News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Would really appreciate help

Started by Cory, March 04, 2016, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

Hi all.  Today I changed my modem/router because I had my internet provider (Cogeco) switch to a Tivo system.  It is installed and the internet works great but now the obi does not work.  I had an error on my phone saying "check telephone line" with no dial tone.  I tried rebooting the obi, then doing a hard reset.  I get a solid red light on the obi with no dial tone.  I went to the obi talk dashboard and deleted the obi thinking that reregistering it would fix the issue.  I still cannot get a dial tone when plugging in a landline telephone directly into the obi.  The wires to the modem and obi are secure.  I know the phone does work.  In fact, I tried 2 phones.  I cannot register the phone to obi talk because of the no dial tone issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Cory

I did that.  About 5 times.  I made sure to do exactly what the instructions said.  Still no dial tone.

SteveInWA

Well, you haven't provided us with enough useful information to help further.  What model OBi is it?  Are you saying that the left-most LED (the power LED) is solid red, not blinking, and won't get past that point, or what?

Cory

Sorry, I tried to be as descriptive as possible.  It is an obi 100.  The light on the left is a solid red.  The light in the middle blinks green once every couple seconds and there is no light on at all on the right.

Cory

I'm thinking that's a huge coincidence considering it was working fine and then all of the sudden once the new router/modem was put in, it stopped working immediately.

SteveInWA

Unplug the ethernet cable from the OBi.  Plug the power into the OBi.  If the red LED doesn't go out, it's dead...nothing to do with your internet connection.

Cory

I pulled the ethernet cable and the power cable. I held a paperclip in the rest button on the bottom while plugging in only the power cable.  It's now blinking red and green.

SteveInWA

So, back to the troubleshooter page.

Cory

How do I look at your router's DHCP client table, to find my IP address that OBi is currently using?

SteveInWA

Just pick up the phone plugged into the OBi, and press ***1.  Does the voice read back your IP address?

Cory

Like I said in the first post.  There is no dial tone.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Cory on March 04, 2016, 03:52:01 PM
How do I look at your router's DHCP client table, to find my IP address that OBi is currently using?

You'll have to figure that out on your own, by reading the router's documentation.  You need to log into the router, find the LAN section, look at the DHCP table, which will have a list of IP addresses matched to MAC addresses.  Look on the bottom of your OBi to find its MAC address, and see if it is listed in the DHCP table.  If it is, that means the OBi is un-dead enough to have been issued an IP address lease by the router.  If the MAC address isn't there, then hit the OBi with a hammer, and buy a new one.

Cory

OK.  I'll try that in the morning.  Going out now.  Thanks for your help.  Have a great weekend.

drgeoff

OBis give dial tone even with nothing connected to the ethernet jack.  If your's is not giving dial tone check the phone and the phone cord.  If one of those is not the problem, the OBi or its PSU is.

Cory

So I tried again to get the obi to work.  Now I think the reset button is broke and I'll have to get another one.  The light blinks red/green and no dial tone.  I cannot feel a reset button when I press with a paper clip in the reset hole like I used to. I'm now looking at getting another one.  Do I need to port my old number to the new one or will I (hopefully) just be able to plug it in  add it to the obi talk?  Also, I know I might get flack for this but instead of reading over a hundred pages in here, can someone suggest an obi model to go to or just stick with the one I have (obi 100)?  Thanks 

SteveInWA

It's Hammer Time!

Figure #1, not Figure #2.

Buy an OBi 200.  Better, newer-design hardware, more features, and more reliable.

Cory

Haha.  Thanks.  Do I need to port my old number to the new obi?

SteveInWA

OK, now you are going to get the lazy dope slap.

Delete the OBi 100 from your OBiTALK dashboard.  Buy an OBi 200.  Add the OBi 200 to your OBiTALK dashboard.  Configure your desired Google Voice and/or SIP accounts on the new OBi.  There is no "porting" involved.