News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice and OBI

Started by vlsi99xx, January 29, 2016, 06:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vlsi99xx

Google indicates that if you don't make a call or text your phone can be reclaimed. I setup obi working with google voice. Does this mean that google will not longer try to reclaim my number or do I have to do anything within google voice to keep my number activated?

thanks

SteveInWA

As long as you are using the account on your OBi device to make or receive calls regularly, then your number won't be reclaimed.   If you are concerned about this, then monitor the Gmail account associated with your Google Voice number.  If Google plans to reclaim your number, they'll give you ample warning via email, and you can then simply make or receive some calls.

vlsi99xx

Does receiving calls count or only outgoing calls ?
Do you the minimum usage a call a week a month or?
thank you

SteveInWA

Receiving inbound calls, or placing outbound calls, both qualify.

Once a month would qualify.

However:  consider that phone numbers cost Google money to lease from their carrier.  The overall goal is:  make numbers available to people who want to use them, not for people who don't use them.  Use it or lose it.  How hard can that be?

vlsi99xx

Sorry about the dumb questions but it is my first time using GV and OBI. I read that GV was setup as a forwarding service. I am using the number without a phone service just OBI connected to my land line in the house. I just wonder if the usage of OBI without a real phone service or without a forwarding number is agaisnt GV terms.

thanks again

SteveInWA

Those are good points. 

It's true, that Google Voice is intended to be used as a call forwarding service, to enhance some other, existing phone service, and not as a standalone phone service.  GV originally only forwarded calls to other telephone numbers.  Later, forwarding to Google Chat was added, and that is what OBi devices use to receive GV calls, on the OBi's built-in Chat client.  Outbound calls are also made via Chat, not GV.

Previously, it was required to maintain a working forwarding phone number on a GV account.  When Google introduced Hangouts, it dropped the requirement to maintain a forwarding phone number.  Now, calls made to your GV account, which are forwarded either to an OBi via Chat, or to Hangouts, are sufficient to keep a GV number active.

However, there are many benefits to using the service as designed and intended.  By adding a forwarding phone, you can remotely manage voicemail messages and text messages, change voicemail greetings, and, of course, receive forwarded calls on the go.  If none of that is of interest to you, then you may be better served by an account with a SIP VoIP service provider offering simple telephone service.