News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV interrupts before phone voicemail picks up?

Started by Chris.GNV, January 24, 2016, 03:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris.GNV

I have GV inbound through Callcentric. My desk phone with a built in answering device is plugged directly into my Obi200. The phone rings fine but, if not answered, GV interrupts with the voicemail message before the answering device does.

I know it's old school but I prefer the old hardware, at least for now. The answering system is set on Tollsaver. It used to pick up after 4 rings if there was no previous message, or 2 rings if there is a message. Now, GV interrupts immediately after the 4th ring and the desk phone doesn't have a chance.

Is there any way to set GV to ring a little longer so the desk phone takes the message, rather than GV? I can set the desk phone to answer on 3 rings but that's faster than I can get to the phone to look at the caller ID.

I still like GV to take calls for numbers/groups that I direct to immediate voicemail. I may also adopt GV as my primary message system but I'm not ready for that, yet. There are too many other changes going on in my life to do that right now.

Thanks

N7AS

GV VoiceMail picks up in 25 seconds. There is no way to change it. You would have to set your phone answering machine to pick up in less than 25 seconds. For some 4 rings are sufficient, but if that is not enough, try 6 rings.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

drgeoff

This is just an idea.  I have not tried it myself.

The OBi ring patterns are user programmable.  So if you modify each burst to be shorter you should be able to get more rings in a given period of time.

ceg3

Of course, you have tried to reduce the number of rings before your phone system goes to its voicemail.  It's just a matter of timing.  I have used stand-alone voicemail boxes in recently memory and 4 rings puts it very close to the point GV takes the call, while 2 rings means you have to either race to get to a call call or only change to 2 rings when you leave the house.