News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Random Incoming Call - CID displays "asterisk"

Started by Loughary, June 28, 2011, 06:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loughary

Okay, not sure if this is a VOIP problem or my OBi but I've been receiving random incoming calls  that show up on my caller ID as "asterisk" it does not display a number.  I've checked the log of OBI and it displays the same "asterisk" without a incoming number. I logged into my VOIP account and it shows no history of the calls, that's whats making me think it is the OBI device.  It started on 06/27  I received incoming calls at these times 6:44:19, 16:35:58, 17:43:42 then today 06/28 at 5:01:37 and 6:32:05.  When I answer the phone there is nothing at the other end just silence. The calls this morning at 5am didn't make the wife real happy.

I recently updated to the latest firmware...so I'm going to downgrade to the last firmware to see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks.

Obitalk

This has been addressed by RonR and some other folks. But here is the quick fix.

You'll have to add this to the incoming VoiceService --> SP1 Service --> X_InboundCallRoute

Add the following string: {asterisk:},{(xxx):},{'asterisk':},{('asterisk'):}

So the actual string would look something like: {(x.4029997777):aa},{asterisk:},{(xxx):},{'asterisk':},{('asterisk'):},{ph}

This would also prevent calls from 3 digit numbers that the Obi sometime receives at odd times.

Thanks

Diana

Quote from: Obitalk on June 28, 2011, 07:19:23 AM
This has been addressed by RonR and some other folks. But here is the quick fix.

You'll have to add this to the incoming VoiceService --> SP1 Service --> X_InboundCallRoute

So the actual string would look something like: {(x.4029997777):aa},{asterisk:},{(xxx):},{'asterisk':},{('asterisk'):},{ph}

This would also prevent calls from 3 digit numbers that the Obi sometime receives at odd times.

Thanks

Shouldn't he be using "asterick" as oppose to "asterisk" or both?  Seems whomever is attempting to "break into" his system has change the word to "asterick" to defeat the block!  Unless of course the OP spelt the word incorrectly.....

Loughary

My bad it is ASTERISK not asterick...sorry I corrected my original post.

Loughary

Quote from: Obitalk on June 28, 2011, 07:19:23 AM

Thanks

I'm a little new to this...should I put the string just like below or am I editing anything based on my phone number and area code? Currently now under X_InboundCallRoute it has ph

{(x.4029997777):aa},{asterisk:},{(xxx):},{'asterisk':},{('asterisk'):},{ph}

Thanks for all the help.
Dennis

RonR

I've begun experiencing these calls also.  I believe they're a type of VoIP probe or scan from numerous low lifes all over the globe, trying to find a way to make calls at your expense.  I've had them from "sipvicious" in addition to "astrerisk".  I've not been having much success trying to block them at the InboundCallRoute level.  I've got an email into Obihai with a syslog showing the SIP exchanges, but I haven't heard back from them yet.  Hopefully, they're analyzing the syslog and will figure out why the blocking is not effective.  If I learn anything, I'll post the details.

Loughary

This sucks!!!  Last two nights I got the "asterisk" call at about 5am...I wish there was a way I could block all calls that come in with "asterisk" as the CID.

RonR

I haven't received a reply or even an acknowledgment from Obihai that they received my syslog and request for help on this issue.  The syslog captured the entire SIP exchange from the offender and should allow Obihai to determine why we're not able to block these calls.

Unfortunately, even if we figure out the proper X_InboundCallRoute syntax to block these calls, it will be offset by an existing bug in the OBi firmware that will simply forward these unwanted calls instead of block them if you ever activate Call Forwarding with *72.  Obihai has already informed me that they do not intend to fix this problem.

DaveSin

Quote from: Loughary on June 29, 2011, 08:17:36 AM
This sucks!!!  Last two nights I got the "asterisk" call at about 5am...I wish there was a way I could block all calls that come in with "asterisk" as the CID.

From my limited understanding, changing the default SIP Port from 5060 to say 5064 normally eliminate these types of attempts.  Is it permissible to change the SIP port from 5060 to something else on the OBi ATA?  Will break anything?

Loughary

Quote from: DaveSin on June 29, 2011, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: Loughary on June 29, 2011, 08:17:36 AM

From my limited understanding, changing the default SIP Port from 5060 to say 5064 normally eliminate these types of attempts.  Is it permissible to change the SIP port from 5060 to something else on the OBi ATA?  Will break anything?

I tried changing the SIP port via the OBi ATA and then my VOIP won't register...I sure hope something gets fixed because receiving random phone calls at all hours of the night sucks.

Northern.Bob

Try just changing these two settings in Voice Services>Sp1 and/or Sp2:

X_UserAgentPort (5060)

This port is the UDP port for tx/rx SIP packets which by default is 5060 and is being hit by script kiddies looking for trouble. At least that's my understanding.

I set mine to 5065 and so far...  no "asterisk" problem. All other default port settings were left as is to be able to register with Voip.ms.

X_InboundCallRoute  (ph)

which I changed to {asterisk:},{(xxx):},{'asterisk':},{('asterisk'):},{ph}

which hopefully dumps any incoming "asterisk" CID or three digit sets to null.

Worth a try.

N.B.

Loughary

Northern.Bob... thanks I've made the suggested changes I'll give it a try...I know if I get many more 3am phone calls the wife is going to beat me with the phone.

Loughary

Quote from: Northern.Bob on June 30, 2011, 11:48:41 AM
Try just changing these two settings in Voice Services>Sp1 and/or Sp2:

X_UserAgentPort (5060)

This port is the UDP port for tx/rx SIP packets which by default is 5060 and is being hit by script kiddies looking for trouble. At least that's my understanding.

I set mine to 5065 and so far...  no "asterisk" problem. All other default port settings were left as is to be able to register with Voip.ms.

X_InboundCallRoute  (ph)

which I changed to {asterisk:},{(xxx):},{'asterisk':},{('asterisk'):},{ph}

which hopefully dumps any incoming "asterisk" CID or three digit sets to null.

Worth a try.

N.B.

Just wanted to provide a update...since I made the changes recommended by Northern.Bob I haven't received any more incoming "asterisk" calls.  

Thanks.

Northern.Bob

Great! Thanks for reporting back on this.

NB

neilio

I found this thread as I've been suffering from the same problem ever since I switch from a SPA2102 to the OBI100. I'm not exactly sure where I should be inserting the {asterisk:},{(xxx):},{'asterisk':},{('asterisk'):} string into the X_InboundCallRoute field as I have a ton of other stuff in there. I think it's all of the trusted callers I've added.

Should the above string go just before the {ph}?

Also, will switching the port affect registration at all?

RonR

I've experienced quite a bit of this in recent times.  I haven't found anything that will block it 100%.

I would recommend adding {asterisk:}, at the beginning of:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {asterisk:},...

where x is 1 and/or 2 where you have a VoIP provider configured.