News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 and retro clear light up phone, not lighting up.

Started by smishgibson, December 27, 2015, 02:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smishgibson

I purchased an obi200 and an old retro phone like the one in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyxek51WVCU

If I connect it to a standard copper landline, it will lightup when it rings, however with the obitalk, it only rings, the lights do not work.  any ideas of what I could change in the setup?

SteveInWA

Using a spare phone cord, clip off the connector on the end, strip the insulation, and then put the bare red and green wires on your tongue.  When the line rings, you will see all sorts of lights.

If you don't want to try that, then log into your OBiTALK portal page, click on your OBi device to get to its configuration page, scroll down to the bottom, and click the "OBi Expert Configuration" button.  Get past the "are you sure" warning, then click the redundant "Enter OBi Expert" button.  Find and click on the "Physical Interfaces" --> "Phone 1" link.  On the web page that now displays, find the "Ring Voltage" value.  Remove the check mark to the right, in both the OBiTALK Settings and Default boxes.  Now, change the value from the default of 70V to 82V.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and click the Submit button.  Wait for your OBi to reboot in a couple of minutes.

See if that helps turn on the lights in the phone.

smishgibson

I really appreciate the humor!

Anyone have any further suggestions?

Changing the voltage to 82v did not work.  I swapped out the obitalk, and the retro phone, no go, still not working.  I'm thinking this thing just can't push enough voltage.  Really hoping someone else has an idea?

Thanks!

drgeoff

Those are Neons, not LEDs, in the video.  Typical striking voltage is about 90 volts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_lamp

dircom

Ring voltage on Pots lines typically is 90VAC, 20 Hz

smishgibson

So the obitalk maxes out at 82v, is there any way to increase this output? I'm not afraid of a little soldering. :-) I have done many voltmods on PC motherboards for overclocking.

If not, do you all know a VOIP box that supports 90+ volts that can be used with a free VOIP service?

SteveInWA

Quote from: smishgibson on January 16, 2016, 02:14:14 PM
So the obitalk maxes out at 82v, is there any way to increase this output? I'm not afraid of a little soldering. :-) I have done many voltmods on PC motherboards for overclocking.

If not, do you all know a VOIP box that supports 90+ volts that can be used with a free VOIP service?

Heh heh, neon lamps -- old skool.  I didn't notice that; thanks, drgeoff.

For gawd's sake, no, do not try to modify the OBi!  The ring circuitry is in an integrated circuit and not user-modifiable.

If you want to solder something, then desolder the neon lamps from the phone's circuit boards, and replace them with LEDs, in series with 2.2K or 3.3K ohm resisters.  You must install the LEDs with the correct polarity, such that they are not illuminated when the phone is plugged in and on-hook, but not ringing.  In this configuration, they will light up when ringing.  If the LEDs are lit when not ringing, turn them around and install them the other way, or else this will interfere with the phone remaining in on-hook condition.  Note that LEDs have a longer and a shorter lead wire.  The longer wire is the anode (+).  If the wires have been trimmed, the flat edge of the LED plastic body is the cathode (-).

Disclaimers:  Disconnect all equipment from power before servicing.  I hereby disavow any responsibility for your actions, which may cause personal injury or damage to equipment.  Any magic smoke escaping from any device, or from any bodily orifice, is your problem.

drgeoff

The ringing voltage applied to the neons may be AC.  LEDs, even with a series resistor will not take kindly to around 70 volts being applied in the reverse direction.  If you are unable to confirm that it is not AC, I'd be inclined to add a bridge rectifier.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on January 19, 2016, 02:55:55 AM
The ringing voltage applied to the neons may be AC.  LEDs, even with a series resistor will not take kindly to around 70 volts being applied in the reverse direction.  If you are unable to confirm that it is not AC, I'd be inclined to add a bridge rectifier.

I don't have an oscilloscope handy to examine the ring waveform, so I have to accept that the specified 70V sinusoidal AC is correct.  I tested the circuit before posting.  I didn't ask the LED how kindly he felt he was being treated, but he did reliably light up during the several phone calls I sent to the phone, at the low current level I spec'd via the resistor.  Whether or not he'd eventually die from this vicious torture is uncertain.

A single 1N4001 rectifier diode (half-wave) in series with the LEDs would be the way to go.  It's important to not pass enough of the on-hook ~48VDC through the circuit, such that it would appear to the ATA be off-hook, causing failure to hang up a call.

unsmiley

I can't believe someone else has this problem!  I thought I was the only one using a cool light up phone! 

No, mine does not light up when ringing now that I switched to the OBI and GV  :(.  (And I am too lazy/inexperienced to try some of the solutions for that outlined here.) 

I have also noted the "retro" real-bell ringer on this phone does not ring nearly as loud as it did on a regular phone line.  I was wondering if you have the same problem.  My guess these (the neon light and ringer problems) are related due to relatively low voltage issues discussed above.