News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phonepower...no more $35/yr plan?

Started by brianSC, January 24, 2016, 07:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianSC

Hello all, I was looking at service providers and am no longer seeing the limited 300 outgoing minutes per month/$35 per year plan with Phone Power.  All I see now is the the $60 per year unlimited plan.  Has this topic been discussed already?  I did a search and came up with nothing.

Taoman

Quote from: brianSC on January 24, 2016, 07:27:52 AM
Hello all, I was looking at service providers and am no longer seeing the limited 300 outgoing minutes per month/$35 per year plan with Phone Power.  All I see now is the the $60 per year unlimited plan.  Has this topic been discussed already?  I did a search and came up with nothing.

Sure enough, it appears the PhonePower OBi "Lite" plan is no longer available. That is unfortunate as it was a good fit for light users.
I wonder if they will allow subscribers currently on that plan to renew? They said they would in the past.

cluckercreek

I signed up for the $35 a couple of weeks ago. I noticed in my setup it stated the plan was NOT eligible for renewal.

ceg3

That's a shame, not renewing.  I get why people would want the lite, but maybe they are thinking for not too much more you can get unlimited.  I have unlimited.  Let us hope they don't have plans for that, too.  If you ported and the lite plan goes away that would really suck if you didn't want to upgrade to unlimited.  The unlimited rate comes to 4.99 per month, which is quite a bit cheaper than signing up and getting their device, even if you prepay.

SteveInWA

At some point, the fixed costs of supplying a service are simply not profitable when charging such a low rate.  It's not just the cost of the trunks; there's all the other costs of running a business.  $60/year is only $5/month, for unlimited phone service, and that's a great price, compared to the competition (competition defined as superior quality service providers, not the fly-by-night guys).

dircom

Wow, the price bar has really got out of whack, People complaining they can't get $3 a month phone service and their choice with the same provider is $5 a month.

To keep things in perspective, the taxes on a regular land line are usually more than $5 a month.

flinchlock

$5 per month???

http://www.phonepower.com/usa_canada_calling_plans.aspx
"USA/Canada Unlimited Calling Plans    $8.33 Monthly Average"

12 * $8.33 = $99.96

Really $162.17???

Mike

SteveInWA

Quote from: flinchlock on January 24, 2016, 05:21:29 PM
$5 per month???

http://www.phonepower.com/usa_canada_calling_plans.aspx
"USA/Canada Unlimited Calling Plans    $8.33 Monthly Average"

12 * $8.33 = $99.96

Really $162.17???

Mike

The $60/year plan is offered through Obihai's partnership with Phonepower:

https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/services/itsp?i=phonepower

flinchlock

OK... another time this old *nix admin was confused!

At least I hope I make people laugh.  :D :D

Mike

SteveInWA

No problem; much of this is not intuitive to new users.  However, here's your "punishment"...

flinchlock

brianSC

So, my 2 years of service with Vestalink is coming to a close.  I paid them $90 for 2 years of "unlimited" back during the scramble to replace the supposed end of Google voice.  Vestalink has worked like a champ, but nearly doubled their rate for my pending renewal, so I cancelled my renewal and came across Phone Power.  Since their cheaper lite plan was no longer available, I bought the 59.95 yearly plan, was assigned a temporary number, and had my new service provisioned/configured the next day and was trying out calls on my SP2 slot of my Obi200 within minutes. 

On the sign-up page they mentioned an offer to port in my phone number and that they have "no hidden fees", etc.   So with my temporary new number up and running, I then logged into my Phonepower account and filled out the port request to bring my number over from Vestalink.  To my surprise, when I clicked the final button to finish the port request, a dialogue box popped up to inform me that I would be charged a one-time $15 port fee!  That just happens to be 25% of the whole year of service!  I stopped right there and requested a refund for the 59.95.  I cannot trust a company who basically lies to me to get me to buy their service so they can stick it to me for more $ after the purchase.

I emailed my customer service rep at Vestalink and he agreed to match their 59.95/yr if I renew, so I will just stay with them.  At least they told me up front 2 years ago that their price would go up at renewal.

RFC3261

Quote from: brianSC on April 16, 2016, 07:13:46 AM

On the sign-up page they mentioned an offer to port in my phone number and that they have "no hidden fees", etc.   So with my temporary new number up and running, I then logged into my Phonepower account and filled out the port request to bring my number over from Vestalink.  To my surprise, when I clicked the final button to finish the port request, a dialogue box popped up to inform me that I would be charged a one-time $15 port fee!  That just happens to be 25% of the whole year of service!  I stopped right there and requested a refund for the 59.95.  I cannot trust a company who basically lies to me to get me to buy their service so they can stick it to me for more $ after the purchase.

While I agree the entire pricing process should be clearer (for pretty much all vendors), and you should not need to spend hours digging into all the minutia, they do state in their wiki at http://www.phonepower.com/wiki/FAQ-Getting_Started

Is there an additional cost for me to transfer (port) over my number?

There are no additional costs when porting over a number at the start of service.

Note: If you start service with a new number and later wish to transfer your existing number over to us, a $15 Number Change fee will be applied to the order.

So (apparently) you should not have started with a temporary new number...

brianSC

Not possible.  On the signup page there was no option to port my number in.  I called them because of this, and they said I would have to first choose a temporary number when I sign up, then once my account was created (takes 24 hrs, btw), then I could go in and request to port in my number in.  Never was there mention of a considerable fee.

I posted this not because $15 is a lot of money, but because it bothered me that they don't tell you the cost up front. Saying "No hidden fees" and then trying to slip in an overpriced porting fee, is a shady business tactic at best.

brianSC

Another family member experienced the same thing back in December, about having to choose a new temporary number when signing up, and then having to start a port request the next day.  He was able to choose the Phonepower  "Obi Lite" plan at that time, however, and was NOT charged a porting fee.

LTN1

That was what I understood when I considered signing up with PhonePower last year.

Just out of interests, I am on a chat with a PhonePower rep by the name of Matthew S. asking a basic question of whether we get a temporary number until we can port. Though it took him 5 minutes to answer, he said that you get a temporary number regardless if you port or don't port. Of course, if you don't port, you keep that number...which isn't really temporary anymore.

My guess is that you got bamboozled by the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

SteveInWA

Number porting involves the service provider interacting with their underlying CLEC (licensed/regulated telephone carrier), and with NPAC to perform the work necessary to move over the number.  These companies aren't charities; they're businesses with fixed costs.  The porting fees aren't meant to be a significant revenue stream, and there's no intent to be deceptive about the fee; they're simply cost-recovery fees.  I've seen some carriers charge as much as $35 to port in a land line number.  Google charges $20 to do this, and I can tell you that it is a headache for them, when users don't submit the exact identifying data that the losing carrier expects to see to release the number.  This is a "good thing", as it is designed to limit "slamming", or unauthorized porting.

Sometimes, some service providers make a business decision to not charge users to perform a port, as a marketing inducement to get the user's ongoing business.  Other SPs may try to compete on the lowest monthly cost, and so they keep service add/change fees separate.  This is the same approach taken by the "big four" mobile phone carriers, who, in a competitive slug-fest, will port in your number for free, pay off your contract, give you a phone, and give you an hour with a hooker (well, maybe not that, but you never know what John Legere will say next).

There is a small community of Angry White Men over on DSLReports who love to whine incessantly about this company or that company who is being evil by not disclosing something, or charging for something that they think ought to be free.  None of these AWM have likely ever run a successful, profitable, legitmate business.  People who obsess over this stuff are welcome to join their discussions if desired.

brianSC

Wow Steve, (Hero Member and Beta Tester!) I'm not angry or white here, just sharing my experience so others know what to expect ::) 

So, to follow up, I did receive a full refund, no questions asked, along with a polite email from customer service.  In an email communication from the General Manager of Phone Power, he did mention that due to constraints that the Obitalk portal put on their ordering process, every new customer initially takes a new number, at least temporarily.  He did mention that to port a number without paying the fee, I could call the customer service dept, and that they were not supposed to charge the port-in fee to Obitalk customers.  Like I said, $15 is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, but really, how hard would it be to mention that cost to potential new customers?  And of course anyone with common sense knows that companies are not in business to lose money or become a charity.  And, I did willingly pay a one-time Google port-in fee a few years ago.  But to their credit, they told me ahead of time what it would cost, so I knew what my startup cost would be to try out Google Voice.