News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 GV end of call detection

Started by rayg, February 09, 2016, 10:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayg

it seems that i'm having issues with recognizing and end of call.  is there a particular line setting that i should use to correct this issue? 

SteveInWA

Your post is too vague.  More details, please.  Are you in the USA?  What is the scenario, in more detail?  Are you using the service as designed, "plain vanilla", or are you trying to do something unusual?

rayg

yes, USA. I just connected last night with new Google Voice service and was testing for dial tone.  When hanging up I waited a few seconds to test a call and pressed 'talk', you can hear the fast tone busy signal and the line goes silent. This is reminiscent of the old analog phone days when you just picked up the phone to dial but leave off the hook and then you'll hear that signal.  To get the dial tone back, I have to disconnect the phone line feed from the obi202 box.  I read somewhere that there may be adjustments needed to the line setup to accommodate andend of call setting but wasn't sure if this was the actual cause.  much appreciate the help.

SteveInWA

Thanks for the additional details.  This isn't a common problem, so that's why I asked.  Before trying to futz with any advanced settings, this sounds like your telephone may be defective (it may have a low impedance on-hook, resulting in just enough current flowing to cause the OBi to think it's still off-hook).  Also, if you have connected the phone line to your premise's telephone wiring, be sure that the service to the external telephone company has been completely disconnected at the demarcation box (not just shut off by the telco, but the wires removed from the terminals).  I'd suggest trying a different telephone, plugged directly into the OBi, and see what happens.

rayg

No wonder you are a Hero member!  Once you were talking about impedance I recalled that my girls had another cordless phone base connected upstairs.  I disconnected it so now the one remaining base works.  Do you see a method to really have a two separate based phones working (two different phone bases working simultaneously)?  I had this working previously (verizon fios) since I could never find a phone downstairs..lol...My old cordless ATT was upstairs and my newer Panasonic was downstairs.
Thanks for your suggestions...

SteveInWA

So:  you are plugging the OBi into your home's telephone wiring, and then plugging the two cordless phone base stations into telephone wall jacks?  Did you confirm that the telephone company's wires are physically removed from the terminal block entering your house?  This is crucial.

If so, then you can troubleshoot which of the two cordless phone systems is defective.  In theory, an OBi should be able to support up to five different telephones or cordless phone bases plugged into the wiring.  Either you have a house wiring problem, or one of the two bases is out of spec or defective.  Try plugging each of the bases into the OBi directly, one at a time, and see if one of them is causing the problem.  If so, it belongs in the trash.

The best solution would be to buy a new DECT 6.0 cordless phone system with one base and as many handsets as you need.  You'd then plug that one base into the OBi and be done with it.  Panasonic makes the broadest range of models, and they have proven to be very reliable.