News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Time Warner phone connection

Started by Grotman, February 17, 2016, 02:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grotman

So I have an OBi100 happily running Google voice.  Recently I purchased an OBi200 for possible other use but haven't yet connected it.  Turns out, I had to change over my ISP and I now have Time Warner who provided a single modem for Internet, TV and Telephone.  I would like to throw out this all-in-one device and replace it with my own devices.  The Internet and TV are no problem.  The telephone presents a different dynamic altogether.

My question is: Would it be possible to hook up the OBi200 to the TW telephone system via the Internet connection.  If anyone has done this, or knows how to do it, I would appreciate any help and advice on how to go about setting this up.  Thanks.

SteveInWA

Hi:

Short answer, no.

Longer answer:  The cable companies use their own, managed IP networks and equipment to provide VoIP.  You can't use your own ATA (like an OBi) with their telephone service; you have to use their combo modem/router/ATA.

Depending on the economics of switching from a triple-play to a double-play (without TWC telephone service), you could discontinue their telephone service, and get service from some other provider (a SIP VoIP provider like Callcentric, PhonePower or voip.ms, for example).  You'd buy your own (Surfboard) cable modem and a router of your choice, and plug the OBi into the router.

I have a friend in Hawaii who did just this, with my help, and TWC was cooperative in providing a lower price.  Here in WA, I tried this with a friend on Comcast, and, true to their incredibly evil nature, Comcast refused to un-bundle the telephone service -- they wouldn't give my friend a double-play price lower than the triple-play!  So, price out the difference before you leap.

Grotman

Steve,

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.  Fully explains the situation.

Unfortunately(?), I have just switched to TWC (from U-Verse who raised their prices to unacceptable levels).  I signed up for a really good special offer on a triple play.  I didn't need the phone either since I have Vonage that I have been using for more than 10 years (very early adopter). On reviewing TW's phone rates, I see that they can be quite a bit lower than Vonage given that we make many International calls to different countries and Vonage can't be beat for the quality (that comes at a price).  But all good things often may and do come to an end.

I tried to get TW to switch me from this special triple play to a double play and guess what.....? They wanted $55 more per month!!!  After asking them what planet they lived on and who designs their business models, I just kept the triple play plan - for now anyway.  The day will come when all these companies will regret their past avarice.

My plan is to cancel their modem rental and purchase my own cable modem and wi-fi router.  I hear tell that they allow you to keep their combo modem to run the telephone only and you pay no rental for it (go figure!).  Only have to use a co-ax splitter to link the two modems.  Don't know what impact this will have on upload and download speeds or on the quality of the phone service.  Hopefully, will be able to play with QoS and some other settings and see what happens.

Will also investigate other phone service providers for the OBi and see what they come up with. If it was only up to me, I'd cut the cord and just have HS Internet and do my own thing for the rest (TV, phone, etc.). But.......

Thanks again for the help.  Much appreciated.  Hope this helps others too.

ceg3

The free modem for telephony, with the use of a splitter if you have a customer owned modem for Internet service is a common setup at TWC.  I've never had this setup, but from what I hear the splitter doesn't impact your bandwidth.  The phone service at TWC can begin really cheap, at 10.00 a month for 12 months, but taxes and fees will add a few dollars.  I imagine you can negotiate to keep that rate after the first year, but of course there is no guarantee.  I do think they have excellent phone service, having had the service years ago, and you should be able to get good support for the phone service if you have issues.

dircom

I have Time Warner internet at a summer home.  (and occasionally Time Warner TV)
I use my own modem, router and obi
It all works fine
In NY TWC offers DBL and Triple bundles, Sometimes a triple bundle is less expensive than a DBL bundle YMMV.

TonyTib

Even though I don't like to do it, I'd recommend negotiating.  I know people here (Silicon valley) who keep their rates down on AT&T or Comcast by threatening to go to the other.  One even got a good deal on AT&T Dry Loop DSL (DSL only, no extras) by doing that.

BTW, from what I've heard, CenturyLink makes Comcast look good.

Lavarock7

A neighbor here in Hawaii has TWC branded "Oceanic TW". He had phone and internet with them. Because his VOIP from them wasn't working well they gave him what looks like a dictionary-sized voip box. I showed him how VOIP could cost him next to nothing.

When he went to the cable company and said he wanted t odrop their VOIP service and just have internet, they asked if he would keep the phone for $1 a month. He agreed, but as soon as they want more than $12 a year he is ready to jump ship. Yes, with Voip.Ms he would still pay $12 a year for the local number, but has now has multiple numbers and some routing on the calls that he likes.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

SteveInWA

Yah, I think that the cable companies are desperate to retain customers, and historically, the way they did that was to make it as difficult as possible to switch providers.  That meant selling triple play bundles, no matter how much the customer insisted they didn't want it.  Now that so many customers are either dumping land line service entirely and just using mobile phones, or using third-party VoIP, the cable companies are resorting to practically giving away their phone service, solely to keep the customer hooked on using that phone number, and thus continuing to make it less convenient (in the average customer's mind, not for us techies) to switch.

In this week's news, the FCC is considering new rules to make it easier for cable customers to buy their own set top boxes, and the cable industry is in full-blown lobbyist attack mode.  I suspect they spend more money on lobbyists than they do on providing phone service.

dircom

We keep getting ads to add phone service from Cox Cable for $10 a month.  Not a bad price, but it goes up to $30 or $40 after the term of the special. The cost of taxes alone are more than a lot of people pay for their service here at "obiland".
I like the freedom of managing my own phone service, the multitude of options. (and the cost)  :)

azrobert

We use Cox Cable for TV, Internet and phone service. The wife refuses to give up her landline. We just had a basic plan plus CallerID/CNAM and used it only for local calls. About a year ago Cox had a bundle offer I couldn't turn down. It included tripling my internet speed to about 170mbps, a bunch of premium movie channels, DVR service and nationwide phone service with every option. All this for $30/month LESS than I was previously paying with a 3 year price guarantee. They promised it won't go over my previous payment after the 3 years. We'll see how that goes. They are now offering an upgrade to their GigaBlast internet service for no extra charge. I plan to upgrade as soon as the service is available in my area. You should check out some of their bundle offers.

dircom

azrobert, I am guessing there is competition in your area?