News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI200 help

Started by hopkid, March 27, 2016, 04:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopkid

Hello Support Forum. Thank you to anyone taking the time to consider a response to this.

I'm unable to get service to my OBI200. I'm using a Netgear WNR1000. I have done factory resets on both the OBI and the Router. DHCP is enabled, and works for all other devices attached to my router, but will not issue an IP to the OBI. I have then forced a static IP to get the device to connect. I have also establish a DMZ server and opened all the TDP/UPC ports to the OBI IP address. I still am unable to get service (ie: no luck calling **9-222-222-222), and thus, I'm not able to add the device to OBI talk. I really don't understand this thing, I shouldn't have to use a static IP. One odd thing is even with a static IP and ping enable, I do not receiver any response with I ping the IP and I cannot log on that IP address to manage the OBI.

I'm left with either and OBI, with DHCP enable, with a flashing green power light (searching for IP), or with a static IP, I'm unable to get service to the OBI200. I really appreciate any help. I have sent support an email, but they have not responded after two days. Thanks for the help.

SteveInWA

It should simply work, with no DMZ or static IP settings.  Can you take the OBi somewhere else (to a neighbor, friend or family member's location) and try it on a different router/network?  Have you tried swapping out the Ethernet cable, and using a different Ethernet jack on the router?

That's a pretty old/obsolete router.  You might want to take this opportunity to upgrade.

drgeoff

As SteveInWA says, it should work on DHCP.

You didn't say how you forced a static IP but did you also set addresses for gateway and DNS? It won't work unless you do?

And can you confirm this is definitely an Obi200 and not a 202?

hopkid

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 27, 2016, 04:53:50 PM
It should simply work, with no DMZ or static IP settings.  Can you take the OBi somewhere else (to a neighbor, friend or family member's location) and try it on a different router/network?  Have you tried swapping out the Ethernet cable, and using a different Ethernet jack on the router?

That's a pretty old/obsolete router.  You might want to take this opportunity to upgrade.

I have swapped jacks and cords to troubleshoot, no change. I do not see how it's the router though. I have many devices on that router (Ipads, phones, TV... and they all work). The router is 6 years old, but works fine.

I may have to try the OBI on another persons network, I have not tried that yet.

hopkid

Quote from: drgeoff on March 28, 2016, 01:31:02 AM
As SteveInWA says, it should work on DHCP.

You didn't say how you forced a static IP but did you also set addresses for gateway and DNS? It won't work unless you do?

And can you confirm this is definitely an Obi200 and not a 202?

It is an Obi200. I set the IP and Mac on the router, and then used the function on the phone to match the IP address. I used the same gateway I was getting on my PC. I will double check I have the DNS correct. I should be able to ping the device, so something here doesn't match up.

It would still be nice to have the DHCP work so I don't have to re-learn all this networking stuff. Anyone have any advice on a better work to contact Obi support?

SteveInWA

How old is your OBi device?  If it's more than a year old, your telephone support entitlement has expired, so they won't respond to you, unless you pay to renew your support for another year.

hopkid

Bought it this past Christmas. They finally responded to my email.

SteveInWA

Cool.  What did they say?

hopkid

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 28, 2016, 12:49:06 PM
Cool.  What did they say?

From the email "Is it possible that you have setup some kind of MAC filtering on the router?  This might stop the router from giving DHCP based IP address to the OBi.

When you setup a static IP on the OBi200, can you actually ping that IP address from your computer?  If you can't – that means that the router is not routing / or finding the OBi200 (even with static IP)."

I have 7-8 other wired/wireless devices that never needed any special IP configurations. I'll try again tonight with the static IP and proper DNS/gateway. Thanks for the help.

SteveInWA

What they are asking is whether or not you enabled a form of security on your router that only accepts DHCP lease requests from MAC addresses that you explicitly type into a list in the router.  If you did that, then the router would ignore the OBi, because its MAC address isn't in the router's table of allowed addresses.

I still think it would be worthwhile to plug the OBi into some other router to test it.  There is no reason whatsoever that it wouldn't work with a properly-configured router, unless that router has a firmware bug, or an incorrect setting.

hopkid

So I can't get the device to return a ping. I'm not sure I have the correct information. When I enter an IP address on the OBI, my router will find it automatically, I can verify by the MAC address. But I'm still not able to ping the device or dial the test number. I tried setting up the static IP, but it also isn't working.

I set the obi200 to 192.168.1.254

These are the option in the router (there is no changing the DNS for the static IP):
Destination IP Address   192.168.1.254
IP Subnet Mask   255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address   192.168.1.1
Metric   3

I've tried swapping the destination and gateway IP in case I had those backwards. I've also tried a few metrics and and 255.255.255.0 as the subnet. Nothing seems to work.

SteveInWA

The subnet mask must be 255.255.255.0 not 255.255.255.255

The default gateway is 192.168.1.1

I don't know why you can't get it to work.  Again, try it with a different router, or send it back and give up.

hopkid

I was able to barrow a friends spare router.

Same problem. All other devices connect except the obi200. Interesting though, when I'm not connected to my modem, I am able to connect to the obi200. This is with dhcp enabled on either router, it didn't matter. So something is going on with my modem or through comcast, and it's disrupting or blocking the IP address to the Obi.. any thoughts?

SteveInWA

That makes no sense whatsoever.  I can't see how being connected to your Comcast modem would have any impact on the OBi obtaining an IP address from the router, if that is what you meant.  Are you certain that you factory-reset the OBi, and then didn't change anything at all?  Factory reset it by keying ***8 on the attached telephone, then  press 1 to confirm.

Perhaps someone else will have a brainstorm.

LTN1

I would try it at someone else's house using their router and internet connection. If a friend would allow that, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to find out if it works or not. If it doesn't, I would order a new OBi device or, if it is too much trouble, then try an easier VoIP alternative with more tech support--but do expect to pay more for such a device and service. The OBis, while excellent for 95% of the people who use it, isn't for everyone and every setting.

hopkid

Thank you both for your help.

I have no idea what is going on with the internet service. I may call comcast tomorrow. Local network only, I can get the DHCP to work on either router. Once the IP's established, it will take several attempts at restarting the modem before I'm giving a DNS and allowed on comcast's server. This is odd. If I disconnect the OBI, I can get right back on the internet.

So now, I have an IP (solid green power light), and my internet is working fine, but no service (service unavailable from *99-222222222).

Last resort will be another's house, I think this thing is bad though.

SteveInWA

What is the brand and model of the Comcast cable device you have?  Is it a ARRIS/Motorola "Surfboard" modem, or some sort of Xfinity integrated gateway (combining modem, router, WiFi access point and optional telephone adapter)?

If it's the latter, you could have a double-NAT situation, or two different DNS servers active, clashing with each other.  The simpler configuration would be a Surfboard modem plugged into your own router.

hopkid

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 28, 2016, 07:35:49 PM
What is the brand and model of the Comcast cable device you have?  Is it a ARRIS/Motorola "Surfboard" modem, or some sort of Xfinity integrated gateway (combining modem, router, WiFi access point and optional telephone adapter)?

If it's the latter, you could have a double-NAT situation, or two different DNS servers active, clashing with each other.  The simpler configuration would be a Surfboard modem plugged into your own router.

Thank you so much Steve for taking the time to help. Obi should have you on payroll. I have a ZyXEL BRG35503 DOCSIS 3.0. I finally was able to ping the obi device too. For some reason only responds maybe once in 12 tries... still no service on the test call. I have an IP, and the internet is working.. but I definately have to have the modem unplugged to establish the link to the router, then reset the modem 2 or 3 times to get the internet working.

SteveInWA

Get a new modem.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/End-of-Support-ZyXel-BRG-35503/td-p/2650191

For example, this one:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825390001

I don't have any other suggestions until you try using your OBi on some other person's network.

hopkid

To those of you who helped me, thank you. I finally got my OBI200 to work. There was an issue with my Cable company and the MAC of the OBI. After much troubleshooting, we were able to let the device on to comcast's network. Ultimately, whenever my home network was disconnected from the ISP, I could find the OBI200 just fine, but when then connected to comcast, I would either be completely disconnected from the internet, or the OBI200 would get kicked of my home network. Thanks again for the help.