page:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones, black out all personal information, except leave the last 4 digits of all phone numbers exposed, and click the "Additional Options" link here in the forum to attach it to your reply.

primerisk

Hi SteveInWA,

Yes, if I call the ported in GV phone number from a phone not on the list of forwarding phones the Cell and Hangouts ring and can be successfully answered. 

Yes, we had initially selected a number from Google's pool and that is what I referenced as a temporary number.  I agree, it should have remained in the GV account for 90 days after the port in, but it is gone and I did not delete it myself.  So that is an anomaly and I'm not sure why this happened.

In addition, I have tried the following features
- I can use the voice.google.com page to initiate a call on the Anveo line.
- I can call into GV from the Anveo line (via my ATA) and use option 2 to call out as my GV number

Screenshot of requested page is attached.

SteveInWA

Thanks for the screenshot!  It looks correct; I dunno what happened with regard to your other GV number.  It is probably a "red herring" as far as this issue is concerned, though, since your other forwarding destinations do work. 

The only other thing I can think of, that might have resulted in the missing number situation is, if you accidentally created say, Google Voice account #1, with that GV-issued number, but then ported the folks' POTS number to a different GV account.  It is surprisingly easy to make this mistake, since Google allows multiple accounts to be logged into one browser.  Anyhow...

Go back to the same settings page, where you took the screenshot.  Click the "Groups & Circles" tab.  Click the "Edit" button under "All Contacts", and toggle the setting back and forth to "Ring default phones", even if it is already set that way.  Click the "Save" button.  Edit every other row, and set them to "Ring All Contacts" phones, again, saving every row's settings.  If you want to set up a choice for special callers, like not ringing on calls from annoying cousin Wilbur, then you can do that.

Test inbound calling again.

primerisk

Ok, I've toggled every call group as you mentioned, but no change in behavior.  As for the port-in and old number, I know it was the same account as I did see the old number there after the port-in was completed with the note that I could pay to keep it.

Now I'm focusing on the Anveo number itself. 

Scenario 1)  If I call the Anveo number directly from my cellphone (not associated in any way with this GV account) the call connects as expected and shows up in the Anveo logs. 

Scenario 2) If I call the Anveo number directly from my cellphone using my GV number to connect (again not connected to this GV account in any way), the call will not connect and will just ring and ring until the message "No response, timed out" appears on my cell.  My GV account logs the outbound call, the Anveo account shows nothing.

Scenario 3) If I call the Anveo number with my CID blocked (*67xxx-xxx-xxxx) the call connects and shows up in the Anveo logs as an anonymous call.

Scenario 4) If I call the GV number directly from my cellphone the Anveo end point never rings, doesn't show up in the Anveo logs and GV voicemail picks up after 6-7 rings.

Scenario 5) If I call the GV number directly from my cellphone with my CNAM blocked (*67xxx-xxx-xxxx) the call connects and shows up in the Anveo logs as an anonymous call, but won't start ringing until about the time GV voicemail picks up (delay syndrome)

Scenario 6) If I call the GV number with my cellphone using my GV number with my CNAM blocked (*67xxx-xxx-xxxx) the call connects and shows up in the Anveo logs as an anonymous call, but won't start ringing until about the time GV voicemail picks up (delay syndrome)

It appears that there is an issue with calls being forwarded from GV to Anveo if the CNAM info is being passed. 

SteveInWA

You'll have to take that up with Anveo, then.

Or, get a free inbound number from Callcentric, instead.  CNAM is included, and you can add E911 for $1.50/month.  A bit more expensive, but trivially-so, and worth it for the better customer service.

primerisk

It's like you're reading my mind...  I signed up for a free NY DID number and paid for the E911 setup.  I've added it and verified the number in GV and everything, including the CNAM is working like a charm...  I'm really sorry I paid for a year of service with Anveo.  What a PITA.

primerisk

SteveInWA,
    Thank you very much for your help to try and diagnose what was going on here.  I appreciate it very much!

SteveInWA

Heh heh about the mind-reading!  My pleasure.

I used to include Anveo in my list of suggested service providers, but the past year's worth of problems has made them not worth the effort.  Glad to hear that you're up and running now.

primerisk

Yup...  Got my folks up and running... at least my own service at home with Anveo isn't FUBAR  :)  That said, when I come up for renewal, I'll transfer over to callcentric.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 26, 2015, 07:23:17 PM

I used to include Anveo in my list of suggested service providers, but the past year's worth of problems has made them not worth the effort.

Which is unfortunate since Anveo is a very reliable provider but I do agree with you. It seems like more people have more problems with Anveo than most other providers.

I've used a free Anveo account for the last few years (as a backup route only) and it has been rock solid.

primerisk

Quote from: Taoman on December 27, 2015, 07:50:45 AM

Which is unfortunate since Anveo is a very reliable provider but I do agree with you. It seems like more people have more problems with Anveo than most other providers.

I've used a free Anveo account for the last few years (as a backup route only) and it has been rock solid.

The problem with this particular failure is you may not know that it is going on.  Unless you use GV and notice that calls are ringing on you cell and not on the Anveo line, you could just be missing the calls altogether.  We first noticed the issue a few days ago, but it could have been going on longer.  I haven't taken the time to look back further in the logs between GV and Anveo to see.  The reality is that the service has been borked for at least 4 days now and calls still aren't coming in and they've received dozens over the holiday weekend.

If you are just using the Anveo service directly you'd never know if calls were being lost as there is no log to show you and unless someone tells you they can't get through to you, you'd never know.