OBI110: Caller ID works on SP1; stops working after adding Google Voice on SP2

Started by snappingturtle, March 18, 2016, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snappingturtle

Odd situation I'm seeing.  Inbound CNAM works great with callcentric until I add google voice.  After adding google voice, I only see number.  If i then remove google voice, inbound caller id works once more.

Any ideas how to fix?  I want to use callcentric for inbound, and google voice for outbound.

ModelName   OBi110
HardwareVersion   2.8
SoftwareVersion   1.3.0 (Build: 2872)

Thx!

N7AS

GoogleVoice does not support CNAM. If you add your Calcentric number as a forwarding phone with your GV number, CNAM should work.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

snappingturtle

N7AS,

Yes, I'm aware of that.  I'm not using google voice for inbound, only outbound.

The act of adding GV to SP2 seems to be destroying inbound caller ID for callcentric on SP1.

Any other ideas?

Thx!

SteveInWA

You haven't adequately described your full inbound call path.  Please post the complete details.  For example, which number are people calling, a GV number, or a CC number.  If it's a GV number, is that number now provisioned directly on SP2, or is the GV number being forwarded through CC?  I hope you are not trying to use both methods, one on SP1 and one on SP2. 

There is no way we can magically understand your setup unless you explain the issue in more detail; as-is, it makes no sense.

snappingturtle

Thanks for the feedback.

I use google voice.  I forward from there to callcentric for inbound calls.  "forward calls to google chat" in google voice settings is unchecked.

GV (my google voice number)  -- forwards --> CC (NY Free number)

On the OBI110, I have provisioned through the obitalk wizards:
* SP1 to use CC free NY Number. (for inbound)
* SP2 to use GV (for outbound)

What I observe:

* If someone calls my google voice number, I do not see CNAM.
* If someone calls my NY number directly, I *do* see CNAM.
* If I unprovision google voice from SP2 and then someone calls my google voice number, I *do* see CNAM.

Very quirky.

I hope this clarifies.  I think it's a pretty common configuration for free outgoing, and incoming that should provide CNAM using a google voice number.

SteveInWA

Thanks; that's a much clearer explanation.

As you mentioned, it should simply work, as far as I can tell from here.  It does, in fact work on OBi 2xx devices, but there may be something fishy going on with the old 110 design.

I think it would be worth doing the following experiment:

• Delete your OBi 110 off of your OBiTALK dashboard completely.  Wait a few minutes and watch the LEDs on the 110 until the red LED blinks for a while while it is remotely reset.  After that is finished,
  • Unplug the Ethernet cable from the 110.  Then, with power on, and just the telephone attached, key ***8 and then key 1 to initiate a factory-reset of the device.  Again, watch and wait.
  • After the LEDs stabilize, unplug the device from power.  Plug the Ethernet cable back in.  Plug the power cable back in.  After it reboots,
  • Use the ***5 procedure to add the device back to your OBiTALK dashboard.  This time, when asked, configure Google Voice (not Callcentric) on SP1, and make it the default for outbound calls.  During this procedure, very carefully read the gmail address displayed in the Google authentication window, to confirm that it is the same gmail address being used on your Google Voice account; it is very easy to log into more than one Google account on a browser.
  • Add a check-mark next to Google Chat on your Google Voice Settings page, Phones tab.  Confirm that both inbound and outbound calling work properly, including display of caller ID number (not CNAM, of course).  If it does work both ways, then remove the check-mark next to Chat, and,
  • Return to the OBiTALK dashboard, and click SP2.  Scroll down to the bottom of the next page, and click the link to configure OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers.  On the next page, select Callcentric and fill in your SIP credentials.  Test that direct calls to the CC number do work properly, displaying CID and CNAM.  IF that works, then proceed to the final test:
  • See if CNAM displays on a call made to your GV number, forwarded to your CC number, which is provisioned on your OBi.

snappingturtle

Thanks for the very detailed reset steps!

It's good to hear confirmation that this works well with the 2xx models.  I may end up upgrading to one to solve my issue.

A few days back I went through a full factory reset pretty much as you've described, starting with dashboard removal then device reset using a pin under the device upon power-on.  I might just try it once more following your instructions/advice.

I've had my OBi 110 since early 2011.  It's been awesome!  When I first got it, I only had it configured for GV.  When voice support was removed, I switched to CC.  Then when GV came back, I re-provisioned or GV.  But I miss my CNAM. :-)  That's why i'm going through this now.

SteveInWA

Just to be clear, it should work with a OBi 110, but I haven't tested it recently.  I want to see what happens when you follow my exact steps, in that exact order, including swapping SP slots and verifying your gmail account.

snappingturtle

Running through these steps helped me narrow down the problem.  Thx!

It does work fine now.

The problem was not because of the OBI, it was google voice.

For some reason, the checkboxes in google voice settings are no longer working for me.  They *always* forward.  I tried each one.  Even if I uncheck all of them, they all ring.

I had to edit the chat forwarding to never ring weekdays or weekends.  That did the trick.  Wow, I did not expect that.

Update: I found out why the google voice forwarding checkboxes did nothing.  My "all contacts" circle, two tabs over in google voice settings overrode the defaults. Sigh.  Checkboxes working normally now.

Again, thanks for all of the help.