News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Answering machine or Google voicemail and notification

Started by cheerful, March 17, 2016, 07:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheerful

I have a traditional phone with answering machine at home.  Just converted to go with OBI 200 and Google voice.

I am wondering what I should do with voice mail or answering machine

1. Go with the answering machine.  I won't get notification of missed call until I get home.  Google voice consider the answering machine as a connected call and won't send me email about missing call either.

2. Go with Google voicemail.  I am not sure how this would work from phone at home.  If it's connected to my email or so, I am not sure how it works with more than 1 person.

Any suggestions?

thanks

LTN1

This is quite a personal choice and decision. If you don't have an answering machine hooked up yet, then why not just try using GV as your voicemail for a few weeks and see if you like it. It's free to use. If you don't like it, try the answering machine. Isn't that just common sense?

Rick

Quote from: LTN1 on March 17, 2016, 08:21:57 AM
This is quite a personal choice and decision. If you don't have an answering machine yet, then why not just try using GV as your voicemail for a few weeks and see if you like it. It's free to use. If you don't like it, try the answering machine. Isn't that just common sense?

OP says "I have a traditional phone with answering machine at home"...

OP - from what you mentioned, the only reason to go with the home answering machine is IF you have multiple mailboxes and IF that's a must-have.  Otherwise, having GV record the message, and then transcribe and email it to you is a huge benefit.  Plus, as you noted, with GV taking the message you know you have one.  With the answering machine you don't know you have a message NOR even know you had someone call, until you get home (or check the GV call list). 

cheerful

Looks like Google voice can send notice to a single person (drop down in voicemail notifications).  So there is no simple way to make it notifying 2 people (or all in the family).  Is that true?

Thanks

Rick

Setup an email forward with your provider like voicemails@comcast.net, and have it forward to everyone you want it to...

LTN1

Quote from: cheerful on March 17, 2016, 02:14:13 PM
Looks like Google voice can send notice to a single person (drop down in voicemail notifications).  So there is no simple way to make it notifying 2 people (or all in the family).  Is that true?

Thanks

If GV is sending a copy to your GMail...GMail can be configured to forward to multiple e-mails. The detailed instructions are in this link: http://gappstips.com/gmail/automatically-forward-emails-to-multiple-recipients-in-gmail/

cheerful

Thanks for the tip.  I will try to set it up.

Another quick thought.  If I add this google account and installed Hangouts on both phones, is there a setup that I will receive both voice mail on the phone?

Thanks

LTN1

Take a read to see if you you can do it on both phones: https://support.google.com/voice/answer/6023920?hl=en

Personally, I don't use Google voicemail since I have a PBX system with notification and voicemail to e-mail as part of the system.

Rick

Quote from: cheerful on March 17, 2016, 06:33:49 PM
Thanks for the tip.  I will try to set it up.

Another quick thought.  If I add this google account and installed Hangouts on both phones, is there a setup that I will receive both voice mail on the phone?

Thanks

I use GV.  I don't use Hangouts.  However, I don't know how you "install Hangouts" on a phone...  Nor do I know how to receive voicemail on a phone.  People call the number, Google Voice (web) picks up and takes the message, and emails you that you the message.  The message is not "on the phone", it's in the cloud and you dial in to get it, or read/play it via email. 

Taoman

Quote from: Rick on March 18, 2016, 11:15:01 AM
However, I don't know how you "install Hangouts" on a phone...  Nor do I know how to receive voicemail on a phone.   

Hangouts has apps for both Android and iOS. That's how you install it. And yes, you can receive voicemails in Hangouts on your phone. You get a transcription or you can just press the button and listen to it.

I use it on my iPad Air 2 (via WifI, no cellular capabilities) and it is now how I make and receive most GV calls as the call quality/fidelity is superb.

Rick

Thought the OP was referring to the phones connected to the OBi...

You don't need Hangouts to use GV. I have the Voice app on my phone and tablet and it works fine.  You would get notified on ALL devices you install apps on IF it is for that user ID.

Taoman

Quote from: Rick on March 18, 2016, 11:46:43 AM
Thought the OP was referring to the phones connected to the OBi...

You could very well be correct. I just saw "OBi 200" and "both phones" and assumed the OP meant cell phones but I am probably mistaken. In which case your point is well taken. How do you "install" Hangouts on an OBi connected phone?

Yeah, I had to move to the GV Voice app on my Android phone because Hangouts would not play nice with my car's bluetooth even though it's a 2015 model. GV Voice app works perfectly with my car's bluetooth.

cheerful

I meant to say installing Hangouts on my cell phones.  I can now confirm that Hangouts on both phones will receive the transcripts.  I think this will be my solution, at least for now.

Answering machine off
Turn on Google voice mail
Installed Hangouts on both mobile phones

Rick