News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

The more I read, the more confused I am!

Started by flinchlock, January 18, 2016, 09:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flinchlock

I have an OBi200 (all setups via OBiTalk Dashboard, no expert stuff):

-SP1 Registered: Callcentric (OUT: Pay per Call + IN: Pay Per Minute + E911)

-SP2 Registered: Simon's Google Voice Gateway (SIP username/password/server, SIP URI blank)

-SP3 Connected: Google Voice

-SP4 not used

Notes:

The OBi200 feeds a Panasonic KX-TGD220 (DECT6.0 with 4 handsets)

-SP2 GV Your number: (269) 222-2222 (Gmail is using Chat)

-SP3 GV Your number: (269) 333-3333 (Gmail is using Chat)

---------

Here is what I would like to have work (CNAM is really no big deal to me).

-SP1 CC no changes (I really like how it works with the Phone Book, Call Treatments, and Voice Mail.)

-SP2 Receive incoming calls on SP1, use same voice mail box Ext 100, **2 to dial out.

-SP3 Receive incoming calls on SP1, use same voice mail box Ext 100, **3 to dial out.

I have no need/want for GV to send me emails/texts or voice mail... CC does all that for me now.  If no answer on SP2 & SP3, go to CC voice mail just like SP1.

I really have no clue how the GV > Settings > Phones > Forwards settings should be setup for SP2 & SP3.

THANKS!

azrobert

In Callcentric setup extension 101
Setup a call treatment to route all 1777xxxxxxx101 calls to VM

OBi200

Service Providers -> ITSP A Profile SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked
Voice Services -> SP2/3 Service -> CallForwardOnBusyEnable: Checked
Voice Services -> SP2/3 Service -> CallForwardOnBusyNumber:
sp1(1777xxxxxxx101@in.callcentric.com)
Voice Services -> SP2/3 Service -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable: Checked
Voice Services -> SP2/3 Service -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber:
sp1(1777xxxxxxx101@in.callcentric.com)
Voice Services -> SP2/3 Service -> CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount: 4
Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port -> CallWaitingEnable: unchecked

flinchlock

What about the GV > Settings > Phones > Forwards? Forward to a DID? Use CHAT? Use Email?

Before I break something, do I do something with Auto-Provisioning or whatever it is called?

Do your changes allow SP2 & SP3 to behave just like SP1... "Send calls to voicemail after: 25 seconds"?

THANKS!

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on January 18, 2016, 09:58:24 AM

Setup a call treatment to route all 1777xxxxxxx101 calls to VM

Have you actually done this? I'm much more familiar with VoIP.ms routing but after a cursory look at Callcentric call treatments I can't figure out a way to route directly to voicemail. There must be a way but I'm just not seeing it.

Also, since these are GV lines early media will be ignored. My experience with GV and CC call treatments has not been good since most of them use early media.

flinchlock

I am guessing...

Call Treatments > Right-side
   Call coming from Caller ID > This number: :xxx-yyy-zzzz

Call Treatments > Left-side
   Redirect call to > Voice mail: Ext100

I "assume" when I add Ext101, it will show up above.

Mike

UPDATE1: Looks like when I add the extension 101, there is a option to sent it to which voice mail box.

UPDATE2: https://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Early_Media

Taoman

Quote from: flinchlock on January 18, 2016, 10:48:02 AM
Call Treatments > Left-side
   Redirect call to > Voice mail: Ext100

Ok, figured out why I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I don't even have voicemail enabled on my CC line. Since I only forward to it from GV I use GV voicemail and have never had a need to use CC voicemail.

Never mind.  :D

flinchlock

Hmm, I may have a problem??

When I add the CC 101 extension, I have to chose Caller ID to send... it only lists my SP1 number and my CC 1-777 number.

The Help box for Caller ID to send says...
QuoteYou can choose which phone number will be sent out to people you call in the Caller ID if:

You have multiple DIDs provisioned to your Callentric Account

or

You have completed our Third-Party Caller ID Number Verification Process

Mike

azrobert

Here's a happy customer:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10817.msg71255#msg71255

I don't know if he is using CC VM with GV and POTS or just POTS.
I have never used this method with GV.

Edit:
I just tried this method with GV and it worked.

azrobert

Quote from: flinchlock on January 18, 2016, 11:01:33 AM
Hmm, I may have a problem??
When I add the CC 101 extension, I have to chose Caller ID to send... it only lists my SP1 number and my CC 1-777 number.

You won't be using this extension for outbound calls, so it doesn't matter which callerid you choose.

flinchlock

You said, "You won't be using this extension for outbound calls, so it doesn't matter which callerid you choose."

Duh!  :-[

SteveInWA

Indeed, you are very confused.

This entire discussion is predicated on a bogus setup, and thus, you are getting bad advice.

Why are you using both Simonics gateway and Google Voice at the same time?  Pick one and use it for both Google Voice accounts.

Using just GV and CC (not Simonics, which offers no value), you can forward either or both of your two GV accounts to inbound CC phone numbers, and simply provision those CC numbers on your OBi.

CC works fine forwarding from GV.  The problems Taoman mentioned were fixed long ago.

flinchlock

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 18, 2016, 03:34:47 PM
Indeed, you are very confused.

This entire discussion is predicated on a bogus setup, and thus, you are getting bad advice.
Fair enough.

QuoteWhy are you using both Simonics gateway and Google Voice at the same time?  Pick one and use it for both Google Voice accounts.
Only so I can play/learn stuff.  Maybe it will just cause me to post more newbie questions.  Maybe I better rethink that idea.  :-[

QuoteUsing just GV and CC (not Simonics, which offers no value), you can forward either or both of your two GV accounts to inbound CC phone numbers, and simply provision those CC numbers on your OBi.

CC works fine forwarding from GV.  The problems Taoman mentioned were fixed long ago.
Forwarding them to my one and only CC number will that have them work just like SP1 CC... "Send calls to voicemail after: 25 seconds"?
Provision them on OBi allows me to **2 and **3... right?

Mike

SteveInWA

I'd say, step back and look at the big picture of what you need, telephony-wise, rather than getting lost in the nit-level configuration details.  Then, you can easily configure things accordingly.  For example, how many inbound telephone numbers do you need, and how many different destinations do you want those inbound calls to ring to?  For example, do you want to give out your two different GV numbers and/or a CC number, and have them all ring to one phone port, with your cordless phone plugged in?  Or, do you only need one or two of those inbound numbers? 

After deciding that, then we can come up with the simplest and most reliable solution.

You mentioned that you like Callcentric's features, including its voicemail.   Google Voice is not designed to simply be a free telephone line; its own voicemail system is integral to the service and cannot be disabled.  So, if you want to standardize on CC VM, then that's an important factor in designing your configuration.  If you attempt to forward GV to CC, but configure it to grab the voicemail messages, it's possible that some messages may still end up on GV's VM, depending on your configuration.  In that scenario, you'd only use GV for outbound calls (since, for example, calls to most US and Canadian numbers are free), and use CC for inbound.

On the other hand, if you are just using GV for fun/experimenting/spare lines, then you can just leave those GV accounts separate from your CC number.

I give out one Google Voice phone number to my contacts.  That one number forwards to a CC DID, configured on multiple OBi and other VoIP products, via CC extensions.  Unanswered calls go to GV VM.  I also have a couple of other CC DIDs that used to be my POTS home phone number and office number, and those ring to the same destination phones, via CC "Call Treatment" rules.  I can call outbound with any of those numbers as caller ID.

flinchlock

Lots to think about... I'll get back to you.

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 18, 2016, 04:48:01 PMI give out one Google Voice phone number to my contacts.
Is "Contacts" family/friends/business/banks/school-closings/doctors/...... ?

QuoteThat one number forwards to a CC DID, configured on multiple OBi and other VoIP products, via CC extensions.
Hmm, forwards and configured are different things in my newbie mind.  Or by configured do mean you can **whatever for outgoing on any of your OBi's?

QuoteI also have a couple of other CC DIDs that used to be my POTS home phone number and office number, and those ring to the same destination phones, via CC "Call Treatment" rules.  I can call outbound with any of those numbers as caller ID.
"I can call outbound with any of those numbers as caller ID", because they are CC DIDs and not GV numbers. Correct?

Mike

SteveInWA

Quote from: flinchlock on January 18, 2016, 05:38:39 PM
Lots to think about... I'll get back to you.

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 18, 2016, 04:48:01 PMI give out one Google Voice phone number to my contacts.
Is "Contacts" family/friends/business/banks/school-closings/doctors/...... ?

Yes, for the most part.  That's the whole point of Google Voice:  one number that you give out, and nobody needs to know/remember whatever numbers you may have.  My GV # forwards to a couple of different mobile phones, plus a CC DID number.  The DID number rings the calls on my VoIP devices, because it is provisioned/configured (that is, the DID's SIP user ID and password are set up on the device as a service provider).  By "for the most part", I mean, that like you, I have some other CC DIDs that are legacy numbers (old home and office numbers) and I sometimes give those out to certain people instead of my GV number... for example, to some business that I'd rather not give my personal number.

QuoteThat one number forwards to a CC DID, configured on multiple OBi and other VoIP products, via CC extensions.
Hmm, forwards and configured are different things in my newbie mind.  Or by configured do mean you can **whatever for outgoing on any of your OBi's?

Google Voice's Settings page, Phones tab, allows you to configure (set up) up to six different forwarding destinations.  When someone calls your GV number, it will forward the call to every forwarding destination at once ("simulring").  One of those destinations can be Google Chat, which can be configured (set up) on your OBi to ring directly, or you can instead add a telephone number (your CC DID) to the GV forwarding phones list, and then configure that DID number on the OBi, so that calls to your GV number will forward to your CC number, which will ring on your OBi.

QuoteI also have a couple of other CC DIDs that used to be my POTS home phone number and office number, and those ring to the same destination phones, via CC "Call Treatment" rules.  I can call outbound with any of those numbers as caller ID.
"I can call outbound with any of those numbers as caller ID", because they are CC DIDs and not GV numbers. Correct?

Correct.  However, you can also configure Google Chat as one of your four SPs on your OBi, and make outbound calls from that SP, which will show your GV phone number as caller ID.

flinchlock

Quote<snip> or you can instead add a telephone number (your CC DID) to the GV forwarding phones list, and then configure that DID number on the OBi, so that calls to your GV number will forward to your CC number, which will ring on your OBi.

"and" ???

Isn't forwarding and configure OBi the same thing?

Mike

SteveInWA

Quote from: flinchlock on January 18, 2016, 06:55:01 PM
Quote<snip> or you can instead add a telephone number (your CC DID) to the GV forwarding phones list, and then configure that DID number on the OBi, so that calls to your GV number will forward to your CC number, which will ring on your OBi.

"and" ???

Isn't forwarding and configure OBi the same thing?

Mike

No.

Step 1:  Pick a phone number.  In this case, it's a Callcentric phone number (DID).
Step 2:  Add that number as a forwarding destination to your Google Voice account, on the Google Voice Settings page.
Step 3:  Configure one of your OBi's four Service Provider slots (SP1 -- SP4) to register to your CC DID for inbound (and outbound if you choose to use it) calling.

Now:  when someone calls your Google Voice phone number, Google Voice forwards the call to your CC DID number.  Since that number is configured (set up, registered, whatever you want to call it) on your OBi, the phone you have plugged into the OBi will ring.

SteveInWA

Here is a screenshot of a sample Google Voice account.  See that it is currently set up to forward to Google Chat.  I configured an OBi to use that GV number as SP1.  Notice that the GV number also forwards to a cell phone.  I could also add a Callcentric DID by clicking on the "Add another phone" link, put a check mark in the box to the left, and remove the check mark to the left of Google Chat.  I could then configure that CC DID on say, SP2 of the OBi, but leave SP1 as the default for outbound calls.

Now, when I pick up the phone and make a call, it goes out over Google Chat on SP1, showing my GV caller ID to the called party.  When someone calls my GV number, it gets forwarded to the CC number, which rings on the OBi via SP2.

flinchlock

I think I starting to have a better clue.  :D

I am an old *nix admin and just last year moved from a "stupid" Tracfone to a "feature" Tracfone.  :o

I still have trouble with "...forward to Google Chat."  Does the check mark on "Forwards calls to Google chat" just turnoff/turnon XMPP to the OBi?

Mike

SteveInWA

Quote from: flinchlock on January 21, 2016, 04:46:06 PM
I think I starting to have a better clue.  :D

I am an old *nix admin and just last year moved from a "stupid" Tracfone to a "feature" Tracfone.  :o

I still have trouble with "...forward to Google Chat."  Does the check mark on "Forwards calls to Google chat" just turnoff/turnon XMPP to the OBi?

Mike

Yes.

I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend, for a former sysadmin.  Google Voice phone numbers are "virtual" inbound phone numbers.  They must be forwarded somewhere.  You can have up to six different forwarding destinations; five PSTN telephone numbers, plus Google Chat.  The OBi devices act like Google Chat clients.  When you use an OBi with GV, you are forwarding the calls to Chat, and the OBi's built-in Chat client is answering the calls.

This is a different concept than configuring a SIP VoIP telephone number (DID number) on the OBi.  In this case, the SIP number is a direct phone number that people can call.  The OBi is a SIP client or "user agent" in this case, directly logged into the SIP server of the service provider.  When someone calls a SIP number, it will ring directly on the OBi.  In this case, no forwarding is involved.