News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 110 plus Google Voice Set-up without OBiTalk.

Started by chestnutter, March 16, 2016, 11:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chestnutter

I apologize ahead of time, if this has been ask here before, but I could not find any resource on this matter.   I would like to set-up and configure my OBi110 with Google Voice manually without the use of the OBiTalk portal. I have deleted it from the OBiTalk and did a factory reset.  Did a minimal set-up with a ITSP Profile A Signaling Protocol and SIP Credentials only.  I am also getting a SP1 Service Status of Backing Off (###):Authentication error.  I would also appreciate very much if anyone could point me in the right direction if this is even possible.

My OBi 110 info:
HardwareVersion   3.4
SoftwareVersion   1.3.0 (Build: 2824)

Thank you in advance.

SteveInWA

Get with the program.  You can't, and there is NO reason to do so.  Use the portal.

See my step-by-step instructions here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

chestnutter

Thanks Steve for that quick response, but the portal is asking me to pay like some sort of ransom.  Sorry if I sounded skeptical but I felt that they did a bait and switch on me.  My apologies and thanks again for your response.

chestnutter

Thank you for all your advice and excellent tutorials Steve.  I will follow them.  I appreciate all your help.

Mango

Steve, I am sorry to disagree with you.  It is in fact possible to set up Google Voice, without the portal, with firmware 1.3.0 2824.  As far as I know, this is the last firmware version (for the 1xx) the allows this.  However, once you have updated, you cannot downgrade.

ITSP Profile X >> General
SignalingProtocol: Google Voice

Voice Services >> SPX Service:
AuthUserName: My Google email address
AuthPassword: My Google password

All other settings are left at default.

I also had to turn on "Access for less secure apps": http://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on March 17, 2016, 08:25:57 PM
Steve, I am sorry to disagree with you.  It is in fact possible to set up Google Voice, without the portal, with firmware 1.3.0 2824.  As far as I know, this is the last firmware version (for the 1xx) the allows this.  However, once you have updated, you cannot downgrade.

I also had to turn on "Access for less secure apps": http://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

As you well know, that method is obsolete, less secure, and not supported.

LTN1

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 18, 2016, 12:25:26 PM

But he wants to show that he knows a little more than you Steve. Would you deny him that hope?

SteveInWA

Quote from: LTN1 on March 18, 2016, 12:50:44 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on March 18, 2016, 12:25:26 PM

But he wants to show that he knows a little more than you Steve. Would you deny him that hope?

Seriously, it's simply irresponsible to continue posting information on the very-outdated authentication method.  Google and Obihai cooperated to do away with that security exposure; it's well past time to move on.  If it's a matter of "technically", you can do this", well, technically, I can light my BBQ with liquid oxygen, but it produces rather well-done meat along with a melted BBQ.

chestnutter

BTW gentlemen, I also noticed that my Soft Phone OBi Number is different than my actual OBi 110 device.  Will this caused any configuration issues?  If so, do I need to remove the the Soft Phone from the OBiDash portal?

Mango

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 18, 2016, 12:59:57 PMIf it's a matter of "technically", you can do this",

No, it's a matter of choosing what risk I'm going to take.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to retrieve a password from an OBi ATA.  Even if I'm wrong, and a hacker figures out how to get past my restricted cone NAT router and finds out what my Google password is, as a free service it has no real value.  Remember that we also use password authentication for SIP - granted, with a nonce, but only hashed with MD5.  So, I don't think using password authentication for Google Voice with an OBi ATA presents a significant risk.

The alternative of course is to upgrade the firmware on my mission-critical out-of-warranty device that has a documented history of bricking during firmware upgrades (albeit not recent - but not non-existent), made by a manufacturer that has a history of removing features, not allowing firmware downgrade, and not providing release notes for firmware versions.

Hmm.  Which should I choose?

drgeoff

Quote from: chestnutter on March 18, 2016, 01:16:39 PM
BTW gentlemen, I also noticed that my Soft Phone OBi Number is different than my actual OBi 110 device.  Will this caused any configuration issues?  If so, do I need to remove the the Soft Phone from the OBiDash portal?
The Soft Phone number is for use with - surprise, surprise - a softphone in the guise of Obion for Android or Obion for iOS. It jolly well needs to be different from your OBi110 or anyone else's OBi ATA.  You do not have to use it and it causes no conflicts or problems if left on your Dashboard.

chestnutter