News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trying to add device and it wants a password

Started by Soulcommander, January 17, 2016, 08:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulcommander

Just setting up the Obi 202 for the first time. I got a google voice number and now went to add the device...It confirmed the serial number and mac address as well as my Obi device number and it is asking for me to enter a password...It states this: Your device is secured by password. You will need to verify the password before the device can be added to this account.
Please input the admin password and confirm:

So I did not know what password it wanted so I put in admin for a password...But it just keeps timing out. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!!

SteveInWA

Where did you get this 202?  Did you buy it new, from Amazon, Newegg, Fry's, or some other authorized dealer, or used off of eBay, Craigslist, etc?  The prompt you are seeing means that the device is registered to some other OBi account.

Soulcommander

I purchased it from Amazon. After working with this for about 4 hours maybe 8 lol I clicked on the gear icon that's located on the OB dashboard and I finally got it added through that way. It look brand new when I got the box, do you know of anyway to get into the device I found out by doing ***4 it then gave me the IP address but from there I tried logging into it through a web browser on my computer and it did not work. Do I need to plug my computer directly into the LAN port on the 202 device? And if so am I able to find out what the password is that way?

LTN1

From your postings, I would advise you to configure everything through the OBiTalk dashboard by entering expert mode. As a matter of fact, I advise you not to touch anything if your device is currently working.

You can use your IP address and directly entering your local device's dashboard (after enabling WAN) but you have a greater chance of messing up your configuration that way. If you say that you have lots of experience as an IT professional, then I would really advise you leave the device alone if it is working. Sometimes, the worst OBi users are those who claim to be professionals.

To enable WAN for local access (which I do not advise based on your difficulties thus far), see: http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

SteveInWA

So many idiots; so little time.

The default user ID and password are admin/admin.  If you got that prompt, then you caused it yourself.  If it took you "4, maybe 8" hours to figure it out, then return the device for a refund and get one of these:

http://goo.gl/Ir0096

Soulcommander

G Steve thanks for the welcome to the forums greeting. And thanks for answering my questions too. You're such a help on the forums I really appreciate you.

LTN1

I'm going to further respond to this thread in the event someone actually does a quick search about passwords on the OBi devices in the future. In the event you bypass Steve's default password answer (which is hard to do but it unfortunately happens to some brains), a quick Google of "OBi default password" will easily provide some links to the default password within seconds and perhaps another few minutes to read those links.

Should that fail, no need to spend a day on figuring out a changed password (assuming the password was changed due to inadvertence or by someone else returning the item), do a simple paperclip factory reset by pushing the button at the bottom of the device (while keeping the power plugged in) so the device can be reset to the default configuration and passwords. This process will take less than 5 minutes.

Better yet...rather than playing around with default passwords and trying to get into the OBi dashboard locally, just use your Google account and password to enter the online OBiTalk dashboard. Configuration there will be much simpler and there will be less chances of a user making a mistake. Less chances doesn't mean no chance since there are those who defy the law of reason and somehow find a way to make the simple become extremely complex. Let's hope it's not you if you are reading this in the future.