News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What to do when OBI won't configure Google Voice?

Started by flstanleyii, January 17, 2016, 05:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flstanleyii

I have an OBi200 with the Wifi adapter.  Installation went great, can call all the recommended *** numbers with no problem. However, for some reason it won't configure to my google voice account.   Any hints or clues as to what I'm missing or not doing properly?   Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

SteveInWA

At the very least, you could have explained in more detail the steps you took, and how/when it failed.   ??? >:( :'(

Read:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

flstanleyii

Sorry about that!  I had assumed a certain level of reasoning from my explanation would have forwarded to the reader the equipment was functioning properly towards connection, but configuration to Google Voice was where it failed.  As to a more detailed description for applied configuration steps, please see your reference.  Using this as a guide, each step was followed meticulously and confirmed before moving to the next. Upon completion, I still received the "service is not configured" message as a result.  Trying again, I once more confirmed all steps were complete and accurate and progressed as instructed, only this time included the added suggestion of refreshing the webpage per instructions.  The results were the same: "Service is not configured".

I have signed out of ObiTalk (3) three times and re-entered the site to try your steps again, only to experience the same failed results in each instance.  My first reaction was to simply return the equipment to Amazon and move on from there, but as the tangibles seem to be functioning properly, I would prefer not to give up quite yet as it would appear the difficulty stems from the communication protocol between OBi and Google Voice.  Are there any other remedies that can be applied to confirm this might be the case?  I noticed in your instructions concerning refreshing the web browser page that the status "should" change to "Connected".  What would be the next step when it doesn't?

Anyway, many thanks for your reply!  I really appreciate the effort in helping to solve this last-step dilemma and look forward to any future suggestions you may have to share.

cluckercreek

Have you unplugged the Obi for a few minutes then plug it back up? Sometimes it is the simple things.

flstanleyii

An excellent suggestion, cluckercreek!.... but unfortunately that didn't do it for me.  I even tried it twice with a longer interval between reboots, but still no progress.  The equipment seems to be functioning excellent on the surface. I have a steady dial tone and when using the *** numbers given, experience a land-line quality exchange.  As such, it looks like OBi and Google Voice simply aren't connecting properly to make Google Voice a service provider. I've checked and re-checked informational input on my end and everything is per instructions, so I have to conclude it's something between them.  Have you heard of any issues in that direction? 

azrobert

Try calling the echo test.
Dial: **9 222 222 222

If this doesn't work, try hard wiring your OBi200 to your router without the OBiWiFi.

SteveInWA

Well, you're the first person to ask about "should change to connected"  ;D 

If the OBi is communicating on the OBiTALK network (you can place a call to the echo test per Robert's post), and it has a green dot next to it on the OBiTALK web portal, vs. a grey dot, then I'd suggest that you next click the trash can icon next to the Google Voice configuration you added (SP1), and try again to add it.  Note the name of the Google account that appears when you get the pop-up window to confirm your permission to access your Google Chat service.  It's possible that you are accidentally logged into two or more different Google accounts at the same time, or you are simply logged into the wrong account (one that has never used Google Chat).

flstanleyii

Many thanks!

I tried the echo test as suggested and all came back loud and clear.  I also once again deleted Google Voice from SP1 and did a new install, double checking all the options were correct.  I have but one Google account, so no danger of selecting the wrong one and even went back to Google Voice to confirm the Google Chat button was active.  One thing I did notice this time around was the "chat" feature in gmail was turned off.  I've since turned it back on and did a re-try, but it didn't make any difference.  However, it did get me to thinking that perhaps there was another feature in Chat that may be blocking the protocol between OBi and Google Voice.  Is this a possibility?  If so, where should the Gmail Chat settings be to allow configuration?

In the meantime, thanks again for all your help and I look forward once again to your suggestions!

SteveInWA

Quote from: flstanleyii on January 18, 2016, 12:03:44 PM
Many thanks!

I tried the echo test as suggested and all came back loud and clear.  I also once again deleted Google Voice from SP1 and did a new install, double checking all the options were correct.  I have but one Google account, so no danger of selecting the wrong one and even went back to Google Voice to confirm the Google Chat button was active.  One thing I did notice this time around was the "chat" feature in gmail was turned off.  I've since turned it back on and did a re-try, but it didn't make any difference.  However, it did get me to thinking that perhaps there was another feature in Chat that may be blocking the protocol between OBi and Google Voice.  Is this a possibility?  If so, where should the Gmail Chat settings be to allow configuration?

In the meantime, thanks again for all your help and I look forward once again to your suggestions!

RE:  "chat feature in gmail was turned off".   That's not where you need to look.  Look here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

You need to have Chat displayed on that page, with a check mark next to it, and you need to have made at least one outbound call using Chat in Gmail, which would have popped up a Terms of Service agreement for you to approve.

flstanleyii

Thanks again, Steve!

I wrote a ticket to support and according to them, it's a firewall issue with the router preventing the configuration to complete  Since Wifi is included in the lease, I have no physical access to the router for a by-pass, so the suggestion was made to take the unit to a friend's house and use their router to complete the connection to Google Voice.  Once made, they said the OBi  unit would work fine once I brought it back to my current location.  Hopefully I can give that a try within the next few days, so wish me luck!

In the meantime, many thanks again for your, and everyone's, efforts in helping to solve the problem!  They were all very much appreciated!

Many thanks again,

Frank

SeedlessOne

Did you make the first call from Google Chat?  I came to your thread as I was having the same issue as you to the T.  That step to me seemed pointless in my mind (lol) so I skipped over that while I skimmed over the instructions posted.  Well what do you know, I made the one call using google chat, deleted the gvoice config from the obi portal and told it to reconfigure.  Almost instantly this time it worked!  Good luck. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: SeedlessOne on January 20, 2016, 04:49:42 PM
That step to me seemed pointless in my mind (lol) so I skipped over that while I skimmed over the instructions posted.

What is it about people who refuse to follow instructions?  "seemed pointless in my mind...".   The call is required to add the Chat service to your Google account, after you accept the Terms of Service.

flstanleyii

Just a follow-up...

It took awhile, but I finally made it to another router and connected the OBi200 directly by ethernet per tech support suggestion. I then re-configured GV and this time it connected just fine.  I was still a bit concerned as the router was 10 miles away and the home connection would be through WiFi, but upon my return, I plugged everything in and made a land line quality call. Excellent stuff! 

My thanks again for all the suggestions and I hope you keep up the good work!  It may not be expressed in every instance, but I'm sure it's very appreciated by everyone who visits this forum with problem in hand.

Frank