News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will google voice forward the call to my mobile

Started by BrianTalk, February 03, 2016, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTalk

Hey, if my ObiTalk and my Andriod phone are bound to the same Google account with the same phone number. My mobile also has the Google Hang out dialer installed.
Will somebody call this phone number ring both ObiTalk phone and my mobile? Or, if nobody picks up the ObiTalk phone, will the call be forwarded to my mobile?
I do not want the call to be forwarded to my mobile. If nobody picks up the ObiTalk, I prefer him to go to the Voice mail stage.
I am considering using a same Google account for both my mobile and the ObiTalk phone or different accounts for this issue.

SteveInWA

Come on -- that is the most basic concept in all of Google Voice.  Do some reading.  Yes, that's how it works.  A Google Voice number can forward to any combination of one to six different forwarding destinations.  Five of them can be 10-digit telephone numbers, plus Google Chat, which is now only used for OBi devices, which act as chat clients.  It's your choice (via settings on the Google Voice web page) as to whether or not any or all of those destinations ring or don't ring, controlled by check marks next to each destination.  All destinations ring simultaneously, not sequentially.

You can also set up groups of contacts, or even individual contacts, and control which phones will or won't ring when a call comes in from that number.

Hangouts operates independently of Chat/OBi.  Whether or not Hangouts rings is controlled by a setting on the Hangouts clients for computer web browsers, phones or tablets.

Here is the Google Voice Help Center.  It is organized in to bite-sized how-to topic chunks, written in 7th-grade English, that almost anyone can understand:

https://support.google.com/voice/#topic=1707989