News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can not configure OBi110 to GV/Gmail - password?

Started by duanedoug, June 23, 2011, 01:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duanedoug

I have not been able to set up my Obi110 to use my GV/Gmail to call directly from my home phone. The problem seems to be that the OBi config page will not accept my 8 character google password, when I hit submit it reverts to 6 characters. Status shows Backing off (Os) authentication error. I am able to call from GV and from Gmail and the Obi echo test works fine. My Gmail login user name is actually my charter email address, but it made no difference if I used it or my Gmail email address on the config page. Where do I go from here.

Dav3yDark0

Have you made at least 1 call with the Gmail chat on your Gmail webpage?

Dave

jimates

Backing off definitely means incorrect password. I have an 8 digit password on all 3 of my Obi's and do not have a problem.

If you have multiple log in credential for your google account, the log in and password used for the Obi has to be the main one for the google account. Even though you can access your gmail with a secondary user name, you cannot use a secondary log in credential with the Obi.

If you have your own domain through Google Apps the credentials can be your own domain, but still the main one. If you do not have your own domain at Google, the credentials must be the xxxxxx@gmail.com log in.

duanedoug

This problem has been solved with the help of the awesome support team via email. On my first attempt to set it up, I misunderstood directions and thought that I needed to enter the user ID that I used to log into Gmail. Then I changed it to my Gmail, but, as I was typing I noticed that the old entry was just being added to. So I used the backspace key to erase, but it left 1 letter that I did not notice.
My confusion regarding the password was 2 fold. The first was that the device configuration page will always display 6 asterisks after you hit the submit. The second was that my password management program was not able to capture the password. I had never seen either of these behaviors when entering a password.