News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Advice needed, I do not have a forwarding phone.

Started by JimmyJ, February 14, 2016, 08:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyJ

Hello I have tried multiple times to install my OBi200 with Google Voice and have been unsuccessful thus far. I get to the "Configure Voice Service Providers (SP)" page and it configures forever. So I went back to square one and I am not sure what to do here; http://www.obihai.com/tutorial5. I had a Comcast VoIP phone but I got rid of it and so I do not have another phone so I am not sure what to do. Please give me some advice. I did successfully set up a phone number with Google Voice.

thank you

zorlac

Quote from: JimmyJ on February 14, 2016, 08:45:18 AM
I had a Comcast VoIP phone but I got rid of it and so I do not have another phone so I am not sure what to do.
Please give me some advice. I did successfully set up a phone number with Google Voice.
Do you have access to somebody's cell phone? GV sends a one time confirmation code to a phone that you must answer to get the code. Could they call a friend and then the friend could email you the code?

LTN1

Hello I have tried multiple times to install my OBi200 with Google Voice and have been unsuccessful thus far. I get to the "Configure Voice Service Providers (SP)" page and it configures forever. So I went back to square one and I am not sure what to do here; http://www.obihai.com/tutorial5. I had a Comcast VoIP phone but I got rid of it and so I do not have another phone so I am not sure what to do. Please give me some advice. I did successfully set up a phone number with Google Voice.

thank you

I know it may be tedious, but you haven't provided enough information for many of us to help. For example, when you say "tried multiple times"--is that in the span of a few hours, one day, a few days, etc.? The reason being is that the ObiTalk web site may not be reliable on weekends from time to time.

Here's what I suggest...assuming you really want substantive help. Take time and detail everything you have done from opening and verifying your GV account to how you sign into the ObiTalk site (do you use your Google ID or a non Google e-mail). Be detailed and do some screen captures of your problem, OBi and GV account pages (of course you can blacken out personal information) and attach them to this thread. The more detail you can provide, even when you don't think it is important, the easier it will be for the many volunteer experts here to respond.

JimmyJ

Quote from: LTN1 on February 14, 2016, 02:59:38 PM

thank you

I know it may be tedious, but you haven't provided enough information for many of us to help. For example, when you say "tried multiple times"--is that in the span of a few hours, one day, a few days, etc.? The reason being is that the ObiTalk web site may not be reliable on weekends from time to time.

Here's what I suggest...assuming you really want substantive help. Take time and detail everything you have done from opening and verifying your GV account to how you sign into the ObiTalk site (do you use your Google ID or a non Google e-mail). Be detailed and do some screen captures of your problem, OBi and GV account pages (of course you can blacken out personal information) and attach them to this thread. The more detail you can provide, even when you don't think it is important, the easier it will be for the many volunteer experts here to respond.

I came here to post that I was going to go to Best Buy and buy a cheap no contract cell phone just to get my OBi200 and Google Voice set up but after reading your^ post LTN1 I think I will go over everything again a few more times as best as I am capable of and I will follow your advice LTN1!

(BTW, I am a 45 year old loner with almost no family or friends. I recently came across the OBi200 and Google Voice on Amazon.com and purchased the OBi200 then I cancelled my Comcast triple play (cable TV, Internet, VoiP phone service.) and basically cut my bill down by ~$55 bucks ;D so that is nice being that I do not have a whole lot of money coming in. Since I don't have much family or friends I don't have much need for a phone, but (sadly) I do need one! :P I had a cell phone back in the late 90's and I dropped it in 2006 and said I would never get another one. I'd love to just not have a phone at all but there are a few small matters that have to be attended to. I am pretty sure I need less than an ~hour a month of phone time.)

LTN1

Quote from: JimmyJ on February 14, 2016, 10:41:47 PM

(BTW, I am a 45 year old loner with almost no family or friends. I recently came across the OBi200 and Google Voice on Amazon.com and purchased the OBi200 then I cancelled my Comcast triple play (cable TV, Internet, VoiP phone service.) and basically cut my bill down by ~$55 bucks ;D so that is nice being that I do not have a whole lot of money coming in. Since I don't have much family or friends I don't have much need for a phone, but (sadly) I do need one! :P I had a cell phone back in the late 90's and I dropped it in 2006 and said I would never get another one. I'd love to just not have a phone at all but there are a few small matters that have to be attended to. I am pretty sure I need less than an ~hour a month of phone time.)

Can't help you with your personal issues but as for the OBi...review SteveInWA's detailed instructions as you go over what you did till this point: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

My preliminary questions are: How long ago did you set up your GV account? Did you originally use your Comcast phone service number as the forwarding number to sign up to GV?

As you go through Steve's detailed instructions, be detailed in your steps and focus on the proper activation of the Google Chat portion.

SteveInWA

You need a working (paid) telephone number to be eligible to sign up for Google Voice.

If you can't afford phone service, or you qualify due to disability or some other qualifying reason, you can get a free basic cell phone and 200 minutes of calling per month from the Lifeline telephone program.

JamesJay

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 15, 2016, 01:38:36 PM
You need a working (paid) telephone number to be eligible to sign up for Google Voice.

If you can't afford phone service, or you qualify due to disability or some other qualifying reason, you can get a free basic cell phone and 200 minutes of calling per month from the Lifeline telephone program.

Thanks Steve, I went to Best Buy yesterday and bought a no contract phone and some time for no contract use, its from AT&T and cost about ~$35 for the phone itself and $25 in time. I set up the .25 cents a min plan so I have 100 minutes and I already added it as a forwarding number in Google Voice.

I am stuck right here in your tutorial. vv
Quote from: SteveInWAImportant note regarding Chat:  Google Chrome Browser no longer supports Chat at all.  If you need to configure Chat, you must use another approved browser, such as Firefox, MSIE or Safari.
•If you do not see the Google Chat forwarding destination, then open another browser tab, log into Gmail, not GV, and use Google Chat, not Google Hangouts to make one outbound phone call.  This will restore Chat to your list of forwarding targets.

So I did not have a Gmail account so I signed up for one and now I cannot log in here at the forum under my first email which I was signing into Google with , I guess it has to do with the fact that Google put my Gmail in and I cannot change it back.  I am lost. :(
Anyhow I cannot figure out how to use Google Chat to make that one^ outbound phone call. I need to get Chat in my list of forwarding targets. Please help, I will be standing by for awhile.  thanks

JamesJay

Oh and I am running Google Chrome in Windows 10 so as per your instructions I have started using the one that came with Windows, I guess its Internet Explorer. So getting used to Explorer has been a total pain in the butt!!

SteveInWA

Well, it doesn't matter which account you use to post here in the forum, and I see that you figured that out.

I tried to be as detailed as possible in my instructions, without driving people crazy.

You need to have a Google account.  It doesn't matter which one you use, but it is very important that you keep track of which one you do use, and write down the user ID and password.  Google will will not help you find it later, if you lose it.

OBi devices emulate (act as) Google Chat clients.  So, your Google Voice account needs to have Chat enabled.  The way to do that is to (temporarily) use MS Internet Explorer, in your case.  You need to download and install the Google voice and video plugin:  https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin

Per my detailed instructions, you need to make one outbound call on your computer, using Chat.  This will enable Chat for that Google account.

SteveInWA

Once you have made that one phone call, you no longer need to use MS IE, and you can go back to using Chrome Browser.

SteveInWA

Yah, well, click "Allow", and then make a call.

JimmyJ

I clicked it and the button seems to be dead. I will try again. I'm on Internet Explorer 11

SteveInWA

Open Gmail.

Look on the left side of the page, for your Chat "avatar".  It's a blue-ish head and shoulders.  Click on it to make a phone call.  A 10-keypad should pop up.  Just call any number, one time.  It can be the local library or grocery store; it doesn't matter.

SteveInWA

Are you using a laptop that has a built-in microphone and speakers, or is this a desktop PC without a mic and speakers?

If your computer has a mic and speakers, then click on the gear icon at the top of the Gmail page (NOT the gear icon above that, which is for your web browser), to get to Gmail's settings.  Go to the Chat tab, and set up your audio devices (mic and speakers).

JamesJay

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 16, 2016, 04:13:11 PM
Are you using a laptop that has a built-in microphone and speakers, or is this a desktop PC without a mic and speakers?

If your computer has a mic and speakers, then click on the gear icon at the top of the Gmail page (NOT the gear icon above that, which is for your web browser), to get to Gmail's settings.  Go to the Chat tab, and set up your audio devices (mic and speakers).

I am on my desktop that has speakers but no mic so I will log onto my laptop and see what I get there....

JamesJay

..........But now I am exhausted and I need a break and my dog needs a walk so I gotta call it quits for today Steve. I really appreciate your help and patience! I will check my laptop for a mic later and if it does not have one then I will see if I can maybe plug something else in my computer and make it think I have a mic or something to that effect. :p  Thanks again Steve and have a nice evening!

JamesJay

Success!!

Last night I got on my laptop and was able to get Chat set up and SP1 is now connected! I made several outgoing phone calls. :D  Only problem is when I call my Google Voice number on another phone a lady answers and asks me to enter my pin followed by the pound sign. What is going on here?

Taoman

Quote from: JamesJay on February 17, 2016, 10:08:30 AM
What is going on here?

The default settings for a cell phone being used as a Google Voice forwarding number is to go straight to GV voicemail when calling your GV number from that phone. If you wish to change that behavior:

Google Voice>Settings>Edit (cell phone)>Show advanced settings>Voicemail access

Select "No" and save your settings.

JamesJay

Quote from: Taoman on February 17, 2016, 10:59:08 AM
Quote from: JamesJay on February 17, 2016, 10:08:30 AM
What is going on here?

The default settings for a cell phone being used as a Google Voice forwarding number is to go straight to GV voicemail when calling your GV number from that phone. If you wish to change that behavior:

Google Voice>Settings>Edit (cell phone)>Show advanced settings>Voicemail access

Select "No" and save your settings.

Got it thanks!

Now when I call it the Google phone does not ring and after a bunch of rings it goes to voicemail.  I have played around with the settings but nothing is working.

JamesJay

I had a friend call my Google number as well and the phone itself is not ringing and after ~20 rings it goes to voicemail...I checked the ringtone and volume on the phone and it works just fine.