News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

3 way call

Started by cj4331, March 15, 2016, 02:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj4331

I'm using the OBI connected to GV via Google chat protocol as my home phone.  I made a call today and during the conversation wanted to initiate a call to another person and join them in.  My research suggests that's not possible with my setup but then again the info I find is quite old now.  Is it possible?  Thanks.

restamp

I do it all the time.  It works the conventional way:  While on a call, flash the hook, dial the 3rd party, and flash again.  After the ringing starts on the 3rd party's call, you can flash back to your original call immediately and the new party will be bridged onto the call when and if they pick up.

Now, making a 4-way call -- *that's* a challenge!

cj4331

And you use the obi direct to GV with the google chat protocol vs through a VOIP provider?  Hope so, I'll give it try when I can find a couple people to try with.

LTN1

Quote from: cj4331 on March 15, 2016, 06:35:30 PM
And you use the obi direct to GV with the google chat protocol vs through a VOIP provider?  Hope so, I'll give it try when I can find a couple people to try with.

Like restamp says, you do three way calling with the OBi and GV the same way as in any phone...by using the flash hook to put one party on hold, dial to the new number then flash hook again to connect all parties.

But seriously...with all the time waiting for an answer, you could have simply tried it--unless you didn't know how to do 3-way calling with a normal telephone line.

Additionally, why wait around for a couple of people to try this with? Reading your ignorance is like pulling teeth! All you have to do is call a number like toll free information at 800-555-1212, push flash hook to put that call on hold, then dial the same number again, and when it answers, push flash hook to connect all three. If you hear the the automated information at different stages, you got 3-way working. It doesn't take waiting around for a couple of people just to see it works. It doesn't take waiting for a few hours for someone to reply to you on a forum.

What the heck is wrong with people coming to ask a simple question in a forum that they could have at least just take a minute to try it first?

Rick

Quote from: LTN1 on March 15, 2016, 07:40:31 PM
Quote from: cj4331 on March 15, 2016, 06:35:30 PM
And you use the obi direct to GV with the google chat protocol vs through a VOIP provider?  Hope so, I'll give it try when I can find a couple people to try with.

Like restamp says, you do three way calling with the OBi and GV the same way as in any phone...by using the flash hook to put one party on hold, dial to the new number then flash hook again to connect all parties.

But seriously...with all the time waiting for an answer, you could have simply tried it--unless you didn't know how to do 3-way calling with a normal telephone line.

Additionally, why wait around for a couple of people to try this with? Reading your ignorance is like pulling teeth! All you have to do is call a number like toll free information at 800-555-1212, push flash hook to put that call on hold, then dial the same number again, and when it answers, push flash hook to connect all three. If you hear the the automated information at different stages, you got 3-way working. It doesn't take waiting around for a couple of people just to see it works. It doesn't take waiting for a few hours for someone to reply to you on a forum.

What the heck is wrong with people coming to ask a simple question in a forum that they could have at least just take a minute to try it first?

Steve, Steve is that you?    :D

The reality is that most people are lazy.  I participate in maybe 1/2 dozen forums of various interests of mine, and in all of them people ask questions that were answered 2 minutes ago, and never do a search first.  Unscientifically, it seems to be that the more technical the user base, the less of it exists.  On an F-150 forum it's mind numbing the questions you get. 

dircom

Quote from: Rick on March 17, 2016, 08:49:22 AM
 On an F-150 forum it's mind numbing the questions you get.  

You ought to work in tech support, some people call in and think their monitor (although they don't even know what that is), is their computer.  Or they think their cordless phone is going to work in a power outage (because "my cordless phone has a battery") btw, that customer stated he was not stupid, because he had a PHD.  I told him it still won't work, even if he had a PHD

Rick

Many years ago I worked in programming and we had to do a day in support.  Days of phone couplers.  We had to say "have you verified that when you picked up the phone, before you dialed, you have dial tone"?