News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 MaxSessions feature question

Started by TTCP, February 19, 2016, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTCP

Hi, can someone tell me what exactly this feaure in my OBI200 is all about?

Voice Services => SP1 Service => Calling Features => MaxSessions ( = 2 )

My OBI200 is connected to the whole house in-wall phone wiring system. If a person in Room A is using a phone in that room to make an outbound call or to receive an incoming call, say via SP1, then can a phone in Room B be used to make a new outbound call, independent of the active call session in Room A, either via SP1 or via SP2?

azrobert

The OBi200 has only one phone port, so a person in room B taking the phone off hook would join the existing call with person in room A.

Each simultaneous inbound or outbound call will use 1 session on a trunk. If you had an OBi202 or were using an IP phone or a softphone with your OBi200, you can only have 2 active calls on a single trunk with the default settings. If a person on an OBi202 phone port 1 had an outbound call on hold and answered an inbound call on the same trunk, they would be using 2 sessions. If a person on phone port 2 tried to make a call using the same trunk, it would fail. You would then need to increase MaxSessions to 3 or more to avoid this problem. Obviously, the service provider would have to support 3 simultaneous calls.

TTCP

Thanks for the quick reply.

So the MaxSessions feature has nothing to do with my question. The number of FXS port in an OBI unit actually is related to my question. Right?

Seems I may need to go for an OBI202. But I do not know why OBIHAI decided to put an (underpowered) router feature into OBI 202. A definitely useless, worthless, distracting and redundant feature. Even a $4.99 dedicated bare-bone hardware router will perform much much better than the OBI202 router function.

azrobert

azrobert

If you don't want to use your cell, you can find Android phones on sale for $10. You don't need a service plan.