News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple obihai devices?

Started by cleacy, March 30, 2016, 06:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleacy

I'm trying to setup 2 obihai 202 ata's on the same network segment. It's not working, and i've tried various combinations: Not quite sure where i'm going wrong.

The devices both work individually if they're connected in front of the router. I tried connecting the 2 in serial in front of the router, and only the first one worked. I've also tried connecting both individually/and in parallel behind the router, and neither combination of that is working properly.

The router is a dlink DIR-862L, and the sip provider is freephoneline.ca

I'm well aware i've got something configured incorrectly, however, while I figure that out - Is it possible to have two obihai adapters on the same network segment in the first place, in serial/parallel or both?

Taoman

I would suggest you configure the two 202s for "bridge mode" and put them behind your router. I have two OBi ATAs behind my router on the same subnet and they both work fine. But then my ATAs aren't routing anything either and I'm assuming yours are.

cleacy

Thanks, I would guess a lot may have to do with configuration i'm using on either the obihai or the router causing problems.

I tried switching both obihai's to bridge, and connecting them behind the router. The obitalk echo test (**9 222 222 222) works successfully with both. I do get dialtone when I attempt to place a call, it rings, then nothing.

I did try unplugging one of them and placing the other in dmz on the router (dir-862L) with alg for sip both disabled and enabled (same effect). I only seem to be able to get them to work in front of the router.

I have switched one of them back to router mode, the other to bridge, and placed them both in serial in front of the router (modem>routerobi>bridgeobi>dir862l). With that setup I can make calls properly with both units -however- I can only place an outbound call from 'bridgeobi' if 'routerobi' has also placed an outbound call recently. Is it possible there's a firewall setting on the obihai i'm missing?

SteveInWA

I believe this issue is specific to freephoneline.  I don't have time to search through the forum, but there are some past discussions about changing certain ports to work properly with freephoneline / fongo.

I currently have 3 OBi devices all on the same LAN subnet, and all work fine with Google Voice and Callcentric.  You probably need to at least change the user agent port on one of the two OBis.

cleacy

Thanks, i'll search the forums for anything specific to freephoneline/fongo.

From playing around, the exact problem on (obibridge) - It can only make and establish (haven't tested receive yet btw) an outbound call if that same box makes a call to the obitalk echo test immediately prior (regardless of what obi#1 obirouter has done)

SteveInWA

Quote from: cleacy on March 31, 2016, 10:38:12 AM
Thanks, i'll search the forums for anything specific to freephoneline/fongo.

From playing around, the exact problem on (obibridge) - It can only make and establish (haven't tested receive yet btw) an outbound call if that same box makes a call to the obitalk echo test immediately prior (regardless of what obi#1 obirouter has done)

Yes, you have a problem:  you can only register one device at a time to your freephoneline account's SIP credentials.  Since they offer unlimited calling on that registration, it's considered abuse to share it with more than one device.  They're detecting that you are using multiple user agents (OBi devices) and blocking that scenario.  This is to prevent person A from paying for service, and then sharing his service with person B.  This is the same approach taken by VoIP providers like Vonage, who lock down their ATAs.

If you want to use multiple OBis, then either get another paid SIP credential from freephoneline, or use a different service provider.

cleacy

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 31, 2016, 10:46:47 AM
If you want to use multiple OBis, then either get another paid SIP credential from freephoneline, or use a different service provider.

I do have multiple paid sip credentials from them - It worked just fine with only using a single obihai, however, I needed to add a 3rd phoneline / purchased another obihai for the additional phoneports - My problem is getting them to work together.

Putting both lines on the same device works with no problems (with the obihai as router in front of my router). Right now i'm trying to split them so line1 is on device1, and line2 is on device2

Worst case I can (probably!) setup all 3 lines on a single obihai, and have it route the 3rd line through obitalk to the phone port on the 2nd device

drgeoff

1. Put both Obis in parallel behind the router using their WAN ports.  If not connecting anything to their LAN ports the setting of router or bridge mode does not really matter. Invoking DMZ, firewall, port forwarding etc should not be necessary.

2. How many phones do you have and how do you want them plugged into the OBi's?  And which phones do you want to ring when a call comes in on each of the 3 accounts?  And which phones do you want to be able to make outgoing calls on each account?

3. Each account should be configured on ONE OBi ONLY.  Easiest is all on one OBi.

4.  Configure the OBis to forward incoming and outgoing calls between themselves to meet your answers to questions in #2 above.

cleacy

While likely another problem (though may or may not be related), i've never been able to get the obihai itself to work behind the router, only in front of it. Obitalk works, but not other sips.

I've moved back to just the single device connected, bridge mode, behind router. The existing setup works just fine in front of the router (with 2 lines), just not behind it.

The end result is i'd like to have 3 active unique lines on 3 of the 4 ports of both devices, with all phones able to send/receive on their designated line.

I'll poke at it a bit more, and if I don't see any reason why it's not working i'll move it back to obi#1 in front of the router with the lines configured on it, and see whether I can connect obi#2 behind the router, and just configure obi#1 to handle line#3 also, but direct the calls to obi#2 for the physical connection for line#3

drgeoff

Quote from: cleacy on March 31, 2016, 12:42:36 PM
While likely another problem (though may or may not be related), i've never been able to get the obihai itself to work behind the router, only in front of it. Obitalk works, but not other sips.
Either you are doing something wrong or you have a cr*p router.  :(

cleacy

Either you are doing something wrong or you have a cr*p router.  :(

I don't think i'm doing anything wrong, but it being a crap (dlink DIR-862L) router wouldn't surprise me. There was a recent router firmware update posted, but that made no difference. I'm just going to go back to all lines working on the obihai in front of the router, and i'll try directing a call to the 2nd obihai (behind the router) through obitalk. If that doesn't work, i'll just buy a new router :(

Thanks all for the help - The important answer is

1) The obihai should be placed behind the router, not in front of it. If that doesn't work, look at your router.
2) Multiple obihai devices should work on the same network. If everything is setup properly and it still doesn't work, look at your router.

Mango

First check that your modem is in bridge mode, or that your D-Link router's WAN address is a public IP address (NOT beginning with 192.168 or 10.)  If it is already that way, you may wish to try the following:

Perhaps your router's SIP ALG is preventing your devices from working behind it.  If your router has a setting for SIP ALG, try to disable it.  If it doesn't have such a setting, or if that does not solve the problem, you may wish to use alternate port numbers.

Follow step 5 on page 2 of http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16196 to use voip4.freephoneline.ca on port 6060.  The link is for an OBi100 but the settings are the same.

I suggest you also set your X_UserAgentPort (from within Voice Services -> SPx Service) to a unique number between 20000 and 65535 for all three lines.  For example: 30001, 30002, and 30003.

This might allow you to use your ATAs behind your router.  Let us know how things go.

cleacy

With the obihais behind the router, the router had a public ip. I had also tried sip alg on and off. I tried selecting voip4/6060, but that didn't make a difference. Neither did changing the user agent port :(

At this time, I have one obihai in front of the router (configured as router), with 3 individual sips configured on it. I have a second obihai behind the router (set as bridge), accessing obihai #1 as a gateway. Sip 1 is connected to obi1ph1, sip 2 obi1ph2, and sip3 reroutes through obitalk to obi2ph1. All lines are working properly inbound/outbound with that setup.

I'll continue playing with my settings, and see if I can figure out what's causing the obihai behind my router not to function properly with normal setup. I'd say it has to be user error/not the router, since csipsimple running on my android tablet is working with no problems.

For testing purposes, I also configured 411 to work with mirrored settings to 911. Eventually i'll pay the freephoneline.ca $35 charge to test 911, but not until i'm at a 'preferred' setup.

Thanks again, the most important thing is that it does/should work - I just need to figure out what I did wrong.

cleacy

As a followup - Turns out my router isn't quite so bad anymore: I just rechecked the dd-wrt firmware, and it does work with my router as of about a year ago.

I replaced the firmware with dd-wrt, and moved both obihai devices behind the router. I'll probably want to reverse the changes i'd made on them, however, without doing anything they both are working properly behind the router now - Issues with the previous setup attempts had to have been the router itself.