News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Moving to Europe

Started by Laci, February 26, 2016, 08:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laci

I live in the US now, but I will move to Europe (Germany) for a year. I wonder if I can just take my OBI device with me, connect to the internet there, and keep using it with my US Google Voice number? If not, can I just find a SIP provider in Germany and configure the OBI to use that SIP provider? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
--Laci

SteveInWA

Hi Laci:

Short answer, yes, you can.  Longer answer:  Google Voice is a US-only service, which forwards to US-based phone numbers.  If you want to continue to manage your account, listen to voicemail messages from a forwarding phone, or use mobile text messaging, you'd need to have a US-based forwarding phone listed on the account.

If you don't periodically place or receive calls, or send or receive text messages using your Google Voice number, Google will reclaim it (take it back) as unused, so that it can be reissued to another active user.

You can certainly add (or switch to) a SIP VOIP service provider that offers service in Germany.  If you have an OBi 200 or 202, it can be configured with up to four different service proviers; OBi 100 or 110 products can use up to two providers.  You can shop among the service providers listed on Obihai's "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers" page, or do a web search for providers.

Laci

Hi Steve,

Let me see if I understand correctly: I plug in my OBI in Germany, connect a phone. Then I will continue to be able to dial, calling US/Canada numbers for free, other countries for whatever GV charges and whomever I call will see my GV number on ther caller ID. Similarly, people will be able to call me on my GV number and it will ring for me in Germany. For all practical purposes it'll appear I'm on a phone in the US. All I will lose is that on GV I'll have to turn off forwarding voice/text to a real phone in the US (as I won't be there). Am I correct? If so, that's great! :-)

Thanks,
--Laci

LTN1

Quote from: Laci on February 27, 2016, 07:59:01 AM
Hi Steve,

Let me see if I understand correctly: I plug in my OBI in Germany, connect a phone. Then I will continue to be able to dial, calling US/Canada numbers for free, other countries for whatever GV charges and whomever I call will see my GV number on ther caller ID. Similarly, people will be able to call me on my GV number and it will ring for me in Germany. For all practical purposes it'll appear I'm on a phone in the US. All I will lose is that on GV I'll have to turn off forwarding voice/text to a real phone in the US (as I won't be there). Am I correct? If so, that's great! :-)

Thanks,
--Laci

I know you asked Steve...but the answer is yes--you are correct.

There are a number of countries with VoIP blocking but Germany isn't one of them from what I understand. Some people mess up their configuration but if you haven't touched a thing and allow the device to automatically configure things when you get to Germany...it should work like you asked. Just uncheck the your forwarding cell phone and you won't get calls forwarded when someone calls your GV number--only the OBi will ring.

nsne

I lived in Germany between roughly 2001 and 2010. VoIP was my primary means of telephony. In my case, I used a DrayTek router (with built-in VoIP functionality) and had GV forwarding to an IPKall DID. My friends could call Seattle at domestic rates and reach me in Germany.

I see no reason why you couldn't plug in the Obi and have it work exactly the same as it does in the US. In fact, you'll probably get even more use out of it there because you can use one of the Obi's additional SPs for Sipgate.de to get a German DID and affordable calling.

Come to think of it, my advice would be to set up Sipgate account and get a German DID before you go over (you might have to use a VPN—I recommend ZenMate—with a termination in Germany to sign up). It'll help with the transition and all the paperwork when you arrive.

Sheffield_Steve

Unless things have changed at Google, this will not work, as they will detect that you are on an overseas network and stop it. It's been a couple of years and I can't remember the message, but is did mention that I had to be in the USA.

The workaround is to use a VPN service (put it on your router) back to the USA.

Hi Steve,

Thanks,
--Laci

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on February 27, 2016, 10:18:32 AM
Unless things have changed at Google, this will not work, as they will detect that you are on an overseas network and stop it. It's been a couple of years and I can't remember the message, but is did mention that I had to be in the USA.

The workaround is to use a VPN service (put it on your router) back to the USA.

Hi Steve,

Thanks,
--Laci
Last time I used GV (yesterday) it was working fine for me here in the UK.

Sheffield_Steve

Are you using a VPN or a US proxy server then?

QuoteLast time I used GV (yesterday) it was working fine for me here in the UK.

SteveInWA

Google Voice phone calls will work in Germany, same as if you were in the USA.  Account configuration (porting, adding / removing numbers, etc) won't work, if Google detects that the location is outside the 48 US states.

Sheffield_Steve

Thanks, that's good to know that it now works..

I tried GV (Not via Obitalk) a few years ago and without a VPN the calls were intercepted and a Google message played to say it could not be used outside the US.

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 27, 2016, 02:15:34 PM
Google Voice phone calls will work in Germany, same as if you were in the USA.  Account configuration (porting, adding / removing numbers, etc) won't work, if Google detects that the location is outside the 48 US states.

drgeoff

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on February 27, 2016, 01:41:14 PM
Are you using a VPN or a US proxy server then?

QuoteLast time I used GV (yesterday) it was working fine for me here in the UK.
No.  My VDSL modem-router connects to the UK's largest ISP.  Google would have no doubt about what country my OBi is in if they looked.  I do have a US DID.

jammieR

Quote from: Laci on February 26, 2016, 08:14:12 PM
I live in the US now, but I will move to Europe (Germany) for a year. I wonder if I can just take my OBI device with me, connect to the internet there, and keep using it with my US Google Voice number? If not, can I just find a SIP provider in Germany and configure the OBI to use that SIP provider? Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
--Laci

If you are planning to move to Europe and want to watch movies and program broadcasting in US, you need the best UK vpn service in the market. I would advice you to go for a paid service rather than any free option available.
There are a number of vn providers selling 2 year plans, but go for the features rather than the discounts.
Best of luck ::)

drgeoff

Quote from: jammieR on August 23, 2017, 02:40:52 AM

Thanks,
--Laci

If you are planning to move to Europe and want to watch movies and program broadcasting in US, you need the best UK vpn service in the market. I would advice you to go for a paid service rather than any free option available.
There are a number of vn providers selling 2 year plans, but go for the features rather than the discounts.
@jammieR
Given the date of the original post in which Laci said he was going for a year, I expect your suggestion is no longer useful to him/her.

jammieR

Quote from: jammieR on August 23, 2017, 02:40:52 AM

Thanks,
--Laci

Yes you are right MOD.. I am sorry i posted my suggestions in this thread. What i thought was some one who is travelling to Europe will benefit from this comment. Plus i wanted to share my experience with others.  
My intentions were good and not to violate any of the forum rules.  :'(