News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Rings are silent from callee perspective

Started by HDSee, February 29, 2016, 06:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDSee

Hi there,
I've set up a handful of Obi100's and Obi202's in the past, mostly without issue.

I've recently set one up though, that points to two different voip.ms accounts (one for each phone port). It's working fine, however, when calling the numbers there is no ring. The time passes as it should (I have it set it voip.ms as 25s), then the voicemail greeting picks up, and the person can leave a voicemail. Also, the phones themselves on the receiving end are ringing fine. So the issue is that the person on the other end doesn't really know it's ringing, unless someone picks it up or if voicemail comes on.

I've tried a few things but nothings helped. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the voip.ms account/server, as the same account has another DID running at another location with another Obi202 and it's working fine. I'm wondering if it's just a faulty Obi device at this point.

Any help/hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

SteveInWA

This shouldn't have anything to do with your OBi.

The ringing indication (aka ringback tone) is sent back to the caller by the voip.ms system, not your OBi device.  Open a ticket with them.

HDSee

Very strange though. It's affect two different accounts, on one Obi device. One of those accounts (with same voip server settings as the location having the issue) in another environment on another obi device is working fine.

I'm wondering if the router is blocking the ringback tone somehow from being sent properly... I'll open a ticket with voip.ms in the meantime though.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

No, it has nothing whatsoever to do with any equipment on your end.  The ringback tone is NOT being generated by the OBi.  Voip.ms sends the calling party's telco back a "ringing" message when it is ringing your numbers.  That "ringing" message isn't coming from your OBi.  Think about it:  if your OBi is ringing, and you can answer the call, then it's working.

If you don't believe me, then download a softphone client, like Counterpath X-Lite or Zoiper, configure those DIDs on the softphone, unplug the OBi, and you'll see that it makes no difference.

SteveInWA

Oh, and "callee" is not the correct term, as it would imply the party being called.  The terms are "calling party" or "caller".  You would be the "called party" or "callee".

SteveInWA

If you are still convinced that your OBi is the issue, then do this, in order:

• Delete the OBi in question from your OBiTALK account dashboard.
  • Factory reset the OBi to remove any possible configuration errors.
  • Use the **5 procedure to add the OBi back to your dashboard.
  • Use the OBiTALK portal, not the local web page interface, to configure the voip.ms DIDs.  To do this, click one of the two SPn slots, scroll down to the bottom of the next page and select "OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers".  On the next page, select "voip.ms" and fill in the blanks and click "Save" to submit.

This should take you about 5 minutes, and is more reliable than futzing around with settings on the local interface.