News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Request Help- Out of Waranty OBi202- To get it back to Google Voice

Started by acmeuser, January 08, 2016, 12:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acmeuser

DEVICE:
I have a OBi202 that the Expert Configuration reports as HardwareVersion 1.4 SoftwareVersion 3.0.1 (Build: 4350) firmware.  Warranty expired 03/2014.  I get no yellow triangles in ObiTalk. 

OBJECTIVE:
I have several existing GV phone numbers set-up in 2013, but used Vestalink for 2 years due to the "scare".  Time to go back to GV exclusively.

Unit works fine for my needs w/ current firmware, and reading the forum- recent firmware seems to lock out GV unless "fees" are paid.  Forum members indicate older firmware (but newer than mine) version 4581 do still allow GV configuration.

QUESTIONS:
Q1- Is my firmware recent enough to support GV service today?

Q2- If Q1 is NO-  I see no Update Firmware selection in the  Expert Configuration|System Mgmt|Device Admin  for Firmware update as discussed in the forum.  I assume my old firmware does not contain this feature, at least in this menu area. (T/F?) How would a 4581 firmware file be applied if needed?

Q3- If delete device is selected from ObiTalk, then flashed to factory setting via the push pin, then the OBi202 is re-registered in ObiTalk- will ObiTalk re-register at all, and will this force a Firmware upgrade

Q4- If Q3s answer is YES- So a Firmware update required, and pay the fee or "no GV for you" (forum indicates paying the fee doesn't always work either!) - then is there a Guide developed which explains choices to make in going through the Expert Settings sequentially to provision GV (and not deleting device from ObiTalk)?

Any help is appreciated.  -Jon

drgeoff

Download an updated firmware to your computer and then upload to your OBi.

See Option 3 at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

No payment needed for the upgrade or subsequent configuring for GV.

acmeuser

Thank you drgeoff !

With these straightforward directions - I am concluding the issues forum users had in Midyear 2015 was with the firmware released, and the successive releases fixed this.  Am I close to what happened here?

Are there any odd settings that need changing on the GV side?  The GV front number has worked 2 years forwarded to Vestalink.  With Vestalink terminated, I am assuming the GV number gets forwarded to Google Chat, as SteveInWA indicates in his tutorial.

Thanks everyone - this is how we keep tech within the people's control.

Jon

SteveInWA

Quote from: acmeuser on January 11, 2016, 12:56:49 PM
Thank you drgeoff !

With these straightforward directions - I am concluding the issues forum users had in Midyear 2015 was with the firmware released, and the successive releases fixed this.  Am I close to what happened here?

Are there any odd settings that need changing on the GV side?  The GV front number has worked 2 years forwarded to Vestalink.  With Vestalink terminated, I am assuming the GV number gets forwarded to Google Chat, as SteveInWA indicates in his tutorial.

Thanks everyone - this is how we keep tech within the people's control.

Jon

You're welcome, but your post is unclear.  Did you successfully upgrade the firmware, and then get Google Voice to work?  If so, that's all you need to do.  If not, please supply more details, so we can help you.

acmeuser

Easy as can be. 

For closure -- The 2015 issue raised in several posts, i.e., the "loop" you are stuck in that informs of a needed firmware update you just did, and shows a support fee when you are out of warranty -- Hey :D this is only a synchronization delay of ObiHai's back-end in recognizing your firmware update. 

Provisioning GV works fine after waiting 10-20 min or so.

-Jon