News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Obi202 LAN Port

Started by hodag, April 04, 2016, 02:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hodag

I have an Obi 202 that I have used for several years and my usage has been more or less as a telephone adapter via a Bluetooth dongle.  For that it all works fine.  I give the Obi a static IP from my main router and it lives in the DMZ.

A few days ago I moved to a new house and I would like to use the LAN port on the Obi in a different way.  What I am trying to do is connect an older HP All-In-One Printer/Scanner/FAX/Copier to the network.  The HP device has USB interface only with a Type B male plug into the printer and the usual USB A at the computer.  This is a USB 2.0 interface, which I know will be slower than newer gear, but this is just a convenience printer that gets limited usage so I don't care about speed if I am just printer a few pages. 

If I use a USB to RJ45 convertor plug and insert it into the LAN port on the Obi, and I have my main router enabled for DHCP will it get the HP device an IP different from the Obi itself?  I know that what I really need is a wireless print server, but if I can do it with a 99 cent adapter and my OBI, so much the better.  I don't see why being connected via the BT dongle should be any different than being connected via RJ45 straight from the modem.

Has anybody tried this?  Thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

SteveInWA

No, that won't work.

The USB port on the OBi only works with the OBi WiFi dongle to attach the OBi as a network client, to your router, via WiFi.  It can't attach downstream devices via WiFi. and you can't use it to attach a USB printer.

If the HP printer has an ethernet port, use it to connect to your home network, either at a router, switch, or the LAN port on the OBi (the Ethernet jack).  If the HP printer has a WiFi port, use it to connect to your home network.

If the HP printer is so old or cheap that it doesn't have any network capability, then it's time to buy a new printer.

Taoman

I assume you have the 202 in "bridge" mode?  What happens when you plug a PC into a LAN port on your 202? Do you get a DHCP ip address assigned to it?

I doubt it would work since you need a print server somewhere in the picture. Since I doubt your HP printer has an internal print server I think you would need an external print server to print over the network.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on April 04, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I assume you have the 202 in "bridge" mode?  What happens when you plug a PC into a LAN port on your 202? Do you get a DHCP ip address assigned to it?

In theory, it should work but of course no guarantees until you actually try it. Is there a reason you wouldn't plug it into a LAN port on your "main router?" No ports available?

If I use a USB to RJ45 convertor plug and insert it into the LAN port on the Obi, and I have my main router enabled for DHCP will it get the HP device an IP different from the Obi itself?  I know that what I really need is a wireless print server, but if I can do it with a 99 cent adapter and my OBI, so much the better.  I don't see why being connected via the BT dongle should be any different than being connected via RJ45 straight from the modem.

No, this won't work.  The USB port on the printer is designed to plug directly into a computer's USB port (or a hub), and that USB connection works with a device driver on the computer.  It is not a network connection.  You can't use a USB/RJ-45 converter in this instance.  If the printer doesn't have networking capability, then it must plug into either a computer's USB port, or into a print server.

hodag

I figured that would be the response since the printer is "stupid".  I found one procedure on the net for using a proprietary MS protocol to bridge USB to Ethernet that I will try, but I suspect I will be buying a wireless Ethernet hub.

Thanks to all who responded.

drgeoff

The USB-ethernet adapter idea won't work for an additional reason.  USB is a host and client protocol.  That is one reason for the A and B plugs on cables.  The printer is a client device.  It needs to connect to a USB host.  The USB-ethernet adaptor is also a client device.  So even if you were to overcome the immediate problem of how to physically connect the USB end of the adaptor to the USB port of the printer, you would have two USB client devices doing diddly-squat.

hodag

Yes, I figured that out.  The good news is that I found an old router with a built-in USB port that should work as a bridge to my main router.

Now, if you want to really be helpful remind me which of the seemingly hundreds of moving boxes contains the power cable for the printer.  ;D

SteveInWA

How many people does it take to convince you that you cannot "bridge" USB to Ethernet to solve your problem?  You must plug that printer into either a computer's USB port, with the appropriate print driver to communicate with the printer over the USB serial protocol, or you must use a print server, or a router that has a built-in print server.

LTN1

I'm a firm believer of the constitutional right to be stupid and fail. If everyone was smart, society would probably not be able to handle it.

I'm cheering for hodag and wish him many wasted hours towards his fruitless venture.

hodag

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 05, 2016, 01:34:23 PM
How many people does it take to convince you that you cannot "bridge" USB to Ethernet to solve your problem?  You must plug that printer into either a computer's USB port, with the appropriate print driver to communicate with the printer over the USB serial protocol, or you must use a print server, or a router that has a built-in print server.

Isn't that what I said I was going to do?  I bridged two routers, both running DD-WRT, and the last DD-WRT firmware version for the old router had a hack to use the USB port that only did NAS on the Linksys firmware for either printing or NAS.  A bit of tinkering and it worked just fine.