News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setup obi1062 only on wifi???

Started by JDJD, March 15, 2016, 02:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDJD

Im trying to setup an Obi1062 only on wifi.  I was able to complete a test dial calling **9 222-222-222. I then went to Add an Obi device on ObiTalk website following these steps:
Please pick up the telephone handset, and dial **5 3848
You may hang-up when you hear the automated response.
I don't hear an automated response.  The phone displays a message on the screen saying the code was sent to OBI Talk, but nothing happens.
The website sits idle counting down saying it didn't connect.

Im in an office where I don't have access to a router so I can't connect to a router.  Either Im doing something totally wrong or I can't use wifi for the first setup or some firewall at my office is blocking the action.  I would think if the echo phone line worked my firewall wouldn't be blocking this.

Any advice?

Thank you.

JDJD

Ok so I went home and connected the phone on my home wifi.  The steps to connect completed.

So that means the following:
1.  You can setup the phone using wifi
2.  Something else was blocking the phone.  Probably the firewall.  Which is odd because I was still able to use the echo line.

I'm going to see if I bring the phone back to work now that it is setup and see if it works.
I will update.

JDJD

Further updates:

I brought the phone back to my office connected to wifi and everything is working smoothly.  I was even able to make edits on obitalk website that were sent to my phone successfully.

I saw a significant amount of posts where people had the same problem as me: where they couldn't get the device recognized on setup, but the echo dial worked.  I still don't know 100% what caused it, but Im thinking something with the firewall preventing that communication.  Maybe that first device communication is done in a different way than the other communication operations and can therefore get blocked.

Anyway if you have a problem with the obitalk finding your device try to go to an open wifi / internet source and setup the phone.  After you have it set up connect back to your original source and the phone should work fine.