News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Post on DSLR: "Obihai disabled my device. Demanding $10 fee"

Started by Bogolisk, January 16, 2016, 10:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogolisk

Just saw this post on DSLR:
...it seems Obihai has disabled the local admin web server on my Obi100, so I cannot update manually.

On the ObiTalk portal I'm given this message:"...An important software update with enhanced security and ease of use features is required to maintain Google Voice service on this OBi device. To automatically upgrade this device using the OBiTALK portal as well as get access to Obihai's Premium Support help desk, a paid support plan is required."

Is there any truth to this?

drgeoff

Yes and no. What is written on the portal is absolutely true. What is written about OBihai disabling the local admin webserver is complete balderdash.

It is also possible to download the firmware to one's computer and use the local web GUI to upload that to the device.  Having done that one can (re)configure GV.  No payment required.

Full details can be had by searching these forums.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Bogolisk on January 16, 2016, 10:09:01 AM
Just saw this post on DSLR:
...it seems Obihai has disabled the local admin web server on my Obi100, so I cannot update manually.

On the ObiTalk portal I'm given this message:"...An important software update with enhanced security and ease of use features is required to maintain Google Voice service on this OBi device. To automatically upgrade this device using the OBiTALK portal as well as get access to Obihai's Premium Support help desk, a paid support plan is required."

That forum has got to be the most worthless collection of bitter, Angry White Men ever.  Find some company to complain about, make an ignorant, wildly incorrect claim, and then build a lynch mob around it.  Rant about how the Man is trying to deceive them, steal their money, and deny them their God-Given Right to something.  No wonder Trump has so many followers.

The issue has been thoroughly discussed here.  Facts:

• OBi products come with a one-year warranty, including one year of direct technical support via email or phone.
  • Customers can choose to purchase either another year of warranty, including tech support, or, any number of years of post-warranty tech support.  These purchases are optional, and do not affect the customer's ability to use their product.
  • Customers can continue to use the OBiTALK web portal as long as they like, for free.
  • Over time, some features unique to Obihai products, such as Google Voice, may require firmware updates to fix issues or adapt to new requirements.  Customers have two options to obtain firmware.  Purchase another year of paid support, and have Obihai push the updates, or the customer can download and install the firmware update themselves, for free.
  • The only thing customers give up if they don't pay the fee is 1:1 tech support.  The OBiTALK web portal remains available, assuming the customer has kept their device up-to-date on their own, and Obihai will never remotely disable a device...that is paranoid BS.
  • There is nothing sleazy or unusual about this; almost all consumer products have a limited-period warranty, with limited-period technical support.  Providing tech support is costly, and businesses are not charities; they can't afford to give away staff time for perpetual free support.

yorktown

warsurplus

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 16, 2016, 02:11:55 PM

That forum has got to be the most worthless collection of bitter, Angry White Men ever.  Find some company to complain about, make an ignorant, wildly incorrect claim, and then build a lynch mob around it.  Rant about how the Man is trying to deceive them, steal their money, and deny them their God-Given Right to something.  No wonder Trump has so many followers.

@SteveInWa, you forgot the "right to pizza delivery" in your response.  Great Post.  Thanks.