News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting my landline number and local calls

Started by Trespasser, March 16, 2016, 05:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trespasser

Hi,
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I live in an area (mountains of southwest Virginia...very rural) where my present Google Voice number (276-325-XXXX) doesn't work for some  friends and family without it costing them long distance charges. They all can call me now with my landline number (276-926-XXXX) for nothing as a local call. My question, if I port my landline number over to an Obi device via Google Voice can they still call me for free like they presently do, or will my ported home number be treated as a long distance number?

Hope I explained it well enough.

Thanks for any help on this.

Regards,
Bob

Taoman

Your question is probably moot since if you live in a "very rural" area then chances are you won't be able to port to Google Voice anyway. Go to the url listed below and enter in your landline number (disregard verbiage about "mobile phone number").

https://www.google.com/voice/porting?pli=1

If you get back a message that says:

Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support.

then you will be unable to port that landline number to Google Voice.

If you can't port to GV then this may be your cheapest option assuming CircleNet is able to port your number:

http://www.circlenet.us/Obi_special.html

PS. But to answer your question, if you are able to port your landline number it will still be a local call for your friends and family

Trespasser

Quote from: Taoman on March 16, 2016, 07:01:45 PM
PS. But to answer your question, if you are able to port your landline number it will still be a local call for your friends and family

Thank you, Taoman, for answering my question. It's very much appreciated.  :).

It was important to me to know that none of my friends and family would bear any expense should they wish to call my wife or I. Your answer eases my mind. Thank you again.

BTW, I know I'll have to port my present landline number over to a pre-paid cell phone first and then to Google Voice for this to work properly.

Best regards,
Bob